3 magazine front VRs 4 Magazine front panels.

HighTower

Evening yall!

Curiosity has been inspired and now im looking at a VS 3 mag or 4 mag front panel.

The vest it would go on would be a 3X6 panel typical of a s/medium.

Could one use the gap hang that would occur with the 3x8 to make a hyper cheapo PICO assulters setnup with the articulated magazines?

Or is this a horrible idea/set up and im just being oblivious?

Oak City Tactics

Staff member
You may need to clarify what you are asking. I’m following I think but it’s not clear. I for one wish VS would make the quart placard a triple placard but keep all the pockets. I’ve tried the 7.62 version and while I loved the size my OCD would have nothing to do with the loose magazines.

krax

I'm similarly confused.

Which carrier are you trying to set up? What is is about the PICO that's got you excited?

Tyr's carriers are great, but not hugely different from the others currently on the market. These days you can piece components together from different manufacturers to make something just right for you, but I don't know what you intend to do with yours.

HighTower

Good morning all,

Guess I posted that near midnight, which would explain its lack of academics. Il post again this morning with screen shots and refs.

PM07

Staff member
Also, helps to state the intended use of your proposed set up.

HighTower

First, the two panels.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20190910-073351_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20190910-073351_Chrome.jpg
    421 KB · Views: 18
  • Screenshot_20190910-070535_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20190910-070535_Chrome.jpg
    425.2 KB · Views: 17

HighTower

Vests for reference.

Would the overlap causes by the 4 panal be of use like a mirror'd image of the Tyr Pico.

Intent: slim and ergonomic front area.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20190910-073929_Discord.jpg
    Screenshot_20190910-073929_Discord.jpg
    654.5 KB · Views: 12
  • Screenshot_20190910-074213_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20190910-074213_Chrome.jpg
    497 KB · Views: 12

HighTower

You may need to clarify what you are asking. I’m following I think but it’s not clear. I for one wish VS would make the quart placard a triple placard but keep all the pockets. I’ve tried the 7.62 version and while I loved the size my OCD would have nothing to do with the loose magazines.
I would hope kydex and some form of PC silencer (AWS or 5.11) would provide the rigidity.

HighTower

Not exactly, just if the gap provided by the overlap would be useful space and if radio pouch or a single magazine pouch would fit in the gap...

Modern VS 3 x 6 have extra space (half inch all around if i recall) to make the 3 or 4 magazine panel issue a non concern.

Im debating on just going for the MVT SOR chest rig when the PC this will be attempted'd on comes out (looking at the LBT 6094 G3 ATM) which will restore alot of functional space disregarded by the soft elastic 2 pouch c-bund option.

krax

I don't think so.

What's the intended use?

Also, why wait for vaporware when there's so many good plate carriers available right now?

Without knowing what you want to do with it, I'd still guess that a Velocity LWPC (preferably the OPT version) and a Mayflower Gen IV UW chest rig would cover just about everything.

HighTower

Id normally test this stuff over a field op or a range but since leaving the A.D. i try to outsource my ideas to the greater collective intellect here on P&S as I no longer have a bricks filled with other gear guys to bounce ideas off of.

The use: comfortable, stable and useful magazine storage with utilization of space provided by the overhang gap... just gear optimization tests.

Now adays im just doing mental exercises with gear at altitude, trying not loose the mindset of being prepared.

As far as vaporware, id have gotten the WAS LPV V2 already but WAS's production location is sketch ATM.

krax

When we ask "What's the intended use?", what we're asking is what you intend to do with the equipment (i.e. as a police active shooter rig, for SWAT call-outs, a military trip to Afghanistan, civilian preparedness, LARP, etc.). This helps the community here understand how to best help you.

Help us help you.

HighTower

Okay, sorry, did not mean to be obtuse.

High altitude (8500 feet) EOTW. Moderate to high mobility on foot. Natural disaster and "neighboors" loose their civility.

No Breaching, no LEO. Avoidance of conflict (all I would have is self aid) limited patroling and static defense.

krax

Civilian preparedness then. Driveway gun. Word.

Layers are good from both a weight (given the altitude) and image (given the fluid nature of disasters).

If you're trying to keep weight down, and you likely should, an assaulter-ish plate carrier with all the mags is likely not the answer.

If you're trying to keep your profile low, and likely should, an assaulter-ish plate carrier with all the mags is likely not the answer.

Without knowing you or your general plan, I'd still push you towards a sort of collection of gear that can work as stand-alone pieces or in concert.

First, a solid CCW setup since you can/should be wringing that out right now. There's good info all over P&S for that.

