starting the gaming matches again

Clay1

I haven't shot USPSA in years. It's the only game in my area. If I wanted to shoot my roland type build at an event, I know that I am in open class. If I want to shoot it from AIWB can I at a local match?

Nate Osborne

NateMac
Staff member
When shooting open, limited, L10, you are fine shooting from appendix. In the past I have shot my 226 in Limited from an appendix holster. While you might get some funny looks/comments (I certainly did when I started shooting from concealment), unless the club is full of assholes, as long as you are safe, it'll quickly become a non-issue. If you have any other specific questions about shooting USPSA with your set-up feel free to ask. Also, if someone does make it an issue, have them show you in the rules where what you are wanting to do is prohibited (it doesn't exist). One of the big advantages of USPSA, in my opinion, is the rulebook.

Clay1

I renewed my USPSA membership, and I registered for a match with the webiste of the club only to find out that the reason that it wasn't available with Practiscore is that the match is full and I am on a waiting list., damn.

Clay1

Nate, I never came off of the "waitlisted" category for this match, so I have a couple more weeks until the next available match to consider my set up.

Two questions:
"21.3 After-market slides and barrels SLIDES:Current rules remain in effect –You may replace the slide with an OFM or aftermarket slide of the same length, contour and caliber as the original slide for that model of gun. BARRELS:You may replace the barrel with an OFM or aftermarket barrel of the same length and caliber as the original barrel for that model of gun."

I carry a compensated G19.5 with a Surefire X300U as my CCW. Can I just unscrew the comp and put the threaded barrel protector back on and shoot in CO? Remove the light of course. Or is a capped threaded barrel still too long even though it was designed for a G19? Something tells me it's too long.

21.5Exchange of minor INTERNAL components (strikers, sears, springs, connectors/disconnectors, and other wholly-internal parts) INTERNAL parts: A broad range of INTERNAL parts may be modified or replaced –either with OFM or aftermarket parts. Special Notes/Clarifications: •Strikers, sears, springs, connectors/disconnectors, and any other part which is NOT visible when the gun is in battery is considered an INTERNAL part and may be modified or replaced unless otherwise prohibited in these provisions (see section 22 for specific prohibitions). •Guide rods are considered an “internal part” and may be modified and/or replaced with OFM or after-market guide rods even though part of the guide rod is externally visible when the gun is in battery. Note that the weight limits in D7, Item18 remain in force and relevant. •Internal magazine disconnects are legal as they are internal parts that do not show while in battery. 21.6Exchange of minor EXTERNAL components •Sights, firing pins, firing pin retainers, pins, extractors, magazinereleases, slide stops, thumb safeties, triggers, hammers, bushings, and ejectors MAY be replaced with OFM or aftermarket parts. •Barrels are considered “external parts” and are subject to specific restrictions in 21.3.

If I have one of those flat faced, red, Overwatch Precision triggers installed, am I OK? I thought that I read somewhere else that it had to have the same appearance as a stock part???

Nate Osborne

NateMac
Staff member
I'm not sure off the top of my head on the threaded barrel (just off my memory they are only allowed in Lim/L10/Open), but USPSA has really opened the floodgates for prod/CO as far as aftermarket stuff that is allowed recently. New triggers, hammers, slide stops, etc., etc. are all GTG now. Like it or not, that is the reality, so just check on the threaded barrel legality and beyond that you should be good to go in CO.

Steve H.

"is a capped threaded barrel still too long even though it was designed for a G19?"

A threaded barrel is longer than the barrel that it came with from the factory, so it is not legal. That being said, I have seen multiple people shoot glocks with threaded barrels in carry optics at matches. A lot of illegal modifications fly under the radar at level 1 matches, especially for new shooters. Unless you are placing near the top, nobody is likely to care. That said, I don't shoot with a threaded barrel because: 1. I want to abide by the rules to a T and not have anyone question my setup, 2. It takes minimal effort to swap barrels, and 3. You aren't really gaining anything with the extra barrel length.

Clay1

I want to follow the rules too and that's what prompted the questions. If you run a Roland style set up many locktite or VC-3 those threaded comps to the threaded barrel, it's timed and it torqued to a specific standard - not something easy to do and undo. It's not the barrel length that gives the edge, my comp with duty ammo is the edge, just wanted to compete with what I carry.

I have a pair of G34s that I ran in the old days in production.

I should have the second gun sent off this week to have it milled for another RM06. I'll just set the second gun up to run in Carry Optics and not mess with the barrel per Chasnojm. I knew that from the beginning but it was about shooting a match with what I had available at the time of the match.

Steve H.

I want to follow the rules too and that's what prompted the questions. If you run a Roland style set up many locktite or VC-3 those threaded comps to the threaded barrel, it's timed and it torqued to a specific standard - not something easy to do and undo. It's not the barrel length that gives the edge, my comp with duty ammo is the edge, just wanted to compete with what I carry.

I have a pair of G34s that I ran in the old days in production.

I should have the second gun sent off this week to have it milled for another RM06. I'll just set the second gun up to run in Carry Optics and not mess with the barrel per Chasnojm. I knew that from the beginning but it was about shooting a match with what I had available at the time of the match.

Yeah, I have a KKM comp/barrel, so I know taking the comp off and on is a pain. When I said that it was too easy not to throw in the OEM barrel I was responding to your question about shooting the threaded barrel with a thread protector. If you have already gone through the hassle of removing the comp, swapping barrels is nothing.

Good luck to you in future matches!

Clay1

Tuesday night league, ran the 19.5 with RM06, comp, X300U from AIWB (Tenicor Malus Sol) in open class. What a blast. Different club next Tuesday night about an hour away, same rig. Lot's to learn still, but having fun.

Clay1

Thanks Chris. Some guys like to be the best shooter in their group. Many times, in my group, I'm that guy.

I realize that if you want to advance, you need to shoot with people that are better than you are. If you have a fragile sense of self, life is hard. I want to be the worst shooter on the squad, because that means that everyone else has their stuff together. That is a surefire way to advance quicker than shooting by yourself at your personal range.

This local league, everything is old school shooting out of shooting boxes instead of shooting within fault lines. One course had 5 boxes to shoot from and I was determined to MOVE quickly. One station, I didn't engage one of the "off the beaten path targets" and scored two Mikes and a procedural on that one. I'll get better at playing the game.

Two clubs both shoot on Tuesday nights. I shot last Tuesday, already signed up for next Tuesday at another club and the Feb match at another club the registration opens in 45 mins on Practiscore. Let the games begin.

Clay1

I've been pulling a trigger for a moment here lately. My journal indicates 8 live fire range sessions in 3 weeks. Last night's league was a blast. I'm FINALLY getting back into the grove. Haven't seen the results from the match, but the goofy guy shooting from concealment is turning heads. I cleaned a stage last night with a Texas star. All Alphas and that TX star was shot clean: 6 for 6. Time was great, hits were great.

It's amazing what happens when you put the work in. Note: my dry fire sessions have me sub one second draws from concealment and life is good. I'm not where I want to be, but I am moving forward with work. Damn nice to be getting into the grove with the new Roland-ish firearm from concealment vs shooting the G34.

Thanks for everyone's help and encouragement.

Also note: don't ask me about the one target that I forgot to engage. The shooting is better, but the stage planning still has more work to do than the shooting skill set.