2020 Staccato updates

I am liking it a lot. I had to file some of the plastic grip to get it to fit. I was able to find the right balance between tightness and free-run for the trigger. I have small hands, so this is the shortest one they offer in curved.

I have a x-line flat in extra short that I enjoy as well - not sure if one is better than the other. Strangely, that one dropped right in perfectly in a Gen2 grip.

I have about 4k rounds with these triggers and do recommend them based on my experiences.

I've felt the same way about my 2020. I'm considering having a friend I trust grind down all the texturing and do his stipple job.

My only concern is the structure integrity of the new grip as STI wouldn't give my any information on the new grip as far as stippling since it "voids" the warranty. I mean its it's a 1911, tweaking them to the end user is part of the fun.

I also have a High Grip Shielded Ambi Safety, Ed Brown Memory Groove Beavertail, and an Extra short flat trigger. Trigger reach is an issue for me and I'm looking to fix some of the comfort issues with the beavertail.

Havent decided if they are staying hard chromed or DLCed to match once fitted.

I'd be tempted to get a Cheely grip, however the aluminum grip has durability issues and steel is a heavy gun to carry on duty.

PERSONAL OPINION REGARDING Staccato GRIP MODULES
I have both the 2020 Staccato P Duo and C2 Duo with the new grip modules

Bottom Line Regarding OEM Grip Modules on the new 2020 Staccato pistols: The OEM are good to go as long as 1) you do not have smaller hands (size small gloves, me), 2) do not have sweaty hands, and 3) do not prefer more aggressive texturing.

I tried the OEM grips for two months and decided to explore a grip reduction (my smaller hands) and a more aggressive texture. I looked at two places: Extreme Shooters (ES) (Extreme Shooters | 2011 STI Gun Grips ) and Darkside Precision (DP) (Stippling Services - Dark Side Precision). From the photos of both websites, the DP aesthetics and attention to detail was greater than ES, as is their price. However, I still was not sure how it would turn out and did not want to risk ruining my OEM grip. I chose the option of buying a Gen1 2011 grip from DP with their EDC texturing to see how I would like it. If I liked it then I would keep it and reserve my Gen2 factory grip intact as a spare.

The photos you see in this link (https://1drv.ms/u/s!Au2TiH-xDa...e-qi3bGQ9-Q?e=gNqn5I) are OEM grip of Staccato P Duo, DP’s Gen1 stippled grip in OD green on Staccato P Duo, and DP’s Stippled Gen2 OEM grip on Staccato C2 Duo (the P duo also got the stippling with DP but no photos. Craftsmanship on both were excellent).
These are detailed photos of the OD Green grip module from DP https://1drv.ms/u/s!Au2TiH-xDagAguADRA-rt0BclpQrkA?e=Jq0SHA

I really liked the OD Green on the P Duo but decided not to keep it on the pistol. The Gen1 grip, when installed on the 2020 P Duo, leaves a little gap between the back of the polymer trigger shoe and the frame. The gap is about 1.5 mm and probably has no functional implications except that perhaps dirt and debris can potentially get into the trigger housing, something I did not want to risk. I decided to send both my OEM Gen2 grips (P Duo and C2 Duo) for stippling with DP.

Turn around time was about 10 days and the work is exquisite. I chose the EDC texture and to keep the STAR on the pistol grip, which costs more. You can go to their website links above for pricing. The stippled grips feel solid and I cannot see a structural integrity issue from the polymer grip reduction.

So if you have smaller hands, or sweaty hands, or like more aggressive texture, then I would recommend the stippling. If you stipple, then I would go with DP although they will cost more than ES. Save yourself some money and do not bother getting the Gen1 grip because of the gap issue and because their work is excellent and you do not have to fear them messing up your OEM grip.

And yes, I did consider the warranty issue. But what is the use of warranty if I do not use the pistol because of ergonomics?

