HD shotgun slings

Tommyboy

Looking for some recommendations on a sling. 590. I have a GG&G single point end plate on it now, I was looking at a Vickers padded sling but wanted to hear opinions before I buy. Much appreciated!

Sent from my LE2127 using Tapatalk

Pat Tarrant

Custom testicles
Staff member
I've used VTAC, Vickers, Magpul RLS, and most recently LFT slings from Armageddon Gear. I haven't noticed a significant difference in handling with any of them, but will admit that the loose tail on many 2 point slings can potentially get in the way of various loading techniques. For most users, any quality 2 point should work out fine so long as you practice manipulations and loading with it.

ggammell

Does not pass up an opportunity to criticize P&S.
There’s a reasonable case to be made for a single point on a pump shot gun. With the manual loading and moving fore end, it keeps stuff out of the way.

Tommyboy

There’s a reasonable case to be made for a single point on a pump shot gun. With the manual loading and moving fore end, it keeps stuff out of the way.
Have you used one? I worry about that barrel slap to the shins but I see it having more advantages.

ggammell

Does not pass up an opportunity to criticize P&S.
Have you used one? I worry about that barrel slap to the shins but I see it having more advantages.

Yes. Yeah it wobbles when you let it hang in front. If you can swing it around behind you, it’s less of a thing. It’s kind of the quirk of modern tactical pump guns. There’s no free lunch.

Pat Tarrant

Custom testicles
Staff member
The potential does exist. I'd still prefer a 2 point for greater control while shooting and while slung.

Certainly less of an issue on a semiauto.

Erick Gelhaus

Staff member
So, the thread title asks about HD (home defense?) shotgun slings.

The majority of my long guns (shotgun or AR) have an adjustable two-point sling on them. More oft than not either the BFG VCAS or Sierra Tac's adj 2 points. I've got both Grey Ghost and LFT slings here as well. The exception to this was when I was still working & had an issued 14" 870. None of the slings, when paired with that gun, would keep it in a muzzle down orientation. They all wanted to rotate so it was parallel to the ground. Switching to a single point for just that 'gun worked out.

However, if it is for a home defense gun, I probably would not have a sling on, except for training or classes.

I use the Magpul SGA single-point attachment along with their multi-mission sling. Inside the house, I remove the sling. If I take the gun to work, I attach the sling.

LukeNCMX

My 14" 870 has a Wilson Combat +1 mag tube extension/sling loop and a Magpul SGA stock.

I thread an unpadded Blue Force Gear VCAS through the front loop and and the opposite side stock loop.

While slung up (support arm and neck inside the loop) shooting strong side I don't have any issues with gun handling. When I switch shoulders I need to neck loop the sling which makes gun handling a little trickier but still doable.

With all that said I'll echo the idea of maybe ditching the sling for an HD role. Under what HD circs would you need to be slung/hands free? pistol transitions are probably a fantasy and its probably not a good idea post shooting to close the distance on what was just a lethal threat to attempt arrest/medical on your own when medical and uniformed LE should already be on the way.