.300 Blackout

Every .30 cal bullet ever designed has been designed to work best at high velocity, why? because it's a rifle caliber, rifles have fast bullets.

.300BLK just tried to follow-along and borrow the same caliber. Realistically, the whole predicate of .300BLK is that it shoots heavy bullets subsonically, and fits in an AR-15. If someone had invested the effort in making a .357-Max fit in the AR-15, you would still be using pistol bullets, out of an AR.

There are bullets out there that are designed specific for the BLK, in all honesty, I can't think of a single reason I would want to defend my house with an NFA weapon, that puts me at far too great a risk of 1) Losing my gun/suppressor 2) explaining to the court why X or Y wouldn't do.

My suggestion, if you're going to use a rifle to defend your house, shoot the fastest bullets you can, if you have to shoot to kill, make sure you come out on top.
"I didn't want to wake the baby..."

;)

Regarding terminal ballistics, be sure to not compare apples to oranges. Performance is going to be determined as much by the individual bullet design and velocity out of your individual barrel as it is by caliber. Blackout does have some reported overpenetration issues, with the only DocGKR approved round of blackout that I'm aware of being the 110gr TSX, available in the Barnes Vor-TX line as loaded ammo.

Bottom line is basically that the right Blackout round will do work, and the right 5.56 round will do work, as long as you do what's needed. The make or break for me between 5.56 and Blackout is barrel length. If i'm going shorter than 10.5 (and 10.5 is ragged edge for 5.56), I'll probably go with Blackout. That's assuming that I find a mission need to have a barrel under 10.5." Due to the better ammunition availability, cost, and performance of modern 5.56, I've found little practical use for Blackout in my life, after having two Blackout uppers that I bought and sold. Your needs may vary.
Agreed. I had a 9” BCM 300BLK Upper and as much as I liked using it the round didn’t offer enough increased performance IMO to offset the cost compared to 5.56. I sold the upper and used it to get a 10.5” 5.56 Upper. Now I’m looking for an 11.5” 5.56 Upper to replace the 10.5”. Unless you need maximum shortness I’d stick with 5.56.

ammomfg

Network Support I
Admittedly, I wouldn’t mind getting my hands on a Sig LVAW though
I will admit, most of my experience with most of Sig's new designs are hugely anecdotal, but they're also nearly universally bad. (this covers the Sig AR-15, the Sig AR-10, and the MCX platforms)

I've also grown really tired of "AR-alike" rifles, that take enough design concepts from the AR, and then radically change how the gun works in ways that just kinda end up falling flat.

I will admit, most of my experience with most of Sig's new designs are hugely anecdotal, but they're also nearly universally bad. (this covers the Sig AR-15, the Sig AR-10, and the MCX platforms)

I've also grown really tired of "AR-alike" rifles, that take enough design concepts from the AR, and then radically change how the gun works in ways that just kinda end up falling flat.
The LVAW is the original MCX (if you want to think of it that way) and was the system selected to replace the MP5SD for them JSOC hitters. Fun fact: the LVAW is not backwards compatible with standard MCX parts either (as least that's what the cloner's claim).

I also agree that there are a ton of AR-alike rifles but I'd go further and say they're just everyone's take on the SCAR family.

FN: SCAR
Rem/Bushmaster: ACR
Sig: MCX
Skeli: X11
Beretta: ARX100
CZ: Bren 805
Robinson: XCR
HK: 433

I'm sure I'm forgetting a few...

I'd say the AR-alike rifles are your piston guns (Sig Piston M4s, PWS, LWRCI, HK family) and the ones I listed above are your "SCAR-alike" ones.

Every .30 cal bullet ever designed has been designed to work best at high velocity, why? because it's a rifle caliber, rifles have fast bullets.

.300BLK just tried to follow-along and borrow the same caliber. Realistically, the whole predicate of .300BLK is that it shoots heavy bullets subsonically, and fits in an AR-15. If someone had invested the effort in making a .357-Max fit in the AR-15, you would still be using pistol bullets, out of an AR.

