Which 1911 single stack mags?

Vito

Gents go with the CMC 8 Round Power Mags. I carry them on duty and SWAT, they are solid performers. I have a 10 round "Railed Power Mag" from CMC. These mags are not on the market just yet. CMC is a great company and has sent me the new mag to "Test and Evaluate". The 10 round spring is heavier and the feed lips are "Rolled". They feed great and the feed lips are suppose to be bullet proof. I have run this mag thru multiple duty guns that are actually carried into harms way and they run great. Joshua from CMC can help you out for you engineering type dudes who want exact specifics. Hilton Yam also recommends the CMC Power Mags also. Check Hilton out at MSW.

Wilson's are good mags also, but they will not give you a Law Enforcement discount like CMC does. They really take care of the LEO Community. The Railed Power Mags should be out in about 4 weeks for general public purchase. I hope this help, Vito Out !!

spinmove_

So, I finally finished listening to the 1911/2011 podcast (yes, the extended 8 hour version). As that podcast has spurned an unhealthy desire to finally get my first 1911 I was curious to know if Wilsons and CMCs were still the go-to or if there’s been a change of thought on this since 2016ish.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

AtlasTinMan

I too will echo Wilson Combat ETM's. I have used Chip McCormick's, but prefer WC's because of the followers and form factor.

Attachments

• TRP Mags.jpeg
    TRP Mags.jpeg
    95.5 KB · Views: 14

Jordan G.

Which work for you?
As for my pistols I use two brands.

Wilson 47s 7 round /ETMs 8 round
Chip McCormick Power mag 8 round

I only mentioned the Wilson 47 since it’s a seven round magazine and the design of the mag was centered on a 7 round load. The ETMs are designed for an 8 round load since the 47ds fatigued with the additional round in the magazine.

Some people opt of the Wilson 47ds which is an 8 round magazine but the design exceeds the original 47 for a 7 round mag.

The Chip McCormick Power mag is a durable mag which is centered on carrying an 8 round load. The magazine spring is durable and can be left with rounds loaded in an extended period of time.

Hope this helps out.

shoobe01

Established
When I shot 1911 (to classes, etc so pretty well used in often bad conditions) mostly Wilson 47s. Also had perfect performance from a Cobra mag I was given by the rep.

Both shot enough I changed springs, and... nothing else. No feed lip issues, no follower replacement, nothing. Never a mag related stoppage on any gun, Springfield or Colt. I also had some USGI pattern mags from "Colt" and "Springfield" (I am sure they don't make them, but no other markings) that I mostly didn't use, as they were so blocky they were hard to get in and out of the gun. So no idea how reliable they are because ugh.

I have /heard/ people hate on Chip McCormick (CMC) mags. Mostly see them used in competition, where I also see a hell of a lot of stoppages generally.

sinister

I used Wilson 47Ds for a long, long time and the best I can say about them is "Meh." I replaced springs at least twice using ISMI chrome-silicon. Followers can eventually get mashed at the slide stop lifter shelf. I've given away most of the white-stainless ones I had (over two dozen) and have kept the black oxides.

I currently use 8-round Metalform Elites (there was a generation with ion-bonded tubes); the current matte-black finished Elites; and Cobra Mags. I'll probably try some of the 10-round Railed Power Mags.

Seth Thompson

I used CMC's extensively, for competition in the old days, and then on-duty patrol work for about five years. They were always reliable and durable, holding up to bad weather conditions and the usual bumps and knocks of the night shift world. I could leave them loaded for extended periods of time in magazine pouches, without compromising their function.

It's an intangible, but I preferred the "more hefty" feel of the CMC's to Wilsons...they seemed to be made of stouter stuff.

Tots

Gents go with the CMC 8 Round Power Mags. I carry them on duty and SWAT, they are solid performers. I have a 10 round "Railed Power Mag" from CMC. These mags are not on the market just yet. CMC is a great company and has sent me the new mag to "Test and Evaluate". The 10 round spring is heavier and the feed lips are "Rolled". They feed great and the feed lips are suppose to be bullet proof. I have run this mag thru multiple duty guns that are actually carried into harms way and they run great. Joshua from CMC can help you out for you engineering type dudes who want exact specifics. Hilton Yam also recommends the CMC Power Mags also. Check Hilton out at MSW.

Wilson's are good mags also, but they will not give you a Law Enforcement discount like CMC does. They really take care of the LEO Community. The Railed Power Mags should be out in about 4 weeks for general public purchase. I hope this help, Vito Out !!

Check back with Wilson on the discount. They have been giving me a military discount (20%, I believe) so probably offer one to leos as well.

