A Normal Guy's Walther PDP Reveiw

WAVandal

With the PDPs being out in the real world where the rest of us can get out hands on them, I wanted to post my thoughts about the gun from a sort of average dude's perspective. I'm really no one special, just a 5 year street cop with no military background. Before law enforcement I was in high end sales for about 6 years. I've shot mainly Glocks but have tried to like the P320s and just can't get into them, I think there are some trust issues there. I had a XD45 once upon a time, some 1911s, and P229 I should have never sold. I currently carry a G17.5 MOS with Type 2 RMR, X300U and Dawson magwell. My off-duty is a G19.5 MOS with Type 2 RMR, and TLR7A. Both RMRs are mounted via C&H plates. Each Glock I own gets Vickers slide and mag releases due to personal preference. Currently I consider the Glock 17 and 19 to be the minimum acceptable standard in their class. I still think Glock Perfected is the G21.4 and will fight people over that. On to the guns....

I was able to pick up a PDP Full Size and Compact the week they came out. After dealing with WA's moronic waiting period I picked them up 8 days later. I intentionally didn't shoot them until I was able to mount the RMRs. Today I was finally able to shoot them on my agency's 25 yard indoor range and put some thoughts together. I put about 100 of 115gr 9mm training ammo through both with a combination of slow fire when zeroing the dots, then some faster 2-4 round strings. I shot between 10 and 25 yards. Simply, the guns run like you'd expect any from modern polymer frame handgun. I had no magazine, firearm, or ammo related stoppages shooting SHO, WHO, and freestyle between 10 and 25 yards. I have the RMRs installed using C&H's "Mil-spec" plates, I'm still waiting on my Walther sourced plates to arrive, someday. With these plates and the RMR Type 2 RM06, the factory sights cannot be co-witnessed, I'll be adding some black Ameriglos later on for a lower 1/3rd co-witness, my personal preference.

Ergos:
The ergos of the PDP are very well put together. Beyond the optic cut in the slide, the total gun was certainly made for red dot use, even in the box there is a cut out in the foam that will work with any of the big RDS's including the RMRs, Holosuns and Acros. This is the first handgun I've shot where the dot "appears" with no effort upon presentation. I noticed this with both the full size and the compact and attribute this to the design of the grip, thanks to the geniuses who put that together instead of carving a block of wood. The slide release/stop is easy to access for reloads or manually locking the slide back without having to really think about it. The slide release is 100% ambidextrous and I did not notice any difference releasing the slide with either hand. I've had issues with my high grip on Glocks and P320s where I would inadvertently activate the slide stop during firing and stop the gun. I did not have this issue with either PDP. The triangular design of the slide release is very helpful without being in the way. The magazine release is massive and, again, easy to use without having to make it a conscious effort. With my grip, I did not hit the mag release during firing and drop the mags. In the same area, who ever decided to make the little wide spot of plastic at the grip side of the trigger guard to prevent "Glock knuckle" is brilliant and I will buy that person a beer if I meet them. Finally, the grip is the shizzle. There is nothing on the market right now I like better and I was sad putting my Glock back on for my shift tonight.

Trigger;
I'm not really a trigger snob but 1911s spoiled me. I think Glock triggers are mediocre at best but they are workable. My off-duty G19.5 has a SSVi trigger and I really like it. I have some time behind the P320s since I've owned 3 now and they are an improvement for me over the Glock striker trigger and the flat X-series trigger is still better again. The VP9's I've shot was also better but my experiences with them is limited. I have no real time behind any M&Ps. The PDP trigger is currently the best factory striker trigger I have shot. The take up before the wall is a little longer than I would like, but the resistance is very light to the wall so it can easily be worked through. Reset is tactile and audible, then ready to go again if you ride the reset to shoot. No complaints at this time.

Magazines:
Mags labelled Made In Italy, and are from Mec-Gar. Unlike my Glocks the PDP mags basically launch out of the gun during reloads in the same manner P320 and VP9s rocket out of the gun. I have a training scar from Glock mags where I still do the old Magpul flick to drop the mags. Supposedly Mec-Gar made Canik 18 round mags will work in the full size PDP without modifications and I'll buy a couple to try them out.