There are bullets out there that are designed specific for the BLK, in all honesty, I can't think of a single reason I would want to defend my house with an NFA weapon, that puts me at far too great a risk of 1) Losing my gun/suppressor 2) explaining to the court why X or Y wouldn't do.

My suggestion, if you're going to use a rifle to defend your house, shoot the fastest bullets you can, if you have to shoot to kill, make sure you come out on top.
A few things:

1) Hornady introduced a subsonic expanding bullet in .300BLK. It uses a flex-tip like the Leverevolution and Critical Duty/Defense rounds to expand below the speed of sound. I've only seen their promotional materials on it, have not seen anyone test it yet. I hope it works, because SBR-velocity defensive rounds seem like a thing that people should have been making by now. Like you said in your first sentence, bullets are designed to go fast. SBRs/large frame (AR) pistols trade bullet velocity for maneuverability, but we haven't seen much if any updated bullet tech to offset this.

2) I have little reservation to using NFA weapons inside my own home. Between "This gun is purpose-built to be used effectively inside a structure", "unsuppressed rifles cause significant, permanent hearing loss inside a house, I don't want my kids growing up slightly disabled because someone decided to break into my home" and "This is where I keep my NFA items and this one happened to be the closest when the alarm went off", I don't see the weapon choice being used effectively against me in a court. Also, Second Call Defense will get my firearms back or replace them entirely in the event of police confiscation, and that's before I step foot in a court room.

3) I'm just a dude on the Internet with no verifiable real-life experience, I can't actually imagine what a professional prosecutor could do to me. No one should take my opinions as legal advise.

ammomfg

Network Support I
The LVAW is the original MCX (if you want to think of it that way) and was the system selected to replace the MP5SD for them JSOC hitters. Fun fact: the LVAW is not backwards compatible with standard MCX parts either (as least that's what the cloner's claim).

I also agree that there are a ton of AR-alike rifles but I'd go further and say they're just everyone's take on the SCAR family.

FN: SCAR
Rem/Bushmaster: ACR
Sig: MCX
Skeli: X11
Beretta: ARX100
CZ: Bren 805
Robinson: XCR
HK: 433

I'm sure I'm forgetting a few...

I'd say the AR-alike rifles are your piston guns (Sig Piston M4s, PWS, LWRCI, HK family) and the ones I listed above are your "SCAR-alike" ones.
Totally agree, the SCAR/ACR/805/806/MSBS/433/ACR are "Scar-alike" main thing with these guns, they're all extruded aluminum with parts screwed or otherwise fitted to an upper. the MCX is using forged aluminum parts, and uses a similar takedown system. Same with XCR. The ARX... I probably wouldn't put that in this list at all. These guns required significant changes and really re-thought the design and manufacturing process. This is why I would delineate the difference.

A few things:

1) Hornady introduced a subsonic expanding bullet in .300BLK. It uses a flex-tip like the Leverevolution and Critical Duty/Defense rounds to expand below the speed of sound. I've only seen their promotional materials on it, have not seen anyone test it yet. I hope it works, because SBR-velocity defensive rounds seem like a thing that people should have been making by now. Like you said in your first sentence, bullets are designed to go fast. SBRs/large frame (AR) pistols trade bullet velocity for maneuverability, but we haven't seen much if any updated bullet tech to offset this.

2) I have little reservation to using NFA weapons inside my own home. Between "This gun is purpose-built to be used effectively inside a structure", "unsuppressed rifles cause significant, permanent hearing loss inside a house, I don't want my kids growing up slightly disabled because someone decided to break into my home" and "This is where I keep my NFA items and this one happened to be the closest when the alarm went off", I don't see the weapon choice being used effectively against me in a court. Also, Second Call Defense will get my firearms back or replace them entirely in the event of police confiscation, and that's before I step foot in a court room.

3) I'm just a dude on the Internet with no verifiable real-life experience, I can't actually imagine what a professional prosecutor could do to me. No one should take my opinions as legal advise.
What state are you in? A dude in a castle doctrine state with pre-paid legal representation is a different deal then someone in a blue state