3-9x40mm Matchup

Vaall

I'm having a dilemma trying to decide between a Leupold VX•R Patrol 3-9x40mm FireDot TMR and the Trijicon AccuPower® 3-9x40 Riflescope.

The platform for their implementation is an AR-10 that I built using Aero Precision parts with a free-floated 16" barrel and muzzle brake. It's for my father and he is wanting to ring steel at 500 yards, maaaybe more if he desires. I do know both are good but is there one that is subjectively better than the other?

Thanks.

Hey I know you were asking about 3x9, but here is an InRange TV video for some 1x4 & 1x6 comparisons. They are looking at the Trijicon and the Leupold along with a Vortex.

Pat Tarrant

Custom testicles
Staff member
Leupold, Trijicon, Vortex (especially Vortex) offer scopes of various quality and features. Please specify the models you are referring to when comparing. Saying that one brand is better than another doesn't help when comparing different models in their lineups.

Mike_IA

I have looked through or used RMR, ACOG, and their variable powered conventional scope- compared to Leupold VXR Patrol 1.25-4x, Mk 6 3-18x, CQBSS, VX3, Mk 4, and VX-1 (which I would put equal or below trijicon).
Trijicon Glass doesn’t really stack up, in terms of clairity and light transmission. I also noticed that trijicon tends to have distortion near the edges.

RustyM92

Amateur
I've handled both. I'd give the Leupold the advantage because I personally like the simpler reticle, and they come with a better warranty. For what it's worth, I believe the AccuPowers are made in Japan while the Leupolds are made in America, if that makes a difference to you.