.38 special

Steven Cali

Quantified Performance
In light of my recent aquisition of my S&W model 15-2, I reviewed the data I have on .38 special ammo, hoping to find a suitable load for it, and I realized that all the information I have for .38 special from 4"+ barrels is older than I am, (which doesn't necessarily make it wrong, but when the two best performers in the data are the 125grain hydra-shok and the FBI load, it is worth revisiting) Google doesn't seem to turn up much actual data on more recent developments in the realm of .38 special. Obviously this is due in large part to the rise of autoloaders, but presumably .38 has benefited from the advancements in bullet design in the same way as 9mm has. Does anyone have any more recent data on the subject? And what loads would y'all carry in a full size .38 with a decent barrel length.

R. Moran

Staff member
No data, but
IIRC the 135 Gold Dot was the load NYPD approved for all 38s..including the 4" guns.

It's what I keep around for a " carry" load...if that were to ever happen.

Steven Cali

Quantified Performance
No data, but
IIRC the 135 Gold Dot was the load NYPD approved for all 38s..including the 4" guns.

It's what I keep around for a " carry" load...if that were to ever happen.
Yeah, not really planning on carrying it often, but I like to keep at least a few boxes of good defensive ammo on hand for every gun I own, preferably something optimized for it. Obviously I could just stick some wadcutters in it like I do with my snubs, but with the longer barrel I might as well take advantage of the potential performance increase.

roadstar

With the recent release of the Lipsey's 442/642UC, the 135 +P Gold Dot is listed as the round that the sights on these revolvers are regulated for. Does anyone know where to get this stuff? I've been watching my usual suppliers for a while and this load just isn't out there.

The 135 grain Gold Dot +P Short Barrel load excels in barrels 3 inches or longer. It shoots very nicely in my four inch Model 19s and my Model 15. Out of a 1 7/8 inch J frame it acts like FMJ when fired through 4 layers of denim into ballistic gelatin. I stopped using it in my J frames for that reason in favor of Georgia Arms Ultimate Defense wadcutters which are optimized for 750 fps out of a snub J frame.

The Gold Dot has been really hard to find post Covid. I am wondering if Speer is even making it right now. You might have better luck finding Remington 125 grain +P Golden Saber. My local big box had some recently. It tests really well and the few rounds I've fired of it showed excellent accuracy and very controllable out of service sized revolvers.

I'm also very interested in this thread. I've been using Remington HTP 125 gr +P in my 4 inch Model 15-4 simply because it's accurate, controllable, cheap enough to shoot without feeling bad and available from my LGS any time I want some. Plus it hits to the same POA as my practice loads.

I'm aware this is a very unscientific measurement of effectiveness, but every water jug or large fruit I've ever hit with it has been pretty spectacularly destroyed.

The Remington and Winchester versions of the FBI load (+P 158-grain LSWC-HP) work as well as they ever did from 3+" barrels. The Remington version is readily available, and is what I carry in my 3" and 4" K frames. Its main shortcoming is that it doesn't do well with intermediate barriers.

The most promising non-GDSB load IMO is Federal's 130-grain HydraShok deep. A review is here. I bought a couple of boxes and it ran 862 fps from my M49 and 898 fps from my 3" M10. It's been available more often of late, but it's pricey, ~$35 or more/box 20.