Some final thoughts:
Right now my goal is to replace my Glocks with the PDPs. Both are mechanically more accurate than I am on my best day, I'll make the switch once I have more time behind the guns and am comfortable with them. It is apparent the PDP was made by shooters for shooters and the company really listened to their SMEs. The PDP is obviously a continued evolution of what the P99 started, then becoming the PPQ, now the PDP. I'm a fast fan and will likely buy one more of each as a spare. The optic plate cover is plastic, can't complain about that as it is not a stress bearing part and mine will never be re-installed on the gun. If you work for a police agency looking for new guns, look closely at the Walther PDP. Glock still owns the market for various reasons but I'm going to carry my full size once Safariland gets some 6360 RDS holsters in STX Tactical out for them. *Glares at Safariland reps on the board*. Glock should be at least paying attention and Sig should be scared. The Fullsize slide is designed to fit on the Compact. The Compact slide on the full size frame is begging for a comp and still fit in a full size holster.

The photos below are a photographic comparison of my G17.5 duty gun and G19.5 off-duty gun to their direct Walther competition. Thanks for reading though this Monster White Can fueled essay. I'll try to provide additional updates as I shoot the PDPs more.

1.jpg2.jpg3.jpg4.jpg5.jpg6.jpg

WAVandal

My Walther plates came in a few days ago. They are well made, milling and coating seem of good quality, but I expect nothing less from CHPWS. Below are some photos of the Walther branded plates side by side with the CHPWS "mil-spec" plate I bought.

A quick dose of reality for the internet, for 90%+ of users and P&S forum members the factory Walther plate will do just fine. The CHPWS "mil-spec" plate is obviously set up for a more hardcore user to effectively abuse. It has a lip up front to better wedge the RMR into place. I had to physically force my RMRs into place one them.

CHPWS on left, Walther on right
Plates 1.jpeg

This is the mounted Walther plate with a RMR Type 2 mounted to spec.
Plates 2.jpeg

This is the CHPWS "mil-spec" plate with a RMR Type 2 mounted to spec.
Plates 3.jpeg

gch01

My Walther plates came in a few days ago. They are well made, milling and coating seem of good quality, but I expect nothing less from CHPWS. Below are some photos of the Walther branded plates side by side with the CHPWS "mil-spec" plate I bought.

A quick dose of reality for the internet, for 90%+ of users and P&S forum members the factory Walther plate will do just fine. The CHPWS "mil-spec" plate is obviously set up for a more hardcore user to effectively abuse. It has a lip up front to better wedge the RMR into place. I had to physically force my RMRs into place one them.

CHPWS on left, Walther on right
View attachment 7711

This is the mounted Walther plate with a RMR Type 2 mounted to spec.
View attachment 7712

This is the CHPWS "mil-spec" plate with a RMR Type 2 mounted to spec.
View attachment 7713

Agree 100%. I would also note the mil-spec plate comes with t-nuts that offer much more thread engagement than the factory plate.

That Walther factory plate is pretty obviously a MIM part, with those flow lines and molded in markings, which raises the question of whether CHPWS is actually making that specific item. I doubt it.

WAVandal

That Walther factory plate is pretty obviously a MIM part, with those flow lines and molded in markings, which raises the question of whether CHPWS is actually making that specific item. I doubt it.
I have a message out to Walther and C&H about this. I remember C&H bragging about being Walther's OEM supplier. If I hear anything back I'll post the screen shots of the replies. C&H has been pretty combative online recently so we'll see what kind of response we get.

WAVandal

I heard back from C&H this morning and they said "We are not making the ones they provide instead we make or very own patented V4 plates."

I'm still waiting to hear back from Walther. At this point, I'm in agreement with @Archer1440 about the Walther part likely being MIM. When side by side with the Glock MOS plates they do appear to be of better quality, to what extent I don't know as I don't do metallurgy. I will not be changing my posts above for tracking purposes in the thread.

Just to be clear, there have been a few forum posts elsewhere about the Walther factory plates being made by CHPWS, and I think the confusion is from CHPWS offering a Walther branded “mil spec” (V4) plate- thanks for helping clarify the situation.