.308/7.62 and 5.56 Duty Mag Questions

Bourneshooter

Blue Line Sheepdog
.308/7.62 and 5.56 Duty Mag Questions

I have the potential need for the ability to swap my patrol rifle magazines between PMAG LR (7.62/.308) and 5.56 PMAGS. This has lead to some gear questions. The .308 gun will be the primary use Patrol Rifle so I will be mainly carrying the .308 mags on duty, with the 5.56 mags/gun in reserve.

Currently:

1st Line: single M4 mag on my duty belt or in the X-26 Tazer pouch on my jumpsuit.

2nd Line: Plate Carrier is a Velocity Scarab and I use a 3x M4 Ten Speed on the front with 2 M4 PMAGs on it.

Thinking/Question for change in kit:

1st line: New jumpsuit will have a X2 tazer pocket which will hold a 20 round 308 PMAG, and in a pinch, a 5.56 PMAG. I’m not finding a duty belt mag pouch that will hold either a .308 mag or a 5.56 mag securely.

2nd Line: Use a Kangaroo pouch insert on the Scarab. This will keep the ten speed available for when/if I’m using the M4 instead, in addition to the utility of 10 speeds on hand (TQ, Phone, Pistol Mag, etc). Kangaroo pouch wise, there is a purpose built one from Velocity and one from Spiritus system. The Velocity has the added security of bungees and the Spiritus doesn’t appear to. Any experience with either? Will the Spiritus even work with the Scarab?

https://www.velsyst.com/double-762-magazine-insert.html

http://store.atarmor.com/product_p/spts-ri.htm

ggammell

Does not pass up an opportunity to criticize P&S.
Does the TACO not fit the bill for you? I guess that's the obvious question. Or the G-Code equivalents?

Bourneshooter

Blue Line Sheepdog
Does the TACO not fit the bill for you? I guess that's the obvious question. Or the G-Code equivalents?
Haven't looked at those at all due to not carrying for how bulky the 5.56 model was years back.

I did look at the Fast Mag, but the H model doesn't look like a 5.56 mag will fit well in it.

Longeye

Established
Tacos or Double M4 mag pouches are about your only options. And I dislike Tacos- but they do kinda work for a crossover pouch.

Come to think of it, the BFG SR25 pouch sort of works as a crossover pouch, but 556 retention is not as good as 762.

The Fast Mag is mag specific. It will not work with both 556 and 762 mags in the same pouch.

Why the need to carry such an oversized patrol rifle?

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Bourneshooter

Blue Line Sheepdog
Tacos or Double M4 mag pouches are about your only options. And I dislike Tacos- but they do kinda work for a crossover pouch.

Come to think of it, the BFG SR25 pouch sort of works as a crossover pouch, but 556 retention is not as good as 762.

The Fast Mag is mag specific. It will not work with both 556 and 762 mags in the same pouch.

Why the need to carry such an oversized patrol rifle?

I thought the same thing about using the 10 speed but it won't be secure enough for chasing people.

The .308 rifle is part of a Patrol DMR role.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Longeye

Established
Flapped double M4 mag pouches are about your only good option then. BFG makes a great Helium Whisper version that is my first choice.

Bourneshooter

Blue Line Sheepdog
So I ended up doing the following:

Duty Belt: Grey Ghost Gear Accomodator Mag Pouch - holds SR25 PMAG 25. For 5.56 quals or if I were to not carry the .308 that day, it can be tightened down to hold 5.56.

PC: Custom M-VOCR 3 from Extreme Gear Labs. Swappable inserts that allow 3 m4 or 2 308. Also due to wearing this over a external vest on occasion, it has a pistol mag, 2x TQ pouches and a 2x iPhone pouch.

Full review here:
https://bluelinesheepdog.blogspot.com/2017/10/egl-custom-m-vocr-3-modular-for-308-and.html

Attachments

• fullsizeoutput_10a2.jpeg
    fullsizeoutput_10a2.jpeg
    2.6 MB · Views: 13