14.5” vs 16” carbine rifles

Nate Osborne

NateMac
Staff member
In that last shoot house class I did, the 14.5 vs 16 topic came up. I was using a 16 and borrowed a 14.5, both had Surefire flash hiders. To me there was enough of a difference that i went and bought a 14.5 with pinned Surefire flash hider. I would have gone 13.7 but i read that my preferred muzzle device was long enough. I originally bought the 16 inch gun because I didn’t want to be married to a muzzle device. Well I have had that 16 inch gun for 6 years now and never swapped muzzle devices except for swapping out the birdcage, so that concern is, in my option highly over blown. Plus if you shoot suppressed a lot and have experienced carbon lock, it’s kinda nice to know the muzzle device won’t come off with the can when you start cranking on it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

As I was reading through the comments, I wanted to post something similar. I hear so much about what an inconvenience a pin/weld job is, and I really haven't seen that for me personally. I will note that I have owned and shot quite a variety of ARs before I eventually did a pin/weld on a 13.7" barrel. I have dead air suppressors, so the choice of muzzle device was pretty simple. I went with a flash hider from dead air, although the new SOLGW NOX looks very interesting, and when I get the funds to do a duplicate rifle to the one I use the most, it will have the Nox.

I get if you are just starting to shoot ARs and are still looking for what you want, a pin/weld might not be the best idea. At this point personally, I'm just not changing my guns around all that much. They are reliable, they work for their intended uses, and I find more enjoyment in using them than playing tactical barbie with parts and pieces. I also see things like bolts and barrels as longer-term consumables. When it comes to disassembling an upper for barrel replacement, you can still remove a properly pinned and welded muzzle device without destroying it, allowing it to be used again on a different barrel.

My 13.7 with a Sandman-K is only about 1" longer than a 16" gun with a standard A2 birdcage FH. If you start adding extended flash hiders or other muzzle devices, the difference becomes almost non-existent. I personally would much rather shoot a suppressed gun than unsuppressed, especially if I am not adding a lot of extra length through the use of a pin and weld.

Finally, I also think a 16" gun is perfectly usable and I would not consider it a choice of 'right and wrong,' but more of personal preference. I also have a couple 16" rifles that shoot very well, and I have no plans on getting rid of them. Either way you go, assuming you get a proper barrel, you will have a gun that will be perfectly useable. Ideally if you could find somebody local to you with both you could try them out and decide for yourself. If you happen to be in the Northern Utah area, I'll go to the range anytime I'm available and you are more than welcome to try different lengths out with and without cans.

Ryan St.Jean

Sully hit the point. A 14.5 has to be pinned. That limits options down the road if you want to change stuff.

I bought a BMC upper for a rifle some years back. 14.5 with a pinned comp and a fixed FSP (yeah hindsight is 20/20). When I went to put on a FF rail it was a major hassle. Had I gone with a 16” that would not have been an issue.

RexMagnum

Finally, I also think a 16" gun is perfectly usable and I would not consider it a choice of 'right and wrong,' but more of personal preference. I also have a couple 16" rifles that shoot very well, and I have no plans on getting rid of them. Either way you go, assuming you get a proper barrel, you will have a gun that will be perfectly useable. Ideally if you could find somebody local to you with both you could try them out and decide for yourself.

I ran a 16 through the shoot house and I run stock fully extended. The length really was a non issue, guys use 10.5 and 11.5 barrels with legacy cans all the time and it comes out to about 16ish. (And the can is definitely heavier) the 16 without a can is suuuper smooth in a midlength gas system. Fatigue is a factor when you start talking putting weight further from the receiver but some of these new rifles out here are hella light. DD has rifles plain jane that are like less than 6 lbs so does bcm.

Obviously don’t go shaving weight where it’s unnecessary but hold your rifle aimed at some point at the wall for a couple minutes and you start to feel it. Barrel length does have a weight correlation.

End of the day, pick one and train with it. Shoot it till it dies and by that time you’ll figure out what you will want on the next one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk