A Patriots Library

A lot but due to today's environment I will note "The Origins of Totalitarianism" by Hannah Arendt. It provides a stark warning about the seductive nature of totalitarianism across the full political spectrum. I will provide the following warning, like any historical work one can easily find parallels to contemporary events based on one's own confirmation bias - it will be easy to find similarities to groups you do not like. But it is a book that should be read and contemplated.

Sunshine_Shooter

Established
It's not really about rights, but Chris Kyle's American Gun was a fun and interesting look into the history of adopted weapons by the US military.

Two that I have read and highly recommend.

The 5000 Year Leap - Principles of Freedom 101
W. Cleon Skousen
I feel this should be required reading and about time I read it again. The book talks about 28 principles which are outlined here (https://nccs.net/blogs/articles/principles-of-liberty-in-our-founding-documents) This book did inspire me to make changes in my life. One in particular was working to become debt free. Paid off everything but the house ($45K in debt paid in 12 months).

That Every Man Be Armed: The Evolution of a Constitutional Right
Steven Halbrook
More of an academic paper going throughout history (Greece, Rome -> England -> Revolution -> Today). The author, Stephen Halbrook, has won and wrote briefs for several Supreme Court cases. It at times feels like you are drudging through it, again academic paper, but it is one the most complete historical references on the 2A I know of.

On my reading list:
Patriot's History of the United States
From Columbus's Great Discovery to the War on Terror
Larry Schweikart and Michael Allen
Daunting at over 800 pages but easily broken up into chunks.

What books are in your library that aid in understanding out history, rights, and similar topics?

In order to aid the study of "rights" you have to build up a foundational ideology. One must understand the reason the second was written--and for that matter--the entirety of the Constitution. I would highly recommend a few books that will help solidify that ideology:

On Liberty by John Suart Mill. The book concretes evidence for individual responsibility. An excerpt from the book: “The only freedom which deserves the name is that of pursuing our own good in our own way, so long as we do not attempt to deprive others of theirs, or impede their efforts to obtain it. Each is the proper guardian of his own health, whether bodily, or mental or spiritual. Mankind are greater gainers by suffering each other to live as seems good to themselves, than by compelling each to live as seems good to the rest.”

The Federalist Papers by Alexander Hamilton, James Madison. A series of articles written by the writers of the Constitution in defense and explanation for each article and the bill of rights. An interesting quote from Federalist 28: "If the representatives of the people betray their constituents, there is then no resource left but in the exertion of that original right of self-defense which is paramount to all positive forms of government, and which against the usurpation's of the national rulers, may be exerted with infinitely better prospect of success than against those of the rulers of an individual state. In a single state, if the persons entrusted with supreme power become usurpers, the different parcels, subdivisions, or districts of which it consists, having no distinct government in each, can take no regular measures for defense. The citizens must rush tumultuously to arms, without concert, without system, without resource; except in their courage and despair."

The Constitution of Liberty by Friedrich Hayek. This is a call to clarify the beliefs of individual freedom. An excerpt: "Liberty not only means that the individual has both the opportunity and the burden of choice; it also means that he must bear the consequences of his actions and will receive praise or blame for them. Liberty and responsibility are inseparable.”

Concerning the right of self defense elusively, I would recommend a study on "natural rights." This is the concept that was alluded to in the Preamble's statement, "certain unalienable rights."

I only have one book for this, and that is the Second Treatise of Government by John Locke. A rather difficult book, it goes through a mans natural rights and how they are protected through government.