And to the original question: if someone says they can’t get a Wilson 47 (7rd) to run, they’re lying! Seriously, the 47s and 47Ds for .45 and the ETM 10 rd for 9mm are what I run. I also like the return policy if anything is wrong with them.

I have also had no problems with Mecgar, Checkmate, and Colt/ Sprigfield/ Dan Wesson factory mags.

Chef

I found my Springfield pro runs with the tuned factory 7 rounders and the Wilson ETM 8 rounders. I compete with it occasionally

Spiff034

I used a pile of 47Ds for USPSA single stack division, and found that eventually I had to smash the sh...out of them to get them to seat. I ditched them for Tripps, and while I haven’t run the Tripps for an extended amount of time in competition, they did solve the feeding issues in my Dan Wesson vbob.

fra1ler

So, I finally finished listening to the 1911/2011 podcast (yes, the extended 8 hour version). As that podcast has spurned an unhealthy desire to finally get my first 1911 I was curious to know if Wilsons and CMCs were still the go-to or if there’s been a change of thought on this since 2016ish.

I am on my second time around listening to that modcast. I always had a healthy respect for the 1911, a few years ago I wanted one, but there were too many options and nuances I didn’t know which way I wanted to go with it. That modcast made me feel like having one is a necessity, and that it wasn’t antiquated. I was able to trade into a Springfield long beach operator. I know it’s not the end all be all, but I want to shoot it a bunch then send it off to have MIM swapped out, tweaked for reliability and customized some. Planning on sending it to Defensive creations. I didn’t want the TRP because I didn’t want ADJ sights or a bull barrel, the Non-rail TRP was on my list, but I had to trade what was available, I couldnt be too picky. I leaned away from the Dan Wesson even though Ill I hear about them is excellent but I wanted a carbon steel gun. IDK why, it’s just what I wanted.

For mags I bought some CMC powermag plus, and now I’m wondering if I chose wrong. I haven’t gotten to test them yet, havn't even recieved the gun yet, it'll be in Tuesday, but I’m wondering if I should have done more research and went with the standard mags and not the plus… or went with the RPM. Realizing that some guns just like some mags, provided they work is there any reason the powermag plus was a bad choice? I realize now that they are made for alloy frame guns when I was shopping, I saw it as powermag gen 2 mistakenly. Or if, as long as they run, does it even really matter? I also just ordered some CMC RPM mags to test also.

BJ Norris

Supreme Overlord of Customer Experience
Vendor
I am on my second time around listening to that modcast. I always had a healthy respect for the 1911, a few years ago I wanted one, but there were too many options and nuances I didn’t know which way I wanted to go with it. That modcast made me feel like having one is a necessity, and that it wasn’t antiquated. I was able to trade into a Springfield long beach operator. I know it’s not the end all be all, but I want to shoot it a bunch then send it off to have MIM swapped out, tweaked for reliability and customized some. Planning on sending it to Defensive creations. I didn’t want the TRP because I didn’t want ADJ sights or a bull barrel, the Non-rail TRP was on my list, but I had to trade what was available, I couldnt be too picky. I leaned away from the Dan Wesson even though Ill I hear about them is excellent but I wanted a carbon steel gun. IDK why, it’s just what I wanted.

For mags I bought some CMC powermag plus, and now I’m wondering if I chose wrong. I haven’t gotten to test them yet, havn't even recieved the gun yet, it'll be in Tuesday, but I’m wondering if I should have done more research and went with the standard mags and not the plus… or went with the RPM. Realizing that some guns just like some mags, provided they work is there any reason the powermag plus was a bad choice? I realize now that they are made for alloy frame guns when I was shopping, I saw it as powermag gen 2 mistakenly. Or if, as long as they run, does it even really matter? I also just ordered some CMC RPM mags to test also.

I highly doubt you'll have issues with the +. Years ago we ran some power mags and had issues with them dropping free when empty (round in the chamber, empty mag), and always attributed it the fact that follower was sliding forward, which the + is supposed to fix. All of the CMC mags I've come in contact over the years have been solid. The biggest single issue that I saw was with the 10 rd Power mags, and then plastic basepad that functioned as the stopper would get chewed up fairly easily, and you'd end up over-inserting the mag on the reg. Overall, I still prefer the Wilson designed mags. I've got some of very first 10 round 9mm ETMs that are over 10 years old that are still going super strong after all these years of Steel Challenge.

Runcibleman

Don't know why, but I've never had an issue with the Mec-Gar 10 round 9mm magazines, while sometimes there's a little choking going on with the Dan Wesson branded 10 round 9mm mags (probably Metalform mags).