Second, a load-bearing belt (battle belt, bat bat, war belt, etc.). There's at least one thread here all about them. This is something that can comfortably carry some ammo, an IFAK, and even a small radio if that's your thing. I'm a fan because they can be somewhat concealed under big shirts/jackets or worn over cold weather clothes. If you're seated in a vehicle, then you can look pretty normal from the window up, which is especially handy if you've just realized that it's not driveway gun day...yet. Bonus if your CCW belt can also be your inner belt.

Third, a slick, no frills plate carrier with the thinnest/lightest plates you can afford. Bonus if you can hang a chest rig off of it. The slicker it is, the easier it is to wear it under a shirt or jacket.

Fourth, a versatile chest rig. Functional as both a load-bearing platform you wear and as a way to store extra ammo in a vehicle or home. You could throw it on by itself to have some ammo and whatever else you plan to keep in it (water, medical, etc.) or use it to supplement the war belt. You can wear it over the plate carrier (you really don't have to attach it) if you need the protection, or without to keep weight down. Since weight is a concern, Mayflower/Velocity make excellent options, including the one I mentioned above.

Or, search Ebay for a Paraclete RAV and load that bad johnny up with every mag you got.

HighTower

In reverse order:

"Or, search Ebay for a Paraclete RAV and load that bad johnny up with every mag you got."
well with panels and plates and mags I am pretty confident that gets heavy, as I have a MBAV like that from my "heavy" days, so im just gunna giggle here...

Chest Rig: I was looking at the MVT SOR in MC till just now...Either Max himself or his Admin just emailed me that said rigs are not being reprod'd, the VS rigs are also on the balance, but not sure if i want to go with a purpose built rig or a flat rig and add to it... Spiritus systems are also on the docket for that idea...

Slick Body Armor: I was looking at the WAS LPC V2, but i now have reservations about their business practices in regards to production. once more details come out about the previously discussed Vaporware LBT 6094 G3 it will get a look at, the Crye Airlight is on the docket as well.

Vest inventory: for reference.

RBAV + Kevlar Panels and Ceradyne IV ICW plates. (out of a FSBE kit)
EI Rhodesian + Ceradyne III CCW plate with plate backer. (out of a FSBE kit)
HSGI WeeSatch (Needs plates and bungee tabs) (bought it cuss I wanted a MC all bases* (not low vis included) platform.
EI MBAV (Currently needs front back panels and plates and repair on the upper left loop) (the MBAV cut on soft armor always appealed to me)

Belt:
Somewhere I have an EI belt and a belt out of a Coyote FLC, but with my torso ratio (photo to be included later) I think i need to get Ronin Gunbelt sleeves and put them over the Rigger's belt I wear. Iv debated on getting 20 round magazines due previous experience with the USMC G2 PC and a belt and some times having issues reaching belt kit.

Radio: looking at getting a Baofeng when i have the time to get back into HAMing.

CCW Pistol: Looking at figuring out what Glock works for me, I want to do something more exotic, but the likelihood I would find replacement parts for a HK VP9SK in the long run is slim as all get out.

Rifle: Currently have a Colt LE that I need to get a light and panel on. on the market for a LPVO, and then throwing a RDS on a off rail.
future: the "ADAMS ARMS SMALL FRAME .308 PATROL BATTLE RIFLE - 16" is going to be for more distant, before i get into my 270 and 3006 both on rem 700 platforms.

Currently sourcing Patagonia layers.

Will provide a photo of a Small Sapi on me for size reference to understand my belt issue.

Hope this light reading was mildly entertaining and possibly flash backs to the last decade's gear.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20190911-164802_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20190911-164802_Gallery.jpg
    841.7 KB · Views: 15
  • Screenshot_20190911-170522_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20190911-170522_Gallery.jpg
    680.1 KB · Views: 14
  • no SOR.PNG
    no SOR.PNG
    37.3 KB · Views: 11

HighTower

Hi all, Wanted to say thanks for any one who worked with me on this, That time frame I was sleep deprived as one could get.

I moved on from chest rigs entirely, I picked up a VS Scarab with a Quad GP 5.56, Then sold off the Scarab when I got a FCPC V5. (nothing against the Scarab, just went lighter weight and more venting)

Il rock the Quad GP 5.56 for the foreseeable future on the FCPC V5, there is a smidge of Velcro over hang (4 mag front placard on a 3 mag wide PC) but as I am not jumping out of an aircraft, the only time I can imagine that over hang being an issue is avoided.

Once I replace everything (Plates with LTC Less than Overts or Hesco M210s, new helmet, new belt, new pistol,) I might pick up an FC Placard of some sort.