1st Suppressor Purchase

KyleDuPrey

Hey all. I live in Illinois and it is my belief that we'll get suppressors legalized this year. I've got money set aside and am looking for a quality can to fit my needs.

I've done as much research by reading as I think I can, but without a chance to actually try them I'm looking for some educated opinions on P&S.

Primary use for can will be home defense and to keep the noise down for the neighbors when I'm training in my yard.

Can will be on 9" BCM 300 BLK the majority of the time. Would also like QD to be able to switch it to my 11.5" BCM upper for 5.56.

Only other consideration is keeping the length down as much as possible for manuvering inside if necessary. I'm not LEO so this is purely for defense and running in training courses.

Have narrowed it down a bit to a few brands and would like to know everyone's experience running them.

Surefire Mini 2.= Through modcasts I've heard the guys speak volumes about surefire as being good to go. Got to handle a few and the QD seems solid. Definitely one of the smallest packages out there. Price is on the higher end and have to buy the muzzle devices as well, but if it's the best choice I'm willing to slap leather.

Dead Air Sandman S= Been hearing good things about these lately. A developer from SilencerCo went off on his own to start this company from what I understand. Has interchangeable end caps with different diameters to help reduce DBs when you go from 7.62 to 5.56. Also comes with one QD muzzle device when you purchase and price point on silencer shop is a few hundred less than surefire to start.

Gemtech Quicksand= Although I don't get the best price or shortest package this one, the quality comes highly recommended by Kyle DeFoor and some other instructors I've been to. Having not had a chance to test suppressors myself I've got to lean on trusted sources that have experience with them. Also had a chance to talk to them at their booth at a convention and their customer service was incredibly helpful. Seemed very willing to work with people and educate.

Opinions of these? Any others I should be considering? Thanks in advance

KUTF

Look at the Silencerco Omega. 5.56 through .300 Win Mag and also offers different end caps to maximize dB reduction as you switch calibers. It comes with a QD mount, .30 muzzle brake/mount & end cap.

N

nate89

It looks like you are doing a pretty good job deciding priorities of performance. I would try to make a list of the features you are looking for, and the order of their importance to help with your decision. Some factors to consider:

-blowback
-flash suppression
-sound suppresion
-QD mount
-length
-weight
-durability
-POI shift
-there may be more

Depending on what your personal priorities are, will dictate what you will be happiest with. A major point it going to be whether length/weight reduction is more important than sound suppression. If you get a smaller can, it will be lighter, shorter, easier handling, etc., at the expense of being louder. For me personally, I see a can as taking the edge off, I'm more looking for something that isn't incredibly heavy or long. Another thing to consider is working towards having multiple cans. For example, if you went the surefire route, you could go with the 300 SPS, and down to road get a 556 mini. The 300 SPS is very good on a 300 BLK (much better that the 762 RC2) sound-wise, and will work on a 5.56 as well. Down the road you can get the 556 mini, which is one of my favorite cans for 5.56 AR rifles.

I actually own a Saker 556 and a Sandman-S. I have been very happy with both, but if I could go back, I would probably go the surefire route. Dead Air making the adapter for the Omega and Saker to use the Dead Air mounts is a big plus for me, and may be something to consider.

N

nate89

Silencerco just announced the products for 2017. They have removed the original Saker from their website and have replaced it with the Saker ASR. While the original Saker could use the ASR mounts with a new back end, this will be ready for ASR from the factory. The cost has also gone down quite a bit for the new Saker. There isn't much info out there about it, so I'm not sure if it retains the original baffle stack/durability, etc., but looks like a solid option to consider.

*Note* This is P&S, and reasons behind a suggestion are required.

tact

Because it works and I generally do not make a habit of throwing around thousands of dollars on crap. I own 2 Sakers and a Specwar and I am able to move all of them around all of my rifles with the availability of their MAAD mounts. Trouble free , robust, competitively priced, minimal POI shift.

