2019, Lightweight Plate Carrier Set Up

BooneGA

Staff member
WARLORD
@BooneGA I don't really know. My only experience is with Asip radios. I want to gain knowledge on different systems, their purposes, how to use them and what makes them work better/worse.

Running it inside the cummerbund and with a kydex or plastic cut out sounds pretty useful. Were you using a push to talk with this or is that why you needed to take it out all the time?

Ive worn peltors for 90% of the time I was out of the wire. Most of it with two radios running dual comms. I had to pull radios to change nets or fill or to use it for HPW/SAT/etc. As a leader that radio is my primary weapon and its in and out all of the time.

For bags I usually stay much smaller than a MR tri-zip unless I need to carry extra demo/LAW/batteries. My assault pack always included Arc'teryx wraith jacket, Kifaru Woobie, and a spare headlamp. Those take up minimal space and when you need them you NEED them.

Rick

Frosty_Bear

Oh and @TerminalEffect
I was going to test using only one FS tube cummerbund. The reason I lean towards both, even if it adds a few more ounces, is that I can put the PC on from within a vehicle regardless of which seat I am in. Obviously for work, I am going to always have it on, that's for personal use.

The idea is, if I'm in the passenger seat(for personal use), I may have a handgun, radio or whatever in my hand. Options, I like options.

On the Spiritus Recovery handle, can you provide some links to it breaking? I know people are lurking on the thread and I'm sure we would all be interested. Cause, some kind of drag handle is becoming increasingly popular as an SOP. Want to share that kind of knowledge here. I would love to see the DARCI DIY version lol. It honestly probably does work better. The concept of attaching it to the waist to keep the point of pull as low to the ground and as close to the center of gravity on the body as possible is what really interests me.

As far as medical, the mini from BFG is on the battle belt concept that I will be posting after I do more research and this thread begins to reach a sound conclusion. I'm not familiar with the "LBT-9022b", but it looks ok to good from a passing glance at the product. The TQs have holsters listed in the current product list.

Sorry for the 4 posts to reply to everything, been busy and I wanted to make sure everyone knew all their points were heard. I know everyone is taking this seriously and I really appreciate it. I know people are seeing this and not posting, and it is shaping some minds towards better set ups already.

Frosty_Bear

@BooneGA
Just checking, but HPW means High Powered Wavelength right? For those really high end wavelengths with the radios swapping 100s of channels a second and encrypted right?

By Tri-zip, were you referring to the Camelbak Tri-Zip for when you needed more storage and using the GI Assault pack for when you didn't? Wanna make sure I got that right.

BooneGA

Staff member
WARLORD
@BooneGA
Just checking, but HPW means High Powered Wavelength right? For those really high end wavelengths with the radios swapping 100s of channels a second and encrypted right?

By Tri-zip, were you referring to the Camelbak Tri-Zip for when you needed more storage and using the GI Assault pack for when you didn't? Wanna make sure I got that right.

Think of HPW as SATCOM that lets you use Outlook and send emails. It requires the radio to be removed and a different antenna affixed. Same with sat. I carried a pistol grip sat antenna in a double mag pouch at all times. You have to remove the radio to check the signal strength so you can transmit/receive.

I think the camelbak one is a knock off of the MR version. Never used it. The last "GI" assault pack I saw was garbage, no idea what they are issuing now. I had the MR tri-zips back when I was in the regular army and SOF has a whole suite of packs they issue from the FS helmet hut up to the HUGE MR packs.

Rick

I do something similar but just loop 550 around my pants belt and belt belt, 3 loops works for me. Clip the biner into both the loops on pants belt and party belt. I’ve only ever used none locking biners, it’s never been a issue. I was drag queen for the patch run last trip to DARC, no issues with it coming open, even when getting drug over the “portholes”

chasnojm

Heres an example of my kit as far as plate carriers ( I have a MRB setup for various tasks (moving rifle/pistol pouches for specific tasks)
For work:
Issued PC: Triple Shingle, BFG admin, Mayflower 24 hr MAP, Issued TQ pouch, Eagle SOF IFAK, Optional BFG 152 pouch & TT PRC153 pouch.