PERSONAL OPINION REGARDING Staccato GRIP MODULES
I have both the 2020 Staccato P Duo and C2 Duo with the new grip modules

Bottom Line Regarding OEM Grip Modules on the new 2020 Staccato pistols: The OEM are good to go as long as 1) you do not have smaller hands (size small gloves, me), 2) do not have sweaty hands, and 3) do not prefer more aggressive texturing.

I tried the OEM grips for two months and decided to explore a grip reduction (my smaller hands) and a more aggressive texture. I looked at two places: Extreme Shooters (ES) (Extreme Shooters | 2011 STI Gun Grips ) and Darkside Precision (DP) (Stippling Services - Dark Side Precision). From the photos of both websites, the DP aesthetics and attention to detail was greater than ES, as is their price. However, I still was not sure how it would turn out and did not want to risk ruining my OEM grip. I chose the option of buying a Gen1 2011 grip from DP with their EDC texturing to see how I would like it. If I liked it then I would keep it and reserve my Gen2 factory grip intact as a spare.

The photos you see in this link (https://1drv.ms/u/s!Au2TiH-xDa...e-qi3bGQ9-Q?e=gNqn5I) are OEM grip of Staccato P Duo, DP’s Gen1 stippled grip in OD green on Staccato P Duo, and DP’s Stippled Gen2 OEM grip on Staccato C2 Duo (the P duo also got the stippling with DP but no photos. Craftsmanship on both were excellent).
These are detailed photos of the OD Green grip module from DP https://1drv.ms/u/s!Au2TiH-xDagAguADRA-rt0BclpQrkA?e=Jq0SHA

I really liked the OD Green on the P Duo but decided not to keep it on the pistol. The Gen1 grip, when installed on the 2020 P Duo, leaves a little gap between the back of the polymer trigger shoe and the frame. The gap is about 1.5 mm and probably has no functional implications except that perhaps dirt and debris can potentially get into the trigger housing, something I did not want to risk. I decided to send both my OEM Gen2 grips (P Duo and C2 Duo) for stippling with DP.

Turn around time was about 10 days and the work is exquisite. I chose the EDC texture and to keep the STAR on the pistol grip, which costs more. You can go to their website links above for pricing. The stippled grips feel solid and I cannot see a structural integrity issue from the polymer grip reduction.

So if you have smaller hands, or sweaty hands, or like more aggressive texture, then I would recommend the stippling. If you stipple, then I would go with DP although they will cost more than ES. Save yourself some money and do not bother getting the Gen1 grip because of the gap issue and because their work is excellent and you do not have to fear them messing up your OEM grip.

And yes, I did consider the warranty issue. But what is the use of warranty if I do not use the pistol because of ergonomics?

Thanks for the solid write up. I think STI/Staccato would honor a warranty if it had nothing to do with the grip being modified.

Txsapper

Amateur
This might be an off the wall question, but I am curious if any left handed shooters have had any issues with the ambi safety loosening up after extended use.

I’m probably being overly paranoid, but am going to use it for duty and don’t want any issues with the thumb safety.

Thanks

YetiSam

Amateur
This might be an off the wall question, but I am curious if any left handed shooters have had any issues with the ambi safety loosening up after extended use.

I’m probably being overly paranoid, but am going to use it for duty and don’t want any issues with the thumb safety.

Thanks

I've got 6337 rounds (which is a weird number, but that's what's on the spreadsheet) on my 2019 P Duo and 2950 rounds on my Gen 2 P Duo with no issue. Do dry work at least once a week with a lot of swipes. Not a ton of rounds yet, but will be adding another 1000 to the 2019 in Jedi's class this week.

My C2 Duo and C2 iron sight pistols have noticeably heavier safeties to re-engage than the P models. Like not difficult, but noticeable. Anecdotal.

JLL2013

Thanks

Right handed shooter but lots of dry and live fire left handed; no issues with the safeties on either side.