Kyle-
Full disclosure - I rep Surefire cans to LE in the Pacific Northwest; I don't sell them, I just demo them. There are a few members here who might be kind enough to vouch for my LE background; I'm not a salesman and it does not matter to me what you finally decide to buy. I won't talk about other cans as I don't use them but since you mentioned the Surefire 762 MINI2 I'd like to suggest what I believe is a better option from Surefire for your stated criteria. Surefire makes a can specifically to be the quietest with the 300BLK even though it's rated for the 5.56-300WM as well; the 300SPS as a QD (Genesis is the same can but direct thread). This 8" can is much quieter with the 300BLK than the 6" MINI2 or the 8" RC2 due to the internal technology that's designed for max suppression. The 300 SPS doesn't mitigate back pressure as well as the SOCOM cans do but there is not that much back pressure from the 300BLK anyway and this is the cartridge it was designed for out of an AR platform. The 300SPS/Genesis are great cans for precision 5.56-300WM bolt guns or ARs where back pressure is not an issue, but the greater gas volume of these calibers does produce more back pressure on AR guns so I would always recommend the SOCOM cans for a hard use/full-auto guns of these greater calibers. You state that this can will spend most of its time on the 9" 300BLK and it will be an excellent can for that task, get a Gemtech BC for when it's on your 11.5" 5.56 and that should handle any increased back pressure if you find it necessary. When your compare MSRP of the 762 MINI2 vs 300SPS, the SPS is $120 less expensive than the MINI2; that savings just about gets you the Gemtech BC if you feel you need one when using your 5.56.

KyleDuPrey

Kyle-
Full disclosure - I rep Surefire cans to LE in the Pacific Northwest; I don't sell them, I just demo them. There are a few members here who might be kind enough to vouch for my LE background; I'm not a salesman and it does not matter to me what you finally decide to buy. I won't talk about other cans as I don't use them but since you mentioned the Surefire 762 MINI2 I'd like to suggest what I believe is a better option from Surefire for your stated criteria. Surefire makes a can specifically to be the quietest with the 300BLK even though it's rated for the 5.56-300WM as well; the 300SPS as a QD (Genesis is the same can but direct thread). This 8" can is much quieter with the 300BLK than the 6" MINI2 or the 8" RC2 due to the internal technology that's designed for max suppression. The 300 SPS doesn't mitigate back pressure as well as the SOCOM cans do but there is not that much back pressure from the 300BLK anyway and this is the cartridge it was designed for out of an AR platform. The 300SPS/Genesis are great cans for precision 5.56-300WM bolt guns or ARs where back pressure is not an issue, but the greater gas volume of these calibers does produce more back pressure on AR guns so I would always recommend the SOCOM cans for a hard use/full-auto guns of these greater calibers. You state that this can will spend most of its time on the 9" 300BLK and it will be an excellent can for that task, get a Gemtech BC for when it's on your 11.5" 5.56 and that should handle any increased back pressure if you find it necessary. When your compare MSRP of the 762 MINI2 vs 300SPS, the SPS is $120 less expensive than the MINI2; that savings just about gets you the Gemtech BC if you feel you need one when using your 5.56.

Thank you that info is incredibly helpful. Thanks everyone else as well.

N

nate89

I agree with 556223, and my experience with the SF 300 SPS and 7.62 MINI have been similar. If you have heard 300 BLK subs through a sandman/Omega/etc. and try a 7.62 SF, you will be disappointed, because that is not what it was designed for.

As far as the Gemtech BC, I would also take a look at the new Bootleg adjustable carrier. I find it to be a bit easier to use, and in a similar price point. (small thread deviation)

Dr. Cornwallis

For a semi auto rifle cam I would look at Surefire and KAC, and since you want to be able to run it on a 556 gun as well, I'd go full size Surefire 7.62 SOCOM II. The mini is an excellent can but if I was going to be throwing down on just one, and especially just one to shoot 300 subs through, it would be the full size. To me there is a noticeable difference in sound.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jschulz

I run a Surefire 300SPS on a 9" BCM 300 blk and a 12" BCM 5.56 as well as a 20" 5.56 and a 300 blk bolt gun. It works fantastic. Minimal POI shift, crazy quiet with 300 blk. Since your primary stated rifle will be the 300 blk, I would go with the 300 SPS. I have a 5.56 mini and while it works for flash reduction, it is still stupid loud on a 12" rifle.

Dpvaz56

I got a SiCo Omega 30 for my first can. No problems so far but I also haven't put it through any hard use classes yet.

Dan_F

I own several suppressors and like many my first was the omega. It's a great can but lots of little annoying quirks. My favorite do it all can has to be the dead air Sandman S as the tone is great, no minimum barrel length, awesome muzzle devices and attachment method, and decreased blowback. It definitely gets my nod for best multi-cal use can.

I do have to say though that I find matching silencers to your caliber in the long run leads to a more satisfying experience.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Stringers762

Thank you that info is incredibly helpful. Thanks everyone else as well.
I too went w the 300 sps for my 9” BCM and have been super happy. I have also used it on my 16” Larue 762 and 556 guns. It just works. Solid lockup (I use all Warcomp) and never had any issues w can getting stuck. I also have a 556rc and a 556mini for my ARs, but I would use that 300 SPS on all my guns w full confidence.

