Monoculars for law enforcement

Matt0311

Gents, I am in search of a monocular for patrol purposes. I would like something cheaper and more discreet than my high end Steiner binoculars.

My main use is scanning parking lots and streets for narcotics transactions and various shithead activities.

I had a Vortex Solo 10x25 but it wasn't quite good enough for those purposes. For the sake of this discussion let's consider that the floor.

Matt0311

It was excellent, just wasn't giving me the range I wanted. Ideally I'd like to read license plates a couple blocks away.

KUTF

I think you're asking a bit much from a monocular to be above the 8 - 10x magnification range. Leica & Zeiss both make more expensive monoculars but they're no more powerful and have smaller objective lenses. Many of the other monocular options are palm-sized or smaller, in the 7-10x range with smaller objective lenses (10-20mm).

Are you using some type of mini-tripod or rest when you use your monocular? Getting a stable image will squeeze more apparent magnification out of it...

If you want more powerful magnification in a monocular shaped package (ugh, I can't bring myself to say form factor), I think you're crossing over into looking at a small spotting scope like Leupold's 10-20x40mm.... size/shape wise you're holding something more like 1/2 of your binoculars vs the small monocular package you're probably expecting. Cost may be edging into the several hundreds of dollars... Would the Vortex Recon 15x50mm fit your requirements? An option that is obviously more expensive than what you're using now.

Just realize as you increase magnification, having some type of support/rest becomes more critical to achieve a stable & clear image. Using those high-end binos you already have may just be the best option.

Matt0311

I'm starting to worry that you're right and I'm not going to find a "just right" monocular under $150 or so. I also don't have much of a base of knowledge on optics. Solo also has a 10x36 monocular, would that be appreciably "better" than 10x25?

I'm not using any kind of mount. I just stabilize by resting my elbows on something.

I'll have to check out the Leupold option, unfortunately they're not offered on Gov X.

KUTF

If you're looking for "just right" in that price range, with the limited number of monocular options, you're not going to find it....

A larger objective lens could potentially increase light transmission, but overall lens quality, coatings, etc play a part in that as well. You could conceivably buy a higher magnification monocular with a larger objective and get a lower quality image from the auto-parts counter impulse bin acquisition.

Boy Scout

Being a warrant guy, I spent a lot of time (before going back K9) sitting surveillance in a UC looking for bad guys at addresses. I picked up a pair of Bushnell PermaFocus 10x binoculars that are pretty cool, but not anywhere strong enough for distance work. (They are baller at night though since there is no need to dial in focus and they swallow tons of light.) I ended up using a Manfrotto monopod that I found at Goodwill for $5, and a low end straight tube 20-50x spotting scope. It worked great sitting in the car not having to hold the optic in my hand and stabilized by the monopod. I would've liked a nicer piece of glass, but it got the job done.

FWIW - Don't forget the fantastic warranty and generous discount we get on Vortex products.
I'm not an optics expert and really don't have a lot of experience with various brands; however, below are the two optics I have used and my opinions on them.

What I use and how I have used it:
  • Vortex Solo 10x36 Monocular
    • Easy to clip on entry vest or backpack
    • After hitting a house (we are SWAT) we setup a security detail while investigators do their thing.
      • I use it to quickly get a better handle on what people are doing. People around here take potshots at law enforcement from time to time...
      • Used it to ID wanted felons in the crowd that sometimes gathers when we interrupt their dope supply.
    • Used in conjunction with an Iphone camera, additional zooming can be accomplished. (yeah, we are cheap bastards)
    • Not the best clarity; however, pretty damn good for the price point.
    • Fairly rugged and has survived "us" so far...
  • Vortex Diamondback 10x28 Binoculars
    • Compact size makes easy to transport
    • Good clarity
    • Rugged and comes with attached lens covers
    • Funny story: While watching a house , I spotted a couple one-pot meth labs in the yard from over 150 meters away. At the time I called it as labs to the guys in the tahoe with me - later upon closer inspection we found I was right...LOL
    • They are not Steiners.
Hope that helps - I'm not sponsored by Vortex - due to the great discount that is what I bought so that is what I use. Their "no questions asked" warranty is kickass.

MrMurphy

I use a small throwaway pair of 10x Bushnells on patrol, supplement to the larger 10x50s the cars have. Not awesome but they work. Also not $200 if somethimg happened to them. For dedicated surveillance, i have better glass.

voodoo_man

Established
Guys who use magnification for LE purposes - have you had to produce the optic and all the information in court?

Boy Scout

^ I have not, as all of my uses have been for warrant arrests, not search warrants or PCs. Good question!

TheLastOne

Hi, here are some good options, maybe these can help you to chose smth https://www.bestadvisers.co.uk/monoculars . But I would advise you to pay attention to these:

1) The smallest convenient and correspondingly cheap - Veber Sport 12x25 BR - costs about 20 bucks. Veber generally well proven in optics. If you do not need a lot, but just want smth small and light - then this is an excellent choice.

2)The next great model is Yukon NVMT Spartan. It's just candy costs about 150-200 bucks, but it does a lot of things. In fact, this is a night vision device that will allow you to view a picture at night for a distance of up to 150 meters. This is certainly not the main plus, but a pretty cool improvement of the conventional monocular. The main plus of this model is the ability to use as an objective. I travel quite often and I really like the fact that I can take photos of very remote objects. True, take into account that shooting at night is possible, but the quality will be much worse than during the day. (Yes, I'm using this monocular) And I think that this one would feet you the best. Especially if you are working at night too.

In general, I think of all this, you'll choose something)

EricWalker

There is cool stuff on ATN that will be selling soon. It is worth waiting for their monocular. You can check them out on https://www.atncorp.com/thermal-monoculars, they usually have really good prices. I can assure you that their equipment is really good quality equipment and it is worth buying it because it will last you for a long time without breaking. I have had their scope for a year now and I love hunting with it, I even managed to make some really good videos with it.