Shooting progress

Steven Cali

Quantified Performance
Starting this thread to keep myself honest, and remind me of my progress. Went to the range today, shot mostly okay-ish groups, but almost every single one had a single bad flyer as the result of my flinch. I think shooting a really good group and then sending the last shot 12" low might be one of the worst feelings on the planet.
All groups are 10 rounds slow fire at ten yards. Some of the photos got eaten by my shitty worn out phone, so I I'll just post what I was able to save.
Using both hands:
received_441512166795196.jpeg
received_457165474903094.jpeg
Strong hand only:
received_567390914095653.jpeg
Support hand only, strangely the best group of the day, probably due to not having learned to flinch in that hand yet.
received_518595872332944.jpeg
Definitely having an off day, but still needs to be recorded. Hopefully next week i will improve on it.

Maskull

"to keep my self honest" is sometimes embarrassing usually humbling but always a good thing. What I have recently started doing is recording myself on my phone and whenever I find myself doing something weird I'll call in it out and describe what happened both physically and mentally. I find it helps connect what's going on to what I'm perceiving. Additional bonus is I can critique myself on how I'm communicating info.

Steven Cali

Quantified Performance
Well, another range trip, and another post, here are today's results. My phone is being shitty with me, and not letting me upload some of the photos, so here's a screenshot of the photo of my first group.
10 yards, ten rounds untimed to warm up/gauge my abilities from a cold start. Mostly pleased with the group, except for the two hits just off the edge of the bull. At least I was able to call them as misses when I broke the shots. The hole at the top of the ten ring is actually two hits, which took me a minute to realize.Screenshot_20191230-153950.png
Second target was "The Test", 10 shots, at 10 yards, in 10 seconds. Used a shot timer app on my phone, which isn't great, but it's better than nothing until I get a good timer. Pretty sure the app was recording echos from the indoor range as shots, hence the screwy round counts and splits, but it'll do for now.Screenshot_20191230-142541.png
Very pleased with the group on this one.
Again my phone is being a pain, so here is a screenshot. :/
Screenshot_20191230-170654.png
Was going to repeat the test strong hand only and weak hand only, but someone else showed up and started shooting, and the app wouldn't give any usable data whatsoever, so I just did 20 rounds strong hand only to test out my new mag extension.
No problems with the mag, but the group had a few rather embarrassing flyers.
My phone is, shockingly, refusing to give a better resolution image than this...
Screenshot_20191230-172007~2.png
Then I shot a 10 round group at 15 yards, in honor of the dude who capped the church shooter yesterday with a 15 yard headshot.
Turned out better than expected, but worse than I had hoped.Screenshot_20191230-173219.png
And finally l ran 25 rounds of my carry ammo through my extended mag at 7 yards to test it for function. Definitely felt myself flinching on some of those, and I think it might be contributing to my flinch. I'll be switching to something a bit milder once I burn through my stockpile of 155 hst. Maybe even convert it to 9.Screenshot_20191230-181901.png

Steven Cali

Quantified Performance
No photos to go with this one, but figured it was worth reporting anyways. Went with my boss to his private range to test a few guns for reliability, and got a chance at the end of the day to do a little bit of shooting with my own gun. I was ringing 12" steel better than 50% if the time at 75 yards, which is further than I would have believed was possible 6 months ago. Also serves to confirm my zero as far better than I could have hoped, considering I zeroed it back when I could barely hold all my rounds on a B8 bull at 10 yards. Still a long way to go, obviously, but I'm feeling good about my progress so far. Still having trouble shooting fast though, I managed to miss a bowling pin at 7 yards when I tried to draw and hit it in under two seconds. :/

Steven Cali

Quantified Performance
Pannone describes it best as "pools of time." Get your draw to around 1 second, then you have plenty of time to refine and press press press to get a good hit in under 2 seconds total.

http://soldiersystems.net/2016/05/21/gunfighter-moment-mike-pannone-/
That's the plan. Right now I'm spending most of my dryfire draw practice going slowly, smoothly, and cutting out excess movement. I figure it's better to learn a good draw stroke slowly and work up to speed, than quickly learning a poor draw stroke that gets me a passable speed with poor hand placement, too much unnecessary movement, and no way to improve without unlearning it.

Steven Cali

Quantified Performance
First 25 yard b8. Scored 68. Definitely needs some improvement. KIMG0013.JPG
On the bright side, at least all 10 rounds are on paper.
Second target:
Did some dryfire to warm up, and then shot a 73, although the groups are about the same size, so I wouldn't necessarily say the dryfire helped this target.
KIMG0014.JPG
Third target:
I was feeling good about this one until I shanked the 9th round into the 5. Still managed an 82.
KIMG0016.JPG
Starting to get a feel for things, I think.