Nate Osborne

NateMac
Staff member
Another thing to mention is the attachment method. I think the surefire and dead air mounting systems are the best out of the list you were looking at. I have some experience with both the ASR and MAAD mounts from SiCo, and based on seeing quite a few of them, they are lacking. If you do go with an omega, for example, (I would still suggest the sandman over it), I would plan on getting the key-mo and use dead air mounts.

BooneGA

Staff member
WARLORD
Another thing to mention is the attachment method. I think the surefire and dead air mounting systems are the best out of the list you were looking at. I have some experience with both the ASR and MAAD mounts from SiCo, and based on seeing quite a few of them, they are lacking. If you do go with an omega, for example, (I would still suggest the sandman over it), I would plan on getting the key-mo and use dead air mounts.

The mount is my least favorite part of the Omega can. I hadn't seen this option - but the last thing I need to do right now is dump more money into my SCAR...

Have you had good results with the dead air mounting system? Admittedly 99% of my supressor experience is with Surefire cans.

Rick

Nate Osborne

NateMac
Staff member
I have an original Saker 556 and the MAAD mount was a nightmare for me. It was always getting stuck, but at least mine didn't launch. I actually had a pinned and welded BE Meyers Saker compatible FH on a 13.7 gun. I ended up selling it just to change to the Keymount system by using the Key-Mo and I am so glad I did. Now my Sandman cans and the saker all use the same mounts, and I have never had one get stuck or come loose. I usually have my personal rifle with me at work, and it gets shot a fair bit by customers, so it gets attached/removed more often than I bet most do, just in demo-ing the attachment system, and it is still rock solid. I wouldn't leave a proven mount like the surefire to go with dead air, but I certainly would change my sico cans over (and I did). I don't regret it at all, and the extra money into new mounts is long forgotten.

Welcome to the rabbit hole of suppressors. Once you start, they will slowly multiply in your house it seems.

It seems like your initial picks were focused on size/weight versus overall sound reduction. As you stated, it would be used mostly in classes/training (where you will likely be wearing ear pro). So that makes sense. But, with smaller cans if you are out shooting by yourself, or in a group of all quiet guns, you might be saddened by how loud the smaller cans are.

As the suppressor is a muffler, and there is a basic volume equation that bigger (generally with high quality design) will be more quiet. But with most cans, larger means heavier and additional barrel length. So finding the individual’s “just right” balance can be tough, and with little/no experience handling suppressed rifles it makes it even harder. When I bought my first can, I was picking between the Surefire Mini and 556-212 (same size as the current SOCOM models). I was advised to go with the more quiet of the two cans, in an attempt to avoid possible disappointment with the lack of reduction by a micro/mini can. I was glad I took that advice, and I have found the Surefire to be a good balance in size/reduction for my uses. I then picked up a Saker 762. The can is heavier, longer, and impressively quiet on both 300 blk and 308. The MAAD mount is lacking, and was swapped for an Area 419 adapter (it now lives on my precision gun).

I love my surefire, and have no doubt it will last longer than my wallet ever will for buying ammo to put through it. The Surefire you are looking at is great dropping the blast to “less ear destruction” levels, and is a phenomenal, durable can. I can not comment on the backpressure from it though. I also really like the mount on the Surefires.

At the shop we have a Sandman S, and it is also a fantastic can. Similar size/weight. Compared to shooting other cans it seems to have less backpressure as well. Also, Dead Air muzzle devices are a good bit cheaper than Surefire’s (can be an issue if putting on 5 rifles). They also have a quality mounting system.

I have no experience with the Gemtech.

One suggestion of a can would be the Rugged Micro 30. I have shot next to one in the Micro configuration at Mammoth Sniper Challenge, and was impressed with the performance when in the small setting. What I like most is that it gives you, the owner, the most options to fit your intended use for the day/rifle. Want an ultra quiet backyard pinker with 300blk subs? Run it in the long configuration. Want a short can to reduce the blast on the 11.5 while in class? Run it in the short setting with a 556 end cap. By having a configurable can, it allows you to experiment and decide your “style” of suppressor ownership and desires. Working for an SOT I have come to realize owners all have different wants/needs, and that is partially why there are so many great options on the market. Also, muzzle devices and overall cost of the suppressor are on par with the Dead Air.

Best of luck in the search for your perfect can, you are already looking at some great options.