For personal training:

Crye JPC, Saber Solutions prototype inserts, BFG single tenspeed pistol, BFG double rifle (FBs/admin), Spiritus elastic C-bun, Spiritus SACK, Tyr zip on sleeves (back panel never used).

Last edited by a moderator:
@chasnojm IDK what your unit is like, but I'm running that same issued PC with a Spiritus Advanced cummerbund and IFAK dangler, it's way more slim and comfortable than the OEM cummerbund and issued IFAK pouch.

chasnojm

@chasnojm IDK what your unit is like, but I'm running that same issued PC with a Spiritus Advanced cummerbund and IFAK dangler, it's way more slim and comfortable than the OEM cummerbund and issued IFAK pouch.

I wear mine to be in compliance with the MCO on gear. Otherwise I'd probably do the same.

HighTower

@chasnojm
What MCO is in effect? (My last unit had different "understandings" of gearnin every company) And for an IFAK Alternative, NAR Makes a dope fanny pack. (PM sent to avoid thread Hijack)

chasnojm

I guess our local policy letter dictates that. It works for the live fire ranges that I am on. Its not high on my priority.

rcbusmc

1572605301018.png

1572605317298.png

1572605341256.png

1572605358689.png

All this information is directly from the 2MarDiv Gear SOP that was pushed out by the Division Commander, While there are some small modifications allowed by individual units, Such as I am running my old Eagle MAP pack on the back, Waist pack and Admin Pouch on the upper chest, Issue gear is the order of the day at Camp Lejeune. Chasnojm and I know each other pretty well, left him my dual tubes to use while I am deployed and all. Listen to his advice, gear is great, I've got a room full of it, but the reality is that pretty much in the GPF your gonna use what your given for the most part If you are joining the Marine Corps or the Army( Especially as a Officer) don't go spending a bunch of money on fancy shit, you probably won't be able to use too much of it, at least at first or until you get to a SOF unit or another BIG War breaks out and the Diamond and Star Sgt's start hiding on the Depots again.....

HighTower

Seeing the 2nd mar div lay out was a flash back I wish I did not have. Dont get me wrong, love the bejesus out of knowing where stuff is at, but my two cents that should be a platoon thing. As a signals guy at Camp Pendleton with individuals filtering out of RRTs into the SSTs, and MEWSts standardization for most gear went down fast as cold beer.

Wake27

...but the reality is that pretty much in the GPF your gonna use what your given for the most part If you are joining the Marine Corps or the Army( Especially as a Officer) don't go spending a bunch of money on fancy shit, you probably won't be able to use too much of it, at least at first or until you get to a SOF unit or another BIG War breaks out and the Diamond and Star Sgt's start hiding on the Depots again.....

I addressed it in my post, but in the army, this is largely unit dependent. I’ve seen variations in how much anyone cares anywhere from BN-DIV level and as an officer, we sometimes jump around to 2-3 BN’s in just as many years. I’d say he’s just as likely to go somewhere that cares about it as he is to go somewhere that doesn’t.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TrashPanda6

Came across this post and kinda intrigued my interest from a personal and professional standpoint. Firstly @Frosty_Bear congrats on the commission and best of luck to whichever branching you receive! Now onto the topic;

There seems to be this common factor which people forgo the end-all answer of METTC when it comes to kit/gear. There happens to be a method to the madness with unit roles and equipping ones self accordingly. Sure you can have a baseline with unit SOPs but ultimately it comes down to your role and the mission, both of which can change based on the current situation. What you have CONUS/garrison side will likely change once you get in country (or even possibly with training rotations). But its always good to stick with the basics in your role (be an asset not a liability!)

My .02 cents would be to stick with the basic issued stuff as uncool as it sounds. IOTV/SPC with the ACH arent the greatest but they get the job done. Being an PL you shouldnt be doing a whole lot of hard skills, more C2 which relates to working comms and being mobile. As cringey as it may sound, a good com-headset (Peltors, Sordins) is a good investment if you intend to be on the line awhile. Saves your hearing and makes communication a ton easier when multitasking. Quality radio pouch is probably needed if the issued ones are still trash (basically an oversized double mag prone to hot mics). From there its just getting to know the job at hand, experimenting a bit to see what works for you. You dont have to look like a SOF guy to be capable at your job.