10.5 AR-15 Upper

If you had about $400 to spend on a 10.5" complete upper without BCG and CH, what manufacturer would you go with? I have been looking at Aero, but I figured I would ask the community. I am looking to build an SBR backup patrol rifle.

Dr. Cornwallis

If you had about $400 to spend on a 10.5" complete upper without BCG and CH, what manufacturer would you go with? I have been looking at Aero, but I figured I would ask the community. I am looking to build an SBR backup patrol rifle.

I can’t think of anything 10.5 in the $400 range that I would trust for patrol work. For $439 you could get a BCM 11.5.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Joe _K

Established
Unless you are going for a Mk 18 clone there is no practical reason to go with a 10.3/10.5” over a 11.5/12.5” upper.

Unless you are going for a Mk 18 clone there is no practical reason to go with a 10.3/10.5” over a 11.5/12.5” upper.

“No practical reason,” is a pretty broad statement. I run a 10.3 rifle on patrol because it’s practical for me. Throw 6” of can on the front of that rifle and you’re right back at the edge of mobility in and out of the front of your prowl car. With that being said, an inch or two may not make that big of a difference but if you’re already building or buying an SBR, all options have to be considered and weighed.

Joe _K

Established
“No practical reason,” is a pretty broad statement. I run a 10.3 rifle on patrol because it’s practical for me. Throw 6” of can on the front of that rifle and you’re right back at the edge of mobility in and out of the front of your prowl car. With that being said, an inch or two may not make that big of a difference but if you’re already building or buying an SBR, all options have to be considered and weighed.

Considering the current proliferation of PDW style stock options, the LAW Tactical folder, and cans that are 4-5” in length, it would be hard to find a situation where buying a bigger gun case, modifying the stock, choosing a shorter can, or a combination of this wouldn’t allow for running a slightly longer albeit a more reliable, smoother operating 11.5-12.5 carbine.

Considering the current proliferation of PDW style stock options, the LAW Tactical folder, and cans that are 4-5” in length, it would be hard to find a situation where buying a bigger gun case, modifying the stock, choosing a shorter can, or a combination of this wouldn’t allow for running a slightly longer albeit a more reliable, smoother operating 11.5-12.5 carbine.

I am choosing to go with an 11.5 barrel from BA. With a geissele mk4 rail.