9mm Revolver

JCSpringer

So I want a 9mm revolver and I don't want to break the bank. And I'd prefer one that does not require moon clips.... Does it exist? I've seen the s&w Ana ne for 1200 but I'd like to stay in the Glock price range.

Chris Taylor

Random Factor of the K Power
Kinda need moon clips to get the empties out of a DA revolver. Otherwise, you'll have to grab a Ruger convertible 357/9mm..

AMK

Korth brought one out at SHOT called the "Sky Marshal" that does not require moon clips, but not in the Glock price range, more like a couple of Glocks price range.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JCSpringer

Dare I even mention Charter Arms but they've got one. The bulldog. :cool: But it would be sinful to purchase as a real firearm? Elitist as it sounds it could still be a fun gun to own and play with on the range.....

Chuck Haggard

Agile/Training and Consulting
Staff member
No, just no.

Charter Arms=Fuck no! They are the DPMS of the revolver world.

If you can get one that works, if, you'll need moon clips. There are no current viable 9mm revolvers that don't require moon clips.

At any rate, ejection of spent rounds can be very iffy. I had a S&W 940 that required a mallet to do a reload. Even S&W couldn't fix it with two trips to the factory. They gave me a new 642 after the second trip didn't work out.

JCSpringer

Bummer. At least I can still dream that one day I can shoot a revolver and my Glock 17 and reload from the same box.

Chuck Haggard

Agile/Training and Consulting
Staff member
The only one worth trying now is the new Ruger LCR, but it also takes moon clips to extract the rounds, unless you want to use a pencil or whatever.

Chris Taylor

Moon clips aren't hard, just a PITA, and are the reason having a wheelgun in a self-shucker cartridge isn't always a great idea. Not a bad one, granted, but it definitely looke better on paper than in practice.

Grayman

Established
Anyone have the convertible ruger Blackhawk? It is available in 357/9mm...

Not exactly tactical unless you're stuck in the 19th century but I'm intrigued

Grayman

Established
I don't need a revolver and I certainly wouldn't consider the BH for carry but I wouldn't mind adding one to my collection... Is the convertible a decent option considering the fairly low price tag? I like the idea of being able to use 9 or 357

Chris Taylor

Let's try this for the third time...

If you're looking for a fun S'n'Gs guns, it's great. If you want a woods/hiking/hunting gun, it's awesome. If you just have a need/want for one, Ruger single actions are the best value going.

That said, our bread and butter work at the shop is tuning, slicking, and modifying these guns. They're built like brick shithouses, but can be a little rough. We make'em mo' bettah.

Accuracy with the 9mm cyl is typically not great for a couple of reasons. Minute-of-coyote at best. Good enough to fill in a dude, or have some fun at the range, but you won't win any bullseye comps with it. The 357/38 usually shoots pretty well.

I'm admittedly pretty biased towards Rugers, but if the price is right, you could do a lot worse than adding one to the safe..

If you have any specific questions, ask away.

Grayman

Established
Chris:

Thanks for the insight and thanks for making me want to drop serious coin on what was supposed to be a range toy... I took one look at your site and all of a sudden the stock one just wasn't gonna do the trick.

I know exactly shit about fuck when it comes to SA revolvers. I know that I want one and I know that you are the guy to send it to.

Chris Taylor

Thanks for the kind words brother. I just sit at the feet of the Master, who runs that circus. :D

If you need any help, or have questions on your journey to the Dark Side, lemme know. ;)