Recommendations on a chest rig to conceal carry a pistol (G43X / G19) that doesn’t look like it has a gun in it… ie, not tacticool

Barry B

Hi,

I have figured out most of my CCW options that suit my needs, body type, clothes choices, etc. etc. The one thing I am struggling with is a quick access chest rig for hiking, so I’m not carrying AIWB when I’m terribly sweaty, moving, bending, etc. etc. My requirements are quick access… prefer velcro, snaps, etc. over zipper… and I don’t want it to look like it has a gun in it. I prefer something that looks innocuous. I try to be the gray man, not the tacticool guy tipping my hand. I’m struggling to find something like this.

It can be either it’s own harness/rig, or can attach to my backpack chest straps, or both. I have no problem buying 2 things. One that is solo and one that attaches to my chest straps of my backpack(s).

Thank you all for any input… appreciate it.

-B

Grizzly

I really like my Hill People Gear kit bag: https://www.hillpeoplegear.com/Products/CategoryID/1 for hiking and carrying. It uses a zipper but they are strong and haven't failed me yet in years of use. The kit bag of various sizes can "dock" with packs or run stand alone. I have one from 10+ years ago when they made one size. Now they have lots of various styles and sizes so you can pick the one(s) that fit your situation the best.

MOT

+ 1 on the HPG. Perhaps not the fastest draw but with practice I got down to sub two second consistently. And it’s way nice for all the other goodies we like to keep handy. And if you choose to change guns or setup you can use the same rig, assuming it all fits.
You could in theory get a stand alone chest rig like the kenai chest holster and wear it under a cover garment. Probably less ideal though.

Seth Thompson

I bought a HPG kit bag this summer for hiking while carrying a 4" S&W M629 Mountain Gun in bear country. I bought it in their "sage blue" or whatever they call that color, as it was in stock and FDE/Coyote was not. This turned out to be a good choice, as the color is dull enough not to stand out in the woods and doesn't look "tacticool", at all.

The "kit bag" is very well constructed and thought out. Effective and safe draws take a bit of practice but HPG's YT channel has some helpful "how-to's" on the process.

I used it along with their pack lifter straps to connect with my Osprey 28 pack. The two bags worked very well together over a number of short hikes and a couple of long ones. Overall, the Kit Bag worked as advertised and would seem to be well worth the money.

Barry B

Seth Thompson

Is that holster part of the bag? That looks pretty slim. I like it.
The holster is a generic "Yaqui slide"- style, made of two pieces of webbing sewn together at right angles and backed with Velcro. Very slim, and can be positioned anywhere on the Velcro strip inside the bag, or taken out completely, if you want to put something else in there.

I'm not sure where I got it originally- it was in my "giant box o' holster stuff".

Barry B

The holster is a generic "Yaqui slide"- style, made of two pieces of webbing sewn together at right angles and backed with Velcro. Very slim, and can be positioned anywhere on the Velcro strip inside the bag, or taken out completely, if you want to put something else in there.

I'm not sure where I got it originally- it was in my "giant box o' holster stuff".
Gotcha…. That works. Just wasn’t sure If the holster needed sourced or came with.

The backpack lifter straps can be added or removed so it can be worn with a backpack or with it’s own harness sans backpack,I assume. I am familiar with HPG by name/reputation. Thanks for the information, HPG is top of the list right now.

Regards,
Barry

agelewei

+1 for the HPG Kit Bag. They have partnered with a kydex bender to offer a trigger guard made out of kydex that snaps on and off that’s tied to a loop inside the kit bag so if you need to draw the cover pops off. I don’t worry about it though, never needed it, hundreds of miles of backpacking with a G19 with no guard, no issues. 1665809438200.jpeg
Hi,

I have figured out most of my CCW options that suit my needs, body type, clothes choices, etc. etc. The one thing I am struggling with is a quick access chest rig for hiking, so I’m not carrying AIWB when I’m terribly sweaty, moving, bending, etc. etc. My requirements are quick access… prefer velcro, snaps, etc. over zipper… and I don’t want it to look like it has a gun in it. I prefer something that looks innocuous. I try to be the gray man, not the tacticool guy tipping my hand. I’m struggling to find something like this.

It can be either it’s own harness/rig, or can attach to my backpack chest straps, or both. I have no problem buying 2 things. One that is solo and one that attaches to my chest straps of my backpack(s).

Thank you all for any input… appreciate it.

-B

Barry B

Thank you everyone for the responses. I think I’ll call HPG and talk with them about the products. I’m liking the small jogger’s bag, but I actually have 3 guns I’d like to be able to fit in the bag. G43X, G19, and a G20 FS, which is my “woods gun”. Which, cuz it’s awful big at AIWB, I never carry in the woods. Thanks again, I’ve had HPG recommended previously by very, very active outdoorsmen.

I definitely want the smallest pack that will accommodate the guns noted. Thanks again.

Regards,
Barry

Barry B

And by “3 guns I’d like to be able to fit in the bag”… I mean one at a time. Just in case anyone thinks I’m crazy.

: )

Barry

MOT

I just checked again what my HPG chest rig will fit, I think it’s an original snubby kit bag. Will easily fit my 43, the 19 with red dot as long as I use standard mags. Neither the g17 or g20 will fit.

Attachments

• 81D2E048-8E52-456B-AA57-B39C50995AB1.jpeg
    81D2E048-8E52-456B-AA57-B39C50995AB1.jpeg
    2.5 MB · Views: 10

Pat Tarrant

Custom testicles
Staff member
That's about right. I can fit a G19 with a red dot and a TLR-7 into the original snubby kit bag. I also can (barely) fit a Staccato C2 with a red dot and TLR-7 in there. Anything with a longer grip (G45/17 size) or longer slide would need the full width and height kit bags. I used to have their Heavy Recon Kit Bag, and could fit a G17 with an ALG 6SM, Aimpoint, and X300 in it. I'm not a huge guy, and found the snubby to be a much more comfortable fit, and for my needs carries anything I need.

Grizzly

If budget allows just buy two. I'm about to buy a snubby bag myself. I've got the original full size and it will fit a g17 with pl350 and red dot easily. But since I'm apparently part pack rat if I have a larger bag I shove more crap in it. I'm hoping the smaller bag will force me to trim down what goes in there to only the needed stuff.

Barry B

So, for the G43X / G19 I am going with the Runner’s Kit Bag Snubby. 1 x 8.5 x 6, .75 lbs. Then I will suss out what the G20 SF needs. Thanks everyone who weighed in, very much appreciated.

-B