EDC in a Suit in a Professional Environment

Low_Speed_Notper8or

So question in terms of concealment

Im going to start working a a financial planner. Only thing is the area where I live isnt the greatest and I will have to do a fair bit of appointments and bring documents to people etc wearing a suit.

Anyone find any holster/gun combinations that work for use wearing a tucked in dress shirt, slacks, and a jacket? I cant be showing up wearing cargo pants and a Tshirt or rocking a OWB holster like the feds and freaking out cilents. Also, while I have lost some weight (25 pounds in the last few months) Im still another 25 pounds away from appendix carry at least.

And anyone have any experience training and working in outfits like that? I never really thought about having to fight and carry in dress clothes as most of the time I just wore jeans and a shirt/jacket and showed up and trained and shot matches just the same.

Personally I currently carry a Walther CCP and was wondering if there was any solution to still be able to carry that, or if I had to go towards pocket carry with a .380 or some other solution

HopsCop17

Amateur
I wear a Glock 17 with a TLR-1HL in a Keroman V2 holster with RCS plastic clips appendix with a dress shirt and slacks multiple times a month. The clips allow me to tuck my shirt in and I can usually hide one clip behind my tie. The same could be achieved with any good appendix holster and tuckable clips depending on body type, dress, etc.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sunshine_Shooter

Established
I'd avoid pocket carry. The softer, finer fabrics of suits would make the extra weight & bulk in your pocket noticeable, and people in suits get picked over in great detail (I do it because I'm judging the suit itself). The constant wearing of a jacket is what I'd focus on. Something that holds relatively close to the body at the 3 o-clock position w/ tuckable hooks should do fairly well. Just make sure that your grip doesn't print when you button your jacket. A jacket should be buttoned whenever you're standing, and a well-cut suit will nip in at the sides a little, making a G17 grip stick out like a neon sign. Granted, if you've recently lost 25 pounds and plan to lose another 25, well-fitting suits aren't something you'll be contending with for a bit. Congrats and keep it up! I would definitely look into appendix, though. Most people who don't carry appendix don't realize how body-agnostic it really is, especially with a good holster.

I worked for as a Computer Consultant and in financial services company for 30 years and wore suits for most of that. One of the important things with a suit coat is that you are able to move well in it. If you can, have the suit jacket tailored around the gun. I had a tailor in my area that I knew from my gun club who would tailor my jackets. He has, unfortunately, passed away.

I carried a G27 in an IWB at 3 O'Clock for many years. I switched over to a S&W Shield a few years ago. I never had an issue with either gun printing. I usually use IWB Kydex holsters with a clip, easier on and off. Larger handguns like a G17 or a S&W M&P can be done, But I usually left those for winter carry when I was wearing a overcoat. I tried Pocket carry with the G27 but it ruined the pockets of two suits and it weighed down the trousers. If you have a decently tailored coat you could carry in a belt holster, but have someone do a check and see if it prints.

Belt Holsters are really something you have to try, everyone's body is different. I dropped about 65 pounds back in '08, so I had to get all new suits and I had the coats cut a bit larger so I can move better in them. The places I get my suits now would freak out if I asked them to tailor around a gun. I miss Armin (my old tailor). I have carried my G19 in a belt holster but I prefer IWB. I now work on a Military Base now, that is a restricted environment, so I cannot carry to work anymore. But with the weight loss (good job!) you can get some clothes that you can work with and see what works.

Low_Speed_Notper8or

Good info from you guys

The nice thing is I live in a pro gun state and the position I am looking for is with a Christian company. Also I would not be a employee of the company but a contractor so as long as I don’t break any laws I wouldn’t have to be afraid of getting fired like in another setting.

