Aridus CROM with an Holosun Micro Dot?

Tom Clayton

I'm looking for opinions using this combo on my Beretta 1301 Tactical. Maybe I'm wrong but from what I can tell, the Holosun HE515GM the same footprint as the Aimpoint T2. I'm wanting to put my T2 back on a rifle and replace it with the Holosun. I like the fact the Holosun has shake awake ability along with the multi reticle of a dot and circle. My 1301 would be my home defense gun. What do you think of this set up? Anyone else use a combo like this? Are there better options or should I just leave the T2 on it and put another red dot on my rifle? Thanks

Nowski

I had a Holosun on mine when I had it, I didn’t have the crom though. It survived the day I had it on the fun t try it out. I can’t remember the round count but I shot 00 buck, 000 buck, high brass/low brass bird shot and slugs with out an issue. I have used the site on three different AR’s ranging from 11.5 to 16 inches. Never a flicker or folly from it and too date I haven’t replaced the battery yet, still has the original one from when I got it in trade some years a go. I have the 503CU which is just the battery operated circle dot/ dot reticule in red. I wouldn’t hesitate to get another one, in fact I bought a 407c (2 moa dot RMR clone) to put on my 11.5 ar pistol.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wake27

I’d put the T2 on whatever your primary HD/serious use gun is going to be. That being said, I have a Vortex Crossfire in the CROM for my 870. Obviously different optic on a different gun but they’re all supposed to share the micro Aimpoint mounting profile. Unfortunately I have yet to use it, but it seems great.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tom Clayton

I see a couple advantages of going with this set up. One is the "donut of death" reticle. A 2 MOA dot with a 65 MOA circle seems to be the ideal reticle for home defense use. The second adavantage I see is the shake awake technology. Having that ability along with the 50,000 hour battery life, seems to negate any adavantage the T2 may have. I like my T2 but want to move it back on an AR pistol. Durability on a shotgun was the only concern I had with the Holosun but Nowski as eased some of my fears. Thanks for the responses.

DFW_Jose

Just bringing this back up to the top. New guy here and I've had a Beretta 1301 for a little over a year now. I've taken both the Rangemaster Defensive Shotgun and the Defensive Shotgun Instructor courses and had a chance to play with a few red dot shotguns and I really want to add one now.
And I'm really leaning towards the Holosun for the above mentioned reasons but I'm wondering how reliable it will be. So has anyone used this long term yet?

Runcibleman

I've been running a Holosun HE503R-GD (so rotary dial on the side rather than button to turn on/off and select brightness and their "Gold" color reticle) on a 1301 for the last five months. It's been trucking along without issues, eating up the recoil from 00 and 000 buck, and plenty of full-power slugs without issues. It is a stupidly fast reticle for all the fast shots at speed, as you have no doubt where you'll place buck with that 65 MOA circle. I found that it's about the right size for anything out to 15-20 yards depending on the type of buckshot. Then with slugs, I can shoot cloverleafs off hand with slugs at the same distance thanks to that fine 2 MOA center dot. Basically, to me, it's beyond rugged and a proven reticle.

DFW_Jose

I've been running a Holosun HE503R-GD (so rotary dial on the side rather than button to turn on/off and select brightness and their "Gold" color reticle) on a 1301 for the last five months. It's been trucking along without issues, eating up the recoil from 00 and 000 buck, and plenty of full-power slugs without issues. It is a stupidly fast reticle for all the fast shots at speed, as you have no doubt where you'll place buck with that 65 MOA circle. I found that it's about the right size for anything out to 15-20 yards depending on the type of buckshot. Then with slugs, I can shoot cloverleafs off hand with slugs at the same distance thanks to that fine 2 MOA center dot. Basically, to me, it's beyond rugged and a proven reticle.

BTW did you use the stock rail or the CROM?

Runcibleman

BTW did you use the stock rail or the CROM?

Oh, thanks that you asked, that's indeed an important detail! I do use the CROM mount, which really gets the optic into a really nice plane (with respect to the bore and front sight). The only hard part is that there is VERY little clearance between the front of the HE503 and the front hex screw. You are best off buying a spare hex key or two and grinding it carefully down to just barely fit into the hex slot under the front of the optic. Even then it's hellishly tight, but doable.

A few pictures for reference:

A normal hex bit won't even fit here:
20200123_174111.jpg 20200123_174122_HDR.jpg

So you need to modify a hex key by shortening the driving end:
20200123_174141_HDR.jpg

Bonus tip: If you're struggling to mount a light in a sensible manner, and have the Aridus Zhukov-style forearm with the M-Lok slots, you can mount most Surefire Scout and Streamlight Rail Mount family lights to a MAG935 (that's the part number) extended cantilever M-Lok mount from Magpul (https://magpul.com/m-lok-extended-cantilever-light-mount.html?mp_global_color=118). NOTE: This doesn't fit the SureFire DS00 Dual Activation Switch or M600DF Scout Light!

My gun runs a Streamlight HL-X, and thereby you eliminate almost all barrel shadow (just a tiny bit in the far corner). I decided to run the pressure pad remote they include, and that with their "automotive grade" double-sided tape, and an extra zip-tie thrown around the Zhukov's insides hold it in place with a high degree of confidence.
20200123_174235_HDR.jpg

My WML solution...
a43a214e1a7ebb126535454ad9477b67.jpg
a18c88921b82108067a9470e89890b8f.jpg
2ff0ab76b03231f763ee38fabe04d1f9.jpg
0082418c5b52a74cf6045e2da8057189.jpg
605a464dbb9fdd443b31edda6fc0ec90.jpg

Runcibleman

Wow! Seeing that, I'd actually argue that the RMR CROM mount might be the way to go, especially now that they're flogging Holosun 507C's for $200 and change (because of the incoming 507C v2) and because there is just less fuss with the sight installation.

Pat Tarrant

Custom testicles
Staff member
I recently installed a 503R and ran into the same issue with my T1 CROM. I was a little less reserved in my approach and used a ball had allen key. In order to get the torque right I did mar the finish on the 503R a little bit, but nothing unacceptable to my admittedly low standards. It goes on, but not without a fight.

If my 1301 hadn't come with the T1 CROM already installed, I likely would have rather gone with a RMR CROM and 507c

I like that TLR-1 HL on the foreend. I was planning to pickup an X300 and glad to see the idea validated. How has that 507 held up? I and a couple of people in my area have had bad luck with the 507 on handguns.

Lutz501

Amateur
I've got upwards of 1k rounds through the 507c on my gauge. I have had no issues with it other than the first time I changed the battery (premptively on my birthday) the new battery gave a low battery indicator after only about a month. Haven't had that issue again however so I'm thinking it was a lemon battery. I've dropped the gun optic first twice and it rattles about in the patrol car everyday without issue.

I also went with a TLR-1 on the foreend but I went with the HPL and because it's a pump stayed with the normal switch. This is my preferred mounting for shotgun lights now.

Attachments

• shotty.jpeg
    shotty.jpeg
    50.2 KB · Views: 43
  • shottylight.jpeg
    shottylight.jpeg
    43.7 KB · Views: 43