6.8 Rifle Questions

Shadow2

Amateur
Looking into building a 6.8. Have a spare noveske lower, aim point with larue mount and a spare Vortex PST 2.5-10. So idea would be a versatile hog and deer slayer. Also have a spare Saker 762 that will be used as a direct thread. Got a spare Larue upper so just need to finish it.

Barrel- Bison Armory 16" BSP barrel. 1/7 twist carbine gas. They've got some 200grain bullets that can be loaded for subsonic ammo. Not looking to kill anything with subs. Just fun to experiment with on the reloading. All killing will be done with supers.

Gas Block- DSG gas block and gas tube

Hand guard- BCM KMR Alpha

BCG- Young manufacturing bolt paired with a Gemtech GSBC to deal with any overpassing issues.

So I'd use the Aimpoint for the general pig slaying and swap to the PST for deer. With the aim point in a Larue mount and the PST in an ADM mount both should be repeatable. I figure with the magnified optic I would zero at 100 yards. Whats a good range to zero the red dot?

Ammo- Will probably start out with Stand 1 Armory for general plinking. Any other good places to go for ammo?

Is there anything I'm missing?

I did a 6.8SPC II last year. Had a spare Noveske barrel laying around, and that thing grew into a whole new gun. I sighted mine in to be nuts on at 50. That gave me a decent MPBR out to there I felt comfortable with the cartridge. I gotta say, I was never very impressed with the accuracy on mine. I have several AR's that'll consistently shoot 5 rounds sub moa. My BCM SPR, my Noveske, and an Archer with a Shillen barrel are all sub minute rifles. My Noveske barreled 6.8 was a 2moa gun at best. I tried about 6 or 7 different loads out of it. From the awesome Hornady stuff to SSA, to Double Tap, even some Nosler. The best I could get was 1" at 50 and 2" at 100. I kept telling myself that this was a hunting rifle, and 2moa will damn sure put anything down out to the limits of the rounds capabilities. For me, I wouldn't shoot a deer past 300 with the 6.8. It's bleeding energy way too fast for me to consider an ethical kill past that. For ME, and this is just my opinion, the juice wasn't worth the squeeze. Here's why: the round is more expensive to shoot than either my 7.62 gasser, or one of my 5.56's. The ballistics, while better than 5.56, are nowhere near a 7.62. My Daniel Defense 7.62 is a handy 16" rifle, weighs 8 lbs w/o glass and vastly out powers the 6.8. One of my AR-15's with the 75 gr Gold Dots (my duty ammo at work) is almost as good up close, and with that ammo, is very consistent at 1moa. That's with an awesome, bonded bullet.

Anyway, the round just never caught on for me. For you, it may be the cat's ass. These are just my thoughts. If I had it to do over, I might have gone 6.5 Grendel. That round has better ballistics, and is said to be more accurate. But, again, I didn't have a 6.5 Grendel barrel, I had a 6.8.

I sold the rifle to my buddy, who like me, wanted to try it. He collects more than he shoots, so he'll probably love it.