No-Fail Pistol AAR - June 8/9, 2019 Chicago, IL

Pressburg Consulting – No Fail Pistol – 2 day – June 8/9 2019 – Crete, Illinois

AAR

The range was located 35 miles south of the Chicago Loop on a private range. The flat range/bay we used was very wide and spacious. There were two large Pop up tents which made it great for sun and rain cover and there was a porta-john in close proximity to the range. The private range is a multi-use property. The owner of the property traveled on the road directly behind the range both days, operating equipment while the class was going on.

For the class I used a Glock 34 Gen 3, slide milled by ATEi, Aimpoint ACRO-P1, GLOCK mags with Henning Group hi-cap (+5) basepads, internals were Vickers mag release and slide stop with a Johnny Glocks trigger group, striker and plunger, JMCK AIWB Wing Claw 2.0 holster with Discreet Carry clips, Fenix Ammunition 147gr reloads (900fps I believe).

The host was Erik Tweedt, owner/operator of Archetype of the Gun. I researched local “Chicago guys” who were qualified to teach a medical class, Erik’s name came up. I hosted him for his “So You’ve Been Shot” classroom portion and have stayed in touch since. Erik is a professional student. I can’t even begin to tell you how many hours of training he has under his belt. From my experience, he is known for bringing in and hosting top talent (Chuck, Varg, Matt Jacques, Dave Spalding, just to name a few.) There were nine guys in the class including the host. There was an above average level of proficiency from all shooters in attendance.

Day 1

The class was scheduled to start at 8am and run until 5pm both days. Class began after everyone filled out waivers, collecting range fees, and going over a medical plan in case of a training emergency and medics were designated.

This class was shooting a lot of B8s at distance freestyle, SHO, and WHO. Chuck went into great detail about how to properly use the spray glue and the importance of “doing it the right way.” He went into a small spiel about how in the Army details like this matter, about how you can really tell a lot about a guy based on his attention to detail.

We started with several rounds of slow-fire at 25 yards. Chuck said something along the lines of, “you have 10 minutes to shoot the very best B8 freestyle you can.” Without giving away the POI of his class, on day one we worked our way from 25y to 20, to 15, to 10, to 7. Some drills were B8’s for pure accuracy and some other drills you were allowed the entire black zone of the B8 in attempt to push speed while maintaining a high degree of accuracy. The first part of the day was spent shooting freestyle, as the day progressed we covered SHO and touched upon WHO at the end of the day as well.

Chuck talked about the “flinches” a lot, about how having a mechanical advantage is a real thing, and about the importance of holding yourself to shoot a high degree of accuracy and how that translates in the real world, about how to put bad dudes down and about how shot placement is a real thing.

Day 2

The second day began with WHO shooting and then we worked our way into shooting steel, wide transitions on steel, shooting on the move freestyle, shooting on the move SHO. There was a piece of steel that had a small piece of steel beside the head to be used at the “hostage shot.” Each student shot a lot of steel, standing and on the move, including the “No-Fail” shot. After lunch we did a class Bianchi Cup and Chuck talked about some of the shooting “standards” guys were expected to be able to perform on demand at his old “job.”

After all the shooting was done we broke down all the tents, targets and swept the range for brass. The day finished a group talk from Chuck. Chuck talked about Warrior’s Heart and challenged students to change lifestyles if they were suffering from depression, PTSD, suicidal thoughts, substance abuse, etc.

Conclusion

At the time of the class I was a B-class USPSA Production shooter. I shot a dot for the first time in Chuck’s class. I had just received my slide back from ATEI the day before. I didn’t even have an opportunity to sight it in before the first B8 at 25 yards so I had to zero as I went along. At one point the ACRO came loose from the slide and thank God the host had packed the whole kitchen sink. He fortunately had the right tool to clap my ACRO back down so I could get back in the “fight.” With that being said, if you take Chuck’s class, obviously try to come to the class with a zeroed gun. Shooting a dot for the first time might not have been the best idea for Chuck’s class, but then again, it was a great opportunity for me to learn my new gear.

We were told to bring carry ammo and we did not get a chance to shoot our carry ammo. I assume we were supposed to see if there was a POA/POI shift and if so, what that shift was but that didn’t happen. I would have like to have shot my carry ammo to see the difference if any. Also, after listening to feedback from other students who took Chuck’s first No-Fail class in Chicago the year prior, it seemed like there was a much higher degree of pressure on the “No-Fail Drill.” Chuck talked about the pressure of being in that situation in real-life, what if the bullet kills your loved one instead of the bad guy or goes into a sea of people, but it doesn’t seem like that same level of pressure was equal to the first class.

There was also a small hiccup prior to the class, I guess we were supposed to receive an E-mail earlier than we did re: start time, directions, important info, etc but that E-mail ended up coming last minute and Chuck apologized for that. At the end of the class it would have been nice to been given a certificate of completion but apparently Chuck ran into some printing problems and he said his wife would mail the certificates to us.

The class was very demanding mentally, we shot a lot of ammo, we shot in sun and in rain. I was very happy with the private range, how well prepared the host was, and the students in the class were a great group of guys. As a B-class USPSA shooter I can go shoot B8’s on my own, work on Bill Drills, transitions, and other drills, but the opportunity to train with Chuck was worth the price of admission for me. If you have the opportunity to train with Chuck, I would say take the class.