For Matt L.

Lazy3s

Thanks for the content u put out in the podcast. I am newer to the pistol game and have been trying to soak up as much info as possible. I have noticed u say a lot of negative stuff about the Springfield xd line and was curious why that is? I haven’t ever heard u get into why. I ask because u have a greater experience with this then I and have come to trust what u have to say.. I would appreciate the feedback. Thanks for your time

Farmboy20

Hey i got a quote from one of the mod cast and I can’t remember who said it or which modcast it was but the quote was “as long as the bullets go bang and cycle my rifle your getting 10 and 2 have fun bleeding out mf” and can anyone help my find that modcast? I remember it being very informative and hilarious at the same time

Chinny

Not Chubby
I'm pretty sure that was Chuck Pressburg in the Terminal Ballistics Modcast 125. Don't quote me on that, but that definitely sounds like him, and I just listened to the episode with that in it. Pretty sure it was that one.

Nowski

Lame. I like to listen to the podcast in my office and that was the best way to listen to it while working.

Ben H

@Lazy3s I carried a Springfield XD .45 Tactical for a couple years (around 2011-2014). Fisher talked in a podcast that mags would fall from the pistols inexplicably without the mag release being depressed. I can tell you that happened to me on NUMEROUS occasions from a Safariland ALS duty holster. Changed mag springs; same results. Happened so frequently that my paranoia made me eject / reinsert mag several times per shift just to make sure pistol was good to go. Also had at least a dozen times on the range where the trigger would not reset properly and I'd have to partially rack slide to get trigger to reset. Some might be OK with that for plinking, but I absolutely could not carry it with any certainty that it would fire when needed to.... If all that doesn't change your mind and you want a nice deal on a Springfield XD .45, with 6 mags - let me know, I might now a gut that has one taking up room in his safe.

Seth Thompson

Seeing a fresh "What's wrong with XD's" thread added in another place, I figured I'd add my personal experience.

In various training venues, both LE and "Normal Earth People", I've personally seen two XD's lock up during shooting, due to something malfunctioning inside, possibly, the grip safety assembly. The grip safety's normal function of locking the slide from moving is a definite no-go for a serious use gun, in my opinion, as it makes various gun manipulation tasks under stress much harder.

In high round-count classes, I've also witnessed two different guns shear the roll pin that retains the firing pin. The shooters noticed this by seeing the little broken pin half poking up from the slide top. This didn't stop the guns from firing, but it points to a serious design/manufacturing flaw.

By way of comparison, I've seen Glocks, M&P's, Sig 320's, etc, in high round-count environments that exhibited none of these flaws.

In the relatively short time that I've been teaching classes, in either the classes that I've taught or classes that I've been in, with the XD platform I've seen five out of the six had problems, including a catastrophic failure. Mag issues, cycling issues, ect. And had to pound the brass out of one.