.22 Trainer Optics

N

nate89

I have realized that at my skill level, a quality .22 rifle with some good glass will be much more helpful for helping me improve precision rifle shooting, and have a question about what optics others are using on .22 trainers. I currently have a 2.5-10 FFP that pulls double duty on a .308 and .223, but at the distances I will be using the .22, it seems like that is a bit much magnification-wise. What magnification range should I be looking for this application? Any specific models to consider? I wondered if some sort of 1-X LPV could be useful due to the shorter distances I will be shooting with the .22. Also, usually only the higher magnification optics have MIL reticles, so should I look at a more 'standard' reticle and just do what I can with it?

Reactions: Hal

R. Moran

Staff member
What distances do you plan on shooting?
A lot of guys that shoot 22LR as a trainer to a centerfire, are doing so at 100-200mtrs or more.
So, you will need to look for a scope with a lot of elevation available to get that 40grn bullet out there.
I use a Zeiss 4.5-14X MC conquest on my Lilja barreled Rem 504....unfortunately, the range I belong to only goes out to 100 yards...pretty much where I shoot all my 22 rifles now.
I have been thinking on upgrading to something that tops out at 20 or 24x though.

N

nate89

That is what I am planning on doing--using the .22 as a centerfire trainer. I will be planning on going out to about 200 or so. I'm still new to long range, so I guess I'll take it out as far as my abilities let me.

R. Moran

Staff member
I don't shoot any kind of sniper competition or what not..rimfire or centerfire. I do know this, guys that shoot rimfire silhouette from 40 to 100 yards are doing it with 25X + scopes....rimfire silhouette is scaled down to specifically mirror the longer centerfire ranges....so scope power needs would be similar I think.
IE: the targets you would be shooting with a 22 as a trainer, would be smaller then their center fire equivalents.
I would think to get a scope that closely matches my centerfire rifle.

Now, if you just want to shoot a .22LR as a pure marksmanship trainer...that's a little different.

N

nate89

I have a Ruger 10/.22, but I am actually looking at getting a bolt gun for accuracy reasons. I am looking pretty seriously at the Savege MK II FV-SR for this project.

R. Moran

Staff member
Is that the one in the Boyds stock?
To be clear, I can only pass on what I came up with in my research on sites like Snipershide, Lightfighter & Rimfire Central. A good friend of mine is fairly serious in rimfire silhouette, so...

The Savage has a good rep, and a 10/22 can be built into a accurate gun. Take a look at the CZ 455, I recently sold mine, not because it was abad gun though.
They are nicely made, Lilja makes a drop in barrel for it, and manners inlets for them, they just came out with a two stage trigger for them, & Timney makes one also. You can build an awesome rifle with them.
Of course Anschutz are, well Anschutz...

All depends on your budget. If that Savage is the one in the plastic stock, you'll probably want to look at adding the Boyds Tacticool...now known as the pro varmint I think.

Same with optics...a lot of guys run the same high end optics they run on their primary centerfire guns.

You will need to look for a parallax adjustment, down to at least 50, I think 25 is better. Some go down to 10, but thats more for target shooting and air riles.

I like my Zeiss, with the Xmas tree type reticle, you can find them on Ebay sometimes in the $5-600 range. My 10/22 LVT will probably get a Leupold MK AR 4-12X. The VX2 6-18X is a popular choice for entry level competition.. The new MK AR's are mil/mil

The BSA/Midway exclusive 4-14X Front Focal plane get decent reviews for a budget optic, along with it's Primary Arms cousin.

Vortex, Diamondback 4-12 is also one i've been looking at...teh Diamond back HP 3-12 was heavier, and the view looked a little cramped to me.

Of course the Vortex Viper & Viper PST's could work well also.

Etc etc

Reactions: Hal

R. Moran

Staff member
IMG_20150303_155700_665.jpg

This is my Remington 504 with the factory target stock, beeded and painted by Stockade gun works, lilja barrel and the Zeiss