12 Gauge HD/Duty Loads

Pat Tarrant

Custom testicles
Staff member
Shotgun ammunition appears to be untouched here, so here goes.

There is a lot of good info from the modcasts out there in both the Terminal Ballistics and Shotgun modcasts. I'd like to open that up here, where the data is a little easier to find.

What are your preferred duty, home defense, and training loads for your gauge? Why?

DocGKR

Dr.Ballistics
Staff member
The Federal #1 buckshot, 15 pellet, 1100 fps "Flight Control" load (LE132-1B) offers IDEAL terminal performance for LE and self-defense use and is the best option for those who need to use shot shells for such purposes. In bare gel, all 15 of the 30 caliber plated pellets penetrate in the 14-18 inch range. This is FAR better performance than any 00 buckshot load.

While traditional Foster type slugs can be very effective against unobstructed soft targets, they tend to break apart and often fail to offer adequate penetration against intermediate barriers and tougher animals. Since slugs are typically selected with the goal of successfully penetrating something--often times intermediate barriers or large dangerous animals, Foster type slugs are NOT generally the best option for LE or defensive when penetration is desired.

Both the Brenneke Tactical Home Defense and Brenneke Classic Magnum are good slug choices. The Federal (PB127 DPRS) Truball Deep Penetrator 1 oz slug load is also an acceptable option.

Agree with everything stated above by Doc. For a dedicated home defense shotgun, not duty/patrol shotgun, I like a load that opens up a little more at close distance. The longest shot I have in my home is 25 feet. Federal #4 buck is what I chose. From a 20 inch barrel with cylinder choke I get about 1 inch spread per yard. At the max distance of 8 yards in my home that's all 27 pellets in an 8 inch circle.

Titan2025

The Federal #1 buckshot, 15 pellet, 1100 fps "Flight Control" load (LE132-1B) offers IDEAL terminal performance for LE and self-defense use and is the best option for those who need to use shot shells for such purposes. In bare gel, all 15 of the 30 caliber plated pellets penetrate in the 14-18 inch range. This is FAR better performance than any 00 buckshot load.

While traditional Foster type slugs can be very effective against unobstructed soft targets, they tend to break apart and often fail to offer adequate penetration against intermediate barriers and tougher animals. Since slugs are typically selected with the goal of successfully penetrating something--often times intermediate barriers or large dangerous animals, Foster type slugs are NOT generally the best option for LE or defensive when penetration is desired.

Both the Brenneke Tactical Home Defense and Brenneke Classic Magnum are good slug choices. The Federal (PB127 DPRS) Truball Deep Penetrator 1 oz slug load is also an acceptable option.

Doc..any idea where we can find any? Everywhere has been sold out for a while.

Titan2025

Doc's probably a bit busy to source for us. Best bet is to sign up for notifications from the bigger ammo sites.
Absolutely! I honestly didn't expect him to. Was just hoping he knew somewhere who had it in stock. I'm signed up for notifications on the ammo sites for a while and I definitely will post up if it becomes available. But it seems to be extremely hard to get. And availability runs out FAST...

Lutz501

Amateur
I'm assuming that #1 is more than adequate to punch through a skull?
Is there any benefit/negative to using steel shot instead of lead in the same shot size?
hopefully these aren't stupid questions. Thanks in advance.

MR2

There is a segment of the population due to size, strength, abilities that are limited to the 20g.

What are your preferred duty, home defense, and training loads for 20 gauge? Why?

Thank you.

There is a segment of the population due to size, strength, abilities that are limited to the 20g.

What are your preferred duty, home defense, and training loads for 20 gauge? Why?

Thank you.
I like Remingtons #3 buckshot load for 20 gauge. Patterns well out of cylinder bore for HD purposes and seems to penetrate well enough.