2011 Spare Parts Kit?

Pat Tarrant

Custom testicles
Staff member
What parts should any end user of a 2011 (Staccato C2 in my case, but more general answers are good) have on hand?
Are there any preferred brands in general (Springco, Wolff for springs, etc?)?

Recoil spring is really the only thing. Sprinco springs have a 30k cycle life so they really don't need to be in the range bag. Every part that may need replacing is a handfit part so having a slide stop, bushing, extractor, on hand really isn't vital.
Mags go without saying of course.

I just looked through my range bag and agree with Joe above. I do have different recoil springs, but that is because STI gave me varying ones. I must not know what I am doing, because I do not really experience a noticeable difference in the factory ammo I have been shooting, which varies pretty wildly (I wasn't smart enough to stick to a Brand, gr, and lot for consistency).

When I was a 45 1911 guy many years ago, I had a spare extractor that I had tuned for the gun. I am not sure why, just paranoia?

One thing I just thought of, is maybe spare grip screws. I have seen some folks loose the tiny screws at the front of the trigger guard. I think those are threadlocked from factory, but if you broke that, maybe a good idea? I witness marked mine, and they spin freely in there but have not loosened yet.

Jake_Disty

Amateur
Is there anything wrong with have extra parts hand fitted to the gun and then removed to be put into a parts baggie and left in the range bag?

While it isn't the same platform, I carry spare parts for my Glocks in my range bag. OEM parts which drop right in. I think the same could be done with hand fitted parts. When I go to send my Dan Wesson off to the gun smith, I am going to ask them to hand fit me a few extra parts that I can see myself replacing in my life time. Things like springs are easy to replace, but I leave the real gunsmithing and hand fitting to the professionals.

JLL2013

That had been standard practice with extractors for years, now I think we're doing a better job out the gate and they aren't likely to need replacing (my Chambers fun has 25k rounds with no extractor or other issues).
Other parts, I don't know if having one component would help as things like Sears interact with the other parts whose tolerances may have changed before the guilty part broke. So maybe you'd need a whole "assembly" rather than one handfit part.

Is there anything wrong with have extra parts hand fitted to the gun and then removed to be put into a parts baggie and left in the range bag?

While it isn't the same platform, I carry spare parts for my Glocks in my range bag. OEM parts which drop right in. I think the same could be done with hand fitted parts. When I go to send my Dan Wesson off to the gun smith, I am going to ask them to hand fit me a few extra parts that I can see myself replacing in my life time. Things like springs are easy to replace, but I leave the real gunsmithing and hand fitting to the professionals.