10.5" DI or piston?

Mortar

Amateur
Currently looking to move from 8.5" LWRC upper to a 10.5". Making the move for a couple of reasons, mainly going to be suppressed.

I have a piston upper on my 8.5" to increase reliability.

Do I need a piston 10.5 or will a BCM DI function as reliably?

Do the benefits of a piston carry on to 10.5?

Is piston necessary to have reliable (suppressed) 10.5"?

KevinB

Why 10.5"?

Generally best reliability out of DI guns is in 11.5" or greater, IF you can, get a gun built for your can - ie ported to run for it.

If you cannot get a Hk416, I tend to discount AR piston guns - as the reliability across the fleet is erratic.

JBowles

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Neither, like Kevin said anything less than 11.5 is asking for headaches at least for 5.56mm.

Mortar

Amateur
So 11.5" is the answer to my question? The best of both worlds length and reliability with DI.

Bourneshooter

Blue Line Sheepdog
I have a 10.5" Noveske upper that is usually ran suppressed with a Surefire can. It has yet to malfunction other than what is directly attributed to a bad magazine or reloaded ammo. It has ran wolf 55gr that is under powered as well as Hornady TAP 5.56

rob_s

What I would lean towards, on what I would consider a full-time suppressed gun at 90% suppressed use, is a 10.5" DI with either a reduced gas port or adjustable gas block and a suppressor on a muzzle-brake mount to act as a sacrificial baffle. One way some others have achieved the reduced gas block is to take a 14.5" barrel and cut it down to 10.5", but in the event that this DOESN'T work you have to start a lot of fiddle-fuck in terms of tearing the gun down to drill it out. Range in backyard = not a problem, having to drive to a public range = major nightmare.