2.5" knife for work at federal buildings

Pat Tarrant

Custom testicles
Staff member
So, after a DHS employee got caught with a revolver in his pocket, I'm reconsidering my EDC at work (at a federal agency).

I'm researching whether or not fixed blades are kosher (I'm assuming not, but who knows), but does anyone have suggestions for a solid smaller knife? I'm also looking at smaller multitools, as they're generally more useful, but I'd like something stout, as well.

Last edited:

Pat Tarrant

Custom testicles
Staff member
Thanks, man. I'll check them out. I know they have a great reputation in the community.

mattexass

Amateur
The CRKT Burnley Obake Skoshi comes in at 2.4 inches. I have one of John Williams inspired folders and it has been great so far. As far as smaller multitool I have the CX Skeletool and it has been great so far.

MrMurphy

I have one of Joe's original Hidden Key prototypes he gave me to test out (Reviewed on LF, before P&S existed I think). The Magni should be the closest thing he makes now to it. If fixed blades are allowed (being a fed building....i'd be hesitant) his smaller blades absolutely disappear under very nearly any type of clothing. My wife took it over after the initial test period and wears it basically every day for when she can't carry something better.

If I had to get a folder in that size range, I'd be considering any of the smaller Axis lock designs, or maybe a Spydero Copilot.

Pat Tarrant

Custom testicles
Staff member
As long as they fit my criteria of being permitted in federal buildings, non-metallic is fine. 2.5" is the maximum allowable. 2.6" is too much.

I've been a federal employee for many years. Here's my take from the places I worked that were worried about knives (i.e. NASA and the FAA).

Basically ANYTHING will get an odd look, even ones under 2.5 inches or there about. I've never had anyone try to measure a knife I was carrying, but I did already have security giving me the evil eye just for having a folder clipped to my pocket (this was Johnson Space Center, and the location I worked was a test and production environment, so a knife wasn't an unexpected item there).

What I carried at JSC, because quite frankly I needed a knife in the job I had, was a Boker Subcom, Swis Army Cadet, and Spyderco Dragonfly (which is great because it locks and is under 2.5 inch). I don't recommend clipping to a pocket though.

My current job with the FAA supposedly has random metal detector searches. I haven't been hit for one. Again, there's a 2.5 inch limit, but I also know people who regularly carry a knife that size clipped to their pockets without any problem. Those people are using an assortment of ones they find at Cabela's or Academy Sports (don't know specific ones).

What I'd recommend. Get a thin Swiss Army 83mm Alox model (either a Cadet or Bantam) and keep in your pocket behind your keys. If you have a watch pocket, these fit nicely. I can fit an Alox Bantam nicely in my wallet coin pocket where it resides at work. If your security seems like they actually don't follow the 2.5 inch rule aggressively (and with layers of interpretation), use a Spyderco Dragonfly or the like clipped or not clipped.

Now if you really have security that follows the letter of the law, a more full sized 2.5 inch blade like the Spyderco Dice or Emerson Snubby would be a good choice.

EDITED TO ADD: A fixed blade, even at 2.5 inches, will probably get you in trouble with almost any federal building/site security. It follows the letter of the law, yes, but it could be added to the interpretation that it falls as a "weapon" even though by knife standards its under the blade length. I wouldn't suggest getting involved in that battle.

Pat Tarrant

Custom testicles
Staff member
Thanks, Hooah. I've been in my building for nearly 5 years. Pocket clip folders are pretty common if one notices such things. I'm just outside the Beltway and have no intention of going inside, if that makes any difference.
:
For utility, I'm just going to get a small multi tool. I'm really thinking of a GITFO-DA from American Kami, if I can find one. But I'll look at those small locking blades.

Runcible

Runcible Works
Staff member
Vendor
For what it’s worth: Benchmade’s SOCP-Mini was spec’d and designed specifically to address the CFR for federal buildings, and the statutes of certain restrictive locales such as the city of Boston and the state of California.

The change to the sheath’s clip reflects the different prioritization and purpose.

It’s a kunai, which has understandable concerns for some; but it’s also a production knife with the cost reduction and replaceability that goes with that.

Pat Tarrant

Custom testicles
Staff member
Bringing this back for a follow up.

It's been a couple years since I bought a Spyderco Dragonfly and that has fit my needs very well. Not so much for a weapon of course, but as a small cutting tool, it's not particularly scary looking, not particularly expensive if it gets taken, but it does a great job with small administrative tasks. I also stash a Leatherman micro multitool in my bag next to an older Surefire Fury. Makes for a nice and handy bit of kit.

shoobe01

Established
Off topic largely I know re: fed employment, but close: I used to travel a LOT including international. My EDC thing ended up being a Leatherman Style PS. All the tools you might need, small and flat enough to pocket even in dress clothes, and not a hint of a knife to screeners. Apparently the standard for some as the one time it got really evaluated at an airport, when a bunch of other TSOs came over to look, three of them pulled out their own; it is the allowed multi-tool so let me pass.

EMT shears are also good to go normally and do everything that won't do, short of stabbing people. Only got them confiscated on the way into China once (and: not a letter of the law violation, just that you can't argue with airport security... and make me tell you about the dick at Edinburg who made my wife and baby cry before you get on the PRC too much).

I did work in buildings (including some with USG leases, or requirements) and IME they DNGAF about multi-tools or scissors but keeping even a short knife in the checked luggage to use there was more trouble than it was worth, too often, so I gave up on them outside of local/driving-distance offices I know won't care. Friends who are in MRO stuff (electricians, pipefitters) have to jump through hoops sometimes to bring their folding box cutter type knives, clearly for work, on site.