1 3/4" Shells

Slim

Jerk Ingredients Off
Staff member
According to the Haught's, they may or may not feed correctly in some shotguns.

I much prefer a sidesaddle and practicing twins/port loading. Just from a reliability standpoint.

For fun gun/competition where allowed. If they run, less reloading for you lol

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

MrMurphy

Aguila will feed in a Benelli Nova, Winchesters... Rem and Mossberg theres a drop in adapter. Haven't shot enough to have an opinion but I mostly use 12ga for sport these days.

Sunshine_Shooter

Established
Since these are now officially SAAMI spec'ed, shotgun makers will be able to make their guns feed them more reliably, further increasing their usefulness. Until now they were a novelty from Aguila, so there was no real reason for a manufacturer to take it seriously.

Fatboy

Established
On the work side of the house, since these are now a standard size it will be good for developing breaching related loads, particularly for really short shotguns like a serbu. Added capacity for a breacher as well as ability to carry more extras for the same weight penalty is a good thing in my opinion.

Longinvs

Quantified Performance
I can't offer anything in the way of pros and cons, but I hope to see a gun built around the shorter shell. Having a gun that's specific to a shorter round would be interesting and I could see it being beneficial in a social use gun where you're less concerned about patter density at waterfowl range. Perhaps I'm wrong, maybe those with more gauge time can set me straight, but as I understand it your average 2 3/4" cartridge has more than enough shell capacity to create a lethal round. I'd hope to see a shorter shell loaded with #4 that can still offer good penetration, offering a lighter gun with higher capacity.

erwos

Amateur
There was a gun supposedly built around aguila shells but I don't know if it was produced.
There was a South African shotgun, the MAG-7, that was built around this idea.

I am really very undecided on what serious use you can get out of these rounds. I guess if you're comfortable with 9 pellets of #4 buck rolling at decent velocity, they're a reasonable self-defense choice, especially given presumably reduced recoil. Probably could stuff enough into them to make a decent breaching round, too. I don't really see them as being particularly useful for 3 gun or other shotgun sports.

What we really needed was a rimless shotgun shell standard. THAT would have made a very substantial impact on the market.

Steven Cali

Quantified Performance
There was a South African shotgun, the MAG-7, that was built around this idea.

I am really very undecided on what serious use you can get out of these rounds. I guess if you're comfortable with 9 pellets of #4 buck rolling at decent velocity, they're a reasonable self-defense choice, especially given presumably reduced recoil. Probably could stuff enough into them to make a decent breaching round, too. I don't really see them as being particularly useful for 3 gun or other shotgun sports.

What we really needed was a rimless shotgun shell standard. THAT would have made a very substantial impact on the market.
I would be willing to bet that you could cram 8 #1 pellets in one, and that is starting to get into the realm of a decent load.

soniamann

It saves a bit from the capacity. It can look small at first, but during a long shooting session that can be a good deal, because you will have to recharge less often. This is a big pro I would say, and this is probably the main difference. I had a big folder with pictures that were deleted by accident from an SD card, with shooting captures, but what a relief that DATA RECOVERY service managed to get them all back. I could send you a few of them if someone wants.

22F

Staff member
I’ve been looking at those Aquila mini-shells for smaller statured or learner shooters in an under & over 12gauge.

I’ll get a couple of boxes to try out.

The aguila mini-shells, at least the packs I purchased some years ago, contain seven #4 Buck and four #1 Buck. I don't have a chronograph, though, so I can't speak to their velocities. When I get my 1301 in the coming weeks (waiting on Langdon to ship it) I will test their reliability and patterning in that and report back.