.38 special

Steven Cali

Quantified Performance
In light of my recent aquisition of my S&W model 15-2, I reviewed the data I have on .38 special ammo, hoping to find a suitable load for it, and I realized that all the information I have for .38 special from 4"+ barrels is older than I am, (which doesn't necessarily make it wrong, but when the two best performers in the data are the 125grain hydra-shok and the FBI load, it is worth revisiting) Google doesn't seem to turn up much actual data on more recent developments in the realm of .38 special. Obviously this is due in large part to the rise of autoloaders, but presumably .38 has benefited from the advancements in bullet design in the same way as 9mm has. Does anyone have any more recent data on the subject? And what loads would y'all carry in a full size .38 with a decent barrel length.

R. Moran

Staff member
No data, but
IIRC the 135 Gold Dot was the load NYPD approved for all 38s..including the 4" guns.

It's what I keep around for a " carry" load...if that were to ever happen.

Steven Cali

Quantified Performance
No data, but
IIRC the 135 Gold Dot was the load NYPD approved for all 38s..including the 4" guns.

It's what I keep around for a " carry" load...if that were to ever happen.
Yeah, not really planning on carrying it often, but I like to keep at least a few boxes of good defensive ammo on hand for every gun I own, preferably something optimized for it. Obviously I could just stick some wadcutters in it like I do with my snubs, but with the longer barrel I might as well take advantage of the potential performance increase.