Seems to me like for suit carry there is no one answer. Having a subcompact with discrete clips under my suit seems like a decent idea for everyday low threat stuff. Then maybe a belt holster with something like a compact like a CZp-01 if I have to go somewhere shady and I’ll just keep my jacket on. Then for winter because where I live it keeps cold also maybe having a secondary piece for an overcoat pocket. I know that isn’t the most recommended thing but something tells me I’m not gonna clear a overcoat suit jacket and tucked in dress shirt quickly and get a clean draw

And def when I lose another 25 pounds I will have my suit tailored around my piece

Am I off base here or anything to add?

Frosty_Bear

https://www.highthreatconcealment.com/custom-build

Select the HTC option and go through the other options. You could carry up to 6+1 magazines and two blowout kits. You more than likely don't need that kind of fire power or level of medical gear on your person. But, I can see this working as part of a designated carrier program at a church, Synagogue, or Mosque, etc.

If you are able to wear a jacket the entire time, say not going out to the bar later, don't live in the heat, then this may interest you. This is generally a very professional set up for protection services, but no reason anyone can't use it.

Also, it's very expensive, so there's that

Low_Speed_Notper8or

Well been looking at this
This is worth looking at

Tom from Darkstar Gear posted some pics of my setup on his Instagram.

Yeah def looks like the discrete clips/utliclips coupled with a very light/thin gun seem to be the way to go. Im personally looking at the sig 932/238 series or a ruger LCR in a PHLster city special with discrete clips. Not a Roland special under a T shirt but those seem like choices I would carry every day. Especially with a larger piece in a OWB belt holster in the car or my desk for higher risk stuff
https://www.highthreatconcealment.com/custom-build

Select the HTC option and go through the other options. You could carry up to 6+1 magazines and two blowout kits. You more than likely don't need that kind of fire power or level of medical gear on your person. But, I can see this working as part of a designated carrier program at a church, Synagogue, or Mosque, etc.

If you are able to wear a jacket the entire time, say not going out to the bar later, don't live in the heat, then this may interest you. This is generally a very professional set up for protection services, but no reason anyone can't use it.

Also, it's very expensive, so there's that
Looks very cool, but a bit overkill for what I need. I dont need 3 double mag pouches, a subcompact on my person, maybe a reload in my pocket, maybe some gauze in my breast pocket, and a tq and medical stuff in a briefcase would be enough for what I figure my mission to be

MojoNixon

Established
I tried an Ulticlip a while back and it was an absolute failure at holding on to anything thicker than a couple pieces of computer paper. I paid for it but will not pay for anything with Ulticlips as the attachment method. It’s possible I just got a lemon but unless it’s a free T & E sample I won’t buy one and that Tier 1 looks like a good minimal set up.

Low_Speed_Notper8or

Well rented some guns and in terms of the mouse guns I really liked the Sig 238, I could hit well with it and I had such a enjoyable time shooting it I bought another box of ammo at insane rental counter prices.

So anyone know any duty grade 238 holsters for carry at 3 o'clock

I tried an Ulticlip a while back and it was an absolute failure at holding on to anything thicker than a couple pieces of computer paper. I paid for it but will not pay for anything with Ulticlips as the attachment method. It’s possible I just got a lemon but unless it’s a free T & E sample I won’t buy one and that Tier 1 looks like a good minimal set up.

Good datapoint, I will try to work with the discrete clips

Low_Speed_Notper8or

Update

I got a Sig 238 I really like it. I can hold one ragged hole at 7 yards which I find pretty good for a pocket gun. And between the locked breech, single action trigger, and lighter chambering I can really make fast and effective follow up shots. For its intended role as a deep cover/NPE gun it serves its role well given its limitations.

I have a pocket holster and for a bellyband holster but those are obviously stopgap/limited use things and I was wondering who made a duty grade IWB holster?

I see a lot of cheap Kydex with plastic clips and leather IWBs with spring clips and a few nice OWB leather options but I don’t see anyone like phlster making a holster

Oak City Tactics

Staff member
The high up belly band is an option. Something like the Clutch belt worn under the shirt. Check out Matt Jacques over at victory first. He uses a suit vest very well to keep concealed but allow himself to take off the jacket. Once you can go AIWB with tuckahoe clips that’s the way to go.