277 Wolverine

AresGear_Jake

Stiffer Is Better
Vendor
So...it's like 300Blackout, but with a 6.8 bullet instead of a 7.62? I guess I'm not seeing the attraction; innovation is a good thing, and I'm glad to see a new cartridge produced, but I'm having trouble seeing what it does better than 300BO, 5.56, 7.62x39, etc., all of which are available in an AR platform.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Chad H/BC520

Staff member
Closer to a 6.8 SPC without having to get new magazines, etc... I believe looking at the ballistics it gives a bit more range than the Blackout and better external ballistics.

AresGear_Jake

Stiffer Is Better
Vendor
I hadn't seen the ballistics, just the creator's thread on ARFcom where he said it definitely didn't compare to the 6.8 at distance.

If you're going to change calibers, what's the big deal with changing mags? Sharing mags between calibers generally isn't a good (safe) idea anyway, right?

Chad H/BC520

Staff member
It is less than the 6.8, but if it gives me a little better terminal performance on larger deer, I'm definitely interested. The magazines is another wear item I'd have to support. The less I have to purchase for support items means I can invest those funds towards what I need to shoot instead. I'm not worried about sharing, as I'd be able to dedicate some mags for it. But say the caliber doesn't take off? Then I still have mags, upper parts, lower parts, all of it is the same. Just put on a 5.56 barrel. I can't do that with 6.8.

AresGear_Jake

Stiffer Is Better
Vendor
Ok. You sound like exactly the kind of guy it's ideal for, then.

I guess I'm stuck on the cost/value thing. I doubt mags will ever wear out if this is a hunting gun. That means it's an $80 price difference to run 6.8 (assuming 4 mags at $20 each, and all other parts are comparable in price to each other). How much performance does that $80 buy you? How much convenience (factory ammo, for example)?

If you're talking about converting an AR you already have, then the cost of 6.8 is higher by the cost of a bolt as well ($100?). You'll need a new barrel either way.

Chris Taylor

Random Factor of the K Power
When I get to somewhere I can do a long post, I'll write something up.

In the short term... meh to no.

Chris Taylor

Random Factor of the K Power
Ok, longer post...

I'm sure, absolutely positive, that the 277Wolverine is a great round. It duplicates the specs of a 7mm TC/U, which has been around since Christ was a Corporal, and has a lengthy track record for both metallic silhouette and short range hunting of medium sized game. New bullets designed for the 6.8 will makes it even better. So, other than the missing. 007" of an inch, no biggie. For what you are looking for (short range critter gitter), it'll do well. I am not downplaying the cartridge itself.

It's just that it's nothing new. It's a vanity offering.

[rant]Admittedly, most 'new' cartridges since about 1963 are too.[/rant]

My concerns come from a few directions. First, any time you get into a proprietary cartridge, you are beholden to the developer. The developer will work with companies to design the reamers and loading dies, and the reamer and die manufacturers may not be willing to sell one OTC if you need another bbl, or something happens to your dies. Not really any big deal for a hunting gun, but it is a consideration. And what happens if the developer goes out of business?

This isn't meant to downplay wildcat cartridges. I loves me some wildcats, but proprietary cartridges give you the worst of all worlds.

Second, good luck trying to sell it if/when you get tired of it. Unless you find the one dude that's looking for it, you're SOL. Yes, you can re-barrel etc., but that's just more coin outta pocket.

Third, and the most compelling reason... safety. Mag and bolt interchangability sounds great on paper, but that's how shit blows up. If ammo or mags get mixed up, and it happens, you end up trying to shove a .277" bullet down a .224" bore at at pressures in the neighborhood of 58kPSI. That expensive proprietary gun will go high order in short order. No frakkin bueno.

The cost of a few new mags and a new bolt are chump change to an emergency room visit. And possibly a life altering, crippling, injury.

Your call.

Personally, I'd drop the cheddar on a 6.8, and not look back if you are wedded to the idea of using a MHR. Better(ish) performance in the game fields. Commercially loaded ammo. Established SAAMI specs. Industry support structure in place. Either way it's a 200ish yd gun.

Honestly, unless there were caliber restrictions in your locale, I, personally, would have zero issues shooting a small to medium size whitetail with a 223 70gr TSX inside 200yds. Granted, I'm not everybody. Would it be my first choice? Frak no. But if it's what I had, don't get between me and my deer blind.

On a serious note, for the cost of a new upper/bbl/mags/bolt, I'd go buy a used Rem700 in 270/30-06/308/7mm-08/etc., and kill the shit outta some critters.

Longeye

Established
Good stuff, Chris.

This is exactly why I am working up the M70 I mentioned in the Scout Rifle thread. It will fill a need without making the compromises that an AR-10 would to do the exact same job.
Much as I like and respect the AR platform, there are still some things other weapons do better.