Duty gun: magwell or grip plug?

Swobe1

We just got new 17's for our duty guns. I was going to put a Vicker's/Tangodown grip plug in but was informed I could put a magwell on if I wanted and could also put new basepads on my mags. Trying to decide what road to go down. Who's running what kind of magwells and what basepads on mags? I don't want a competition magwell, something lower profile. Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If Gen 4, I would say go with a magwell. It’s going to plug the grip AND give you a teeny tiny bit of help slamming a new magazine home. Just my thoughts.

BooneGA

Staff member
WARLORD
I prefer the agency magwells on Gen 3 and 4 guns. They are very low profile as magwells go and dont have the sharp edges as some of the competitors. I have used one on my Gen 3 19 for the past few years and dont have a single complaint.

Rick

JLL2013

The Magpul magwell is a pretty decent one if you're shooting for a low profile design and is cheap to boot. I've had no issues using it with Taran base pads, stock magazines or Magpul mags.

Swobe1

This is why I asked. I was looking at the Raven but I haven't looked at them enough to know what other ones are out there to look at.

This is why I asked. I was looking at the Raven but I haven't looked at them enough to know what other ones are out there to look at.

The RCS Magwells are fantastic. I think as far as quality machine work goes, the Freya continues to impress me. It’s just a marvelous looking piece, and slicker than greased sh*t on ice

Swobe1

It will be great when/if the Raven Freya magwell is ever produced again. It's been pending, at least for the G19 for a LONG time.

This is why I asked. I can't find one anywhere. I think I'm going to try the Magpul one and see what it's like. Seems relatively inexpensive and if it works well with stock floor plates, all the better.

nightchief

Fighter of the Daychief
Agency has blemished magwells for $70...
http://www.agencyarms.com/blemished-magwells

I also have one I an G19.4...very happy with it. I have a Magpul on a G17 and its ok, but not as nice as the Agency. Agency gives a little extra on the grip of a G19 and adds a little weight. Not sure I can quantify it it being better at aiding in mag changes, but it certainly seems like it is.

Mine is in HD and competition use.

bjw182005

I am using an Agency magwell on a G19 Gen4 and while I do love it, having handled the Freya, I actually prefer it. It is very close, and I do like the Agency option as a more minimalist magwell that is great for duty or maintaining some semblance of concealability.

Mcameron

there is almost 0 benefit to running a plug......i honestly dont know why people advocate them.

im running the Agency arms Magwell on my G17.....at the time it was the only one that worked with the medium backstrap......its low profile and hasnt given me any issues.

Swobe1

there is almost 0 benefit to running a plug......i honestly dont know why people advocate them.

im running the Agency arms Magwell on my G17.....at the time it was the only one that worked with the medium backstrap......its low profile and hasnt given me any issues.

My main reason for wanting to run one was because I want something to keep water out when standing in the rain and the soon to be coming snow.

Grayman

Established
I agree with the above that magwells make sense.

Personally I like Taran’s low profile magwell. Strikes the right balance of size and function.

MrMurphy

Not an option at the moment for me, but pending a swap to 17s agencywide (finally getting to me) i may get a magwell. No use for a plug in the last 20 yrs of Glock use.

Swