I live in Oklahoma and our hunting regs are that you need at least a 55gr bullet. The 223 cal hunting loads in my own experience are not adequate for medium/large game. 300 blackout was intriguing to me because of its compatibility with my existing platforms. So I built a 300 blackout rifle.....
Here is my own conclusion based upon this endeavor.
1. 30 caliber has a long history of good terminal effect.
2. I don’t like wearing ear pro when stalking in order to gain situational awareness. So I shoot supressed. Supressed 223/556 still isn’t that “quiet.”
3. It’s a good terminal round out to about 200-250 yards. (150 gr Winchester and the Lehigh loads are good as well.)
4. It doubles at a HD rifle because of reason 2, if shot inside my family won’t be totally deaf granted it will still be loud.
5. Subs are only good for the gram and impressing dudes on the range.
I think Valparaiso SWAT is considering adoption???
This extrapolated into how it would preform on a human target. I would assume it will perform well in that aspect. Is it the rifle/caliber I would want if I was clearing houses and shooting across valleys, no. However in certain rolls it fits the bill, even if it isn’t the “best all around” round available.
Not trying to sound fudd-ish just offering another perspective.