80% Glock Frames

Monty

I dont believe we have covered this topic before. I would like to get everyones thoughts on the 80% frames being offered. Pros vs. Cons? Use in a defense scenario and the possible repercussions that may be different compared to a serialized sidearm?

Sent from my SM-T813 using Tapatalk

Longinvs

Quantified Performance
It's like building an AR but worse. If you want to do it because you're bored then it's fun, but when you can get a new gen 4 G19 for 500 buck or less now there is no way you could do an 80% cheaper and certainly not better. The one I did was an interesting project but I have put way too many hours and way too much money into a "gun" that still functions at maybe 60%.

krax

I have to agree. Big Tex has stripped Glock frames for $79. If the 80% frames were that price or less, then maybe they'd be a decent place to store leftover Glock parts.

I guess if you really liked the texture and undercut of the P80, I guess you could hypothesize that it would cost more than another $80 to have that added to your factory frame.

I see the points being made and they are valid, but there is another thing to consider.

Guys who send their frames away to get worked on by whatever company, for this example ill use agency arms because their frames most closely mimic the P80 frames feature wise. You will spend 79 bucks on a Glock frame or however much you spent on your gun when you bought it and send it to agency, then 8-10 weeks and $400 later you'll have a frame with the same features as a $120-$150 P80 frame. Now if you don't want stippling, accelerator cuts or double undercuts than a factory frame is good for you.

Another thing that comes up is the reliability of the P80 frames. I bought on of the first 50 PF940C (Glock 19) released in California. Using a hand drill, Gerber multitool and a pack of hand files I made a working handgun. To date put approximately 3,800 rds of 9mm through my gun with no mechanical failures or malfunctions. I have had a few operator caused malfunctions but those are not the frames fault. I have built 3 frames to date and for best reliability I have always used Glock OEM parts, lone wolf parts are 50/50 as far as reliability goes.

Legality wise in Dade county FL where I am currently located, to my knowledge there is no legal repercussions for carrying or using a P80 or other 80% frames. FL does just limit you to building 1 per year.

I really enjoy the P80 Glock style frames and everyone who has touched mine has enjoyed it and then bought one.

user12358

Legality wise in Dade county FL where I am currently located, to my knowledge there is no legal repercussions for carrying or using a P80 or other 80% frames. FL does just limit you to building 1 per year.

You have a source on Florida limiting you to building 1 firearm per year?

Yea I've never heard of a limit. I feel like if there isn't a limit on how many serialized firearms you can buy, why would there be a limit on un-serialized firearms you can make. Seems like it would be even more difficult for the "limiting power" to enforce. Florida is still a free state for now, at least until Dade and Broward county finally manage to kill it.

That is second hand information provided to me by a local shop that uses serialized P80's for their custom guns. I've asked LEO friends but no official sources that verify yet.

user12358

That is second hand information provided to me by a local shop that uses serialized P80's for their custom guns.

That is bullshit and sounds like it is fiscally motivated rather than just sheer ignorance. There is absolutely no statute to that effect that I have ever seen and even the selling of unserialized firearms is just a per year amount based on what the ATF considers worth of prosecution to be the threshold number of guns sold to be "in the business."

rudukai13

Pro Internet User
To my knowledge there is no state that puts a per-year limit on the number of homemade firearms an individual can build. Some do require homemade guns to be serialized, and there's been more movement in state legislatures to attempt to outright ban homebuilds, but no quota statutes that I can find.

I would say treat it the same as any gun you build/modify; Once it's finished, test it thoroughly to ensure proper function and reliability. If it functions to an acceptable standard - and you trust it enough to bet your life on it going bang when you need it to - that's your call

I agree, I have looked for a while and asked a couple of LEO buddy's and no one can give me a solid answer on per year purchase numbers. Realistically there probably isn't one and its just rumor.

Also for clarification, the shop I heard this from uses the serialized P80 frames for their custom guns.

To some, paranoid or otherwise, the benefit is legally avoiding paying taxes and handgun registries. I don't think I can fault them, though buying from a private party would seem to be a better idea to me.

To date put approximately 3,800 rds of 9mm through my gun with no mechanical failures or malfunctions.

Just an update to my previous post, hit the 5k round mark on my P80 still no issues to report. Having some ejection issues but I think it have more to do with the slide getting super dirty since I haven't cleaned it since I bought it.

I'm really happy with my PF940C build. I used stock Glock parts, a Brownell's pre-milled slide, RMR06, and a Silencerco barrel. What started as a fun project ended up being my favorite blaster, and eventually what I carry (worth noting that holster fit is different - use one of the index off of the light aiwb holsters). I bought mine before they offered a pre-serialized version, and I'll probably go that route with my next one just to save time.

It's worth noting that a couple of OEMs are building guns on these frames - the Faxon FX-19 for one.

I'd be curious to hear opinions on the "1911" grip angle that P80 advertises - I don't have enough experience to notice/dryfire a ton with this one so it feels natural. I've heard several people say that they prefer 1911/2011s and that going back and forth between 1911s/Glocks results in a different presentation - this could be a cheap swap out to help that issue.

You will spend 79 bucks on a Glock frame or however much you spent on your gun when you bought it and send it to agency, then 8-10 weeks and $400 later you'll have a frame with the same features as a $120-$150 P80 frame.

I spend a lot of time with 1911's and I love them, and the fact that the P80 has the same grip angle is good for me because it is familiar. Also as I mentioned in a previous post (above) they are a more economical and feature rich frame compared to a standard Glock frame.

Gun update: I bent the extractor plunger and shattered (into sixes pieces) the extractor spring at or about 6k rounds. Never seen a Glock fail like that but I attribute it to the fact that this gun shoots 124 NATO or 147+p 90% of the time.

After replacing the broken parts, the gun is back to full reliability and currently somewhere between 77-7.5K