1-8 vortex strike eagle opinion

Farmboy20

Hey I’m looking for a low power variable optic and I’ve been looking hard at the vortex strikes eagle 1-8x. I’m looking for a reliable optic that very tough to hunt with and when i get enough money saved up take classes with. So i was wanting something very robust. My budget about 350-650 right now but if there is something better I’ll just wait and keep saving.

Matt Landfair

Matt Six Actual
Staff member
Administrator
We have an abundance of negative feedback on them, from too heavy to high breakage on low round counts. Part of reliability is NOT needing to use a warranty.

user12358

We have an abundance of negative feedback on them, from too heavy to high breakage on low round counts.

I am not advocating for the Strike Eagle as a duty grade optic but it certainly is not too heavy. Looking at my LPVO comparison spreadsheet it comes in at 16.5 oz which is lighter than a K16i, NX8, Z8i, or P4Xi by a small margin and significantly lighter than a ATACR 1-8, Razor HD Gen II-E, or Mark 8.

ggammell

Does not pass up an opportunity to criticize P&S.
If you’re at $650 top end could you either splurge for $300 More or save up an get one of the clearance razors for $950?

user12358

The old Razor 1-6s were very heavy at 25ish oz but they are tanks and I wouldn't hesitate to recommend them as far as glass quality and durability. Every other LPVO that Vortex has made has been pretty light but had hobby grade reliability at best.

To answer the original question, I honestly believe that the Razor HD 1-6 is the cheapest optic that you will be happy with and you can decide if the 4 oz weight savings is worth the $250 difference between the HD and HD-E model. They are identical otherwise and the glass quality and illumination is good enough that you won't be left wanting like you will with the sub $1k options.

From my admittedly limited time on Strike Eagle 1-6 and 1-8s I found them adequate for someone to try and see if LPVOs were from them but the glass is pretty bad with noticeable fish bowling and a heavy tint along with lackluster illumination.

Matt Landfair

Matt Six Actual
Staff member
Administrator
Failure rates, lack of durability, and issues with Strike Eagles make them nothing more than a hobby option at best

Longinvs

Quantified Performance
If it’s not a duty grade optic I would look at primary arms. Their glass has better clarity, the reticle is usable. It sucks to try and shoot groups with but it would be fine for critters. I hate the strike eagle. Poor glass IMO, the reticle sucks, and I know it’s not a true 1x, but on 1 power it always seems like the image in the scope is a couple degrees off from what my other eye is seeing so the images can’t even be visually rectified. I know people on this forum have spoken favorably of the Steiner, I have a primary arms that I have on sort of a long term loan from a buddy that I use as a hobby grade optic and have been reasonably pleased with, as already mentioned you might find a clearanced last gen razor or a dude that wants to dump his for the new one. I would seriously take a 2-7 crossfire over the strike eagle.

Farmboy20

Thanks all u for the info I’ll definitely just keep saving up and look at a different lpvo. Are the Trijicon AccuPower or the eotech vudoo or the vortex viper series to be considered? Any info y’all could drop be much appreciated

Bub

Amateur
I have the 1-6 strike eagle. My recommendation is NOT to buy one and save up for something with better glass like the razor. Looking to get rid of mine or move it to something else. I think it might actually work better on something like a bolt gun. As someone said above it's a hobby/intro to lpvo at best.

Wake27

The Steiner P4Xi may be the best “budget” LPVO out there. Anything less seems to be hobby grade. That being said, the Steiner really is a good optic and kind of fits in that Aimpoint Pro category - affordable but still quite useable. I’ve had mine for over a year now I think and it won’t be going anywhere until I can replace it with a Razor.

ced5d0b9d6c733f0996a6ac1fcdee4f9.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk