14.5 DMR/assaulter rifle

Arty_mech

I have been playing around with the idea of building the perfect infantryman rifle. A rifle that will fill the role of both DMR and assaulter. I have been bouncing the idea of some guys who would have more experience and knowledge than myself on the subject but we all seem to come very close In our ideas. The rifle I have in mind would have a 14.5 inch barrel with a mid length gas system and 1:7 twist. Muzzle device would be along the lines of a warcomp. Geissele rails to mount your light and laser aiming device. Trigger would be a Geissele SD-E or SD-C and the would all come standard with the A5 buffer system. Vortex 1-6 on top. The folks I have spoken with and myself all feel that this setup Could make your long range shots effectively while still being able to clear rooms on the true 1x setting. As far as ammo, what would be an ideal load that would maintain accurate shots out to longer distances but still preform well in your mud huts and homes in urban areas?

Abuchanan

Amateur
Just throwing this out there, I heard through the grapevine that Vortex is supposed to release a 1-8.... ("orgasm sounds in background")

ammo: You asking about a hand load or store-bought?

pointblank4445

Established
I love a good 14.5 or 16" AR with 1-whatever X scope. I have several. I've found loads with Barnes TSX solids to be a good compromise of accurate while still performing against barriers that give mk262 trouble.

One for your enjoyment

http://imgur.com/QSJCQrp

Since you are looking for ammo advice, if seriously recommend Speer 64gr or 75gr GDSP. We use the 75gr in our Special Purpose Rifle program, so I have studied it and shot quite a bit of it (+- 700 rounds). Both shoot damn near as accurate as Match loadings. Based on everything I've been provided by ATK, they both penetrate extremely well, with the edge to the 75gr retaining more weight through glass. Passed all FBI tests well. The 55gr is our duty round for our non scopes rifles. That's a great round for a 55, I just like more weight in my bullets. Take a look and see if they might work for you.

Longeye

Established
I will second the heavier Gold Dot loadings. It is great all around ammo. I have found it very accurate, and its terminal performance is consistently good.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Pat Tarrant

Custom testicles
Staff member
I've built a nearly identical rifle. 14.7" Centurion barrel, Geissele Mk3 rail, SD-E trigger, Trijicon 1-8 in a Geissele mount. It's a bit heavy for a general issue rifle, IMHO, especially if you're going to add a laser system to it.

A Kahles 1-6 or Mk6 may be a good option due to their good glass and lower weight.

I've been shooting 75gr Gold Dot out of it, and even though I'm not all that great, I can still get very good accuracy at 100 yards. I haven't had a chance to stretch it out due to local ranges not having anything longer available.

Despite being a little heavy (I'd guess around 10lbs loaded), it handles very well and I wouldnt hesitate using it to work.