Fighting revolver discussion & picture thread!

Erick Gelhaus

Staff member
Received my model 19-3 back from Defensive Creations today. Had a couple decades of someone else's use, abuse repaired as well as a dove tailed front sight and re-finishing.
Places with large, not always happy critters are in its future plans.
Looking forward to getting re-acquainted with a revolver. dl-dc1901.jpgdl-dc1904.jpgdl-dc1905.jpg

JimH

Snubby verification:

Ruger 38 Spl. +P LCR , 10 yards, 10 shot groups
lcrammo1.jpg
Left target; Remington UMC 38 Spl. 130 gr. FMJ
Middle target; Federal HST 38 Spl. +P 130 gr. Micro JHP
Right target; Federal Gold Medal 38 Spl. 148 gr. Lead Wadcutter Match

spinmove_

LCR vs 642 in a front pocket. Has anyone tried both and have a preference of one over the other?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JimH

Fighting revolver on the range yesterday..
ccsc620revolver.jpg
Yes.....
Yes, those are nails..
Yes, that it glue..
No, you can't make this shit up...

After listening to a bunch of podcast and a shit load of reading, I picked up a s&w 442 to try as a backup pocket gun in conjunction with my 9mm wonder blaster carried aiwb. All the things DB said about having a small pocket gun are spot on for me. The draw and presentation are taking the most time to get used to but having both options is great.
I also carry it around the house aiwb and I love being strapped and not having to wear real pants! Its slowly becoming my favorite pistol.

Definitely takes some dedication to get and stay proficient with but 148 gmm wadcutters shoot to my sights and are actually shootable in a gun this light. Right away I wasn't super thrilled with the trigger but after a lot of dry fire its grittiness has smoothed out quiet a bit. I'm waiting for the mailman to bring me my Apex spring kit now to hopefully smooth things out a bit more. I also found having the back strap exposed is rough on my little man hands so bigger grips helped a lot, not too big but just enough.
9f153a14dd6c13ea798b7c96edb1dd7b.jpg
81474f179fd2481e1203a3f8ebd7d949.jpg

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Steven Cali

Quantified Performance
My dream gun, which I have at long last aquired. Nickel S&W 15-2, 4" barrel, currently fitted with Pachmayr grips. Seems to have had some trigger work done, as it has the smoothest DA trigger pull I have ever felt.
This thing definitely deserves the "combat masterpiece" label.
KIMG0668.JPG
After this afternoon's range trip, I can confirm that I shoot it better than any other handgun I own, by a wide margin.

spinmove_

After listening to a bunch of podcast and a shit load of reading, I picked up a s&w 442 to try as a backup pocket gun in conjunction with my 9mm wonder blaster carried aiwb. All the things DB said about having a small pocket gun are spot on for me. The draw and presentation are taking the most time to get used to but having both options is great.
I also carry it around the house aiwb and I love being strapped and not having to wear real pants! Its slowly becoming my favorite pistol.

Definitely takes some dedication to get and stay proficient with but 148 gmm wadcutters shoot to my sights and are actually shootable in a gun this light. Right away I wasn't super thrilled with the trigger but after a lot of dry fire its grittiness has smoothed out quiet a bit. I'm waiting for the mailman to bring me my Apex spring kit now to hopefully smooth things out a bit more. I also found having the back strap exposed is rough on my little man hands so bigger grips helped a lot, not too big but just enough.
9f153a14dd6c13ea798b7c96edb1dd7b.jpg
81474f179fd2481e1203a3f8ebd7d949.jpg

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

I just installed the Apex spring kit in my 442-1 and haven’t had any issues as of yet. Still need to get quite a few more rounds through it though to ensure reliability. It is definitely an improvement though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

rudukai13

Pro Internet User
I have always liked revolvers.
Growing up, the good guys all had a S&W (Kor L?) or Colt Python, back when they allowed a crossdraw holsters, complete with the Buck 110 back behind the speed loader pouches...
Top of my current watch list are the used Wiley Clapp Rugers.
I look back at the craziness of what the SAA prices were, and the current Stratospheric snake gun prices, and would rather buy one that I don't have to do any work on, that has good characteristics.
Speaking of work, I did start to head down the path of improving the modern revolver using the Thunder Ranch 325..did not get very far..
View attachment 2890
This is the S&W way....

View attachment 2891View attachment 2892
This was as far as I got. Did a little work on the TLR-1's to pull them back so far. Both had Apex firing pin kits as well...
Don’t know how I missed these but that light placement is excellent, that’s how it should’ve been designed from the factory. I have to imagine it significantly simplifies operation of the switch and balances better, along with being more compact for carry. An eight-shot 357Mag wheelgun with provisions for mounting optics, a rail that would allow for attaching a WML in the pictured position, and moon clip compatibility is what it would take for me to get back into revolvers as a serious fighting gun. I’m still hoping Ruger or Colt gets around to producing something like that to finally compete directly with the M&P R8

Stanislao

I'm sure Kel-Tec will eventually make a revolver with a rail, three-part cylinder held together with deck screws and inexplicably chambered in .45 GAP.

More seriously, having light on a revolver would be extremely useful for certain handgun hunters and carry in restrictive jurisdictions. Pulling it off right is something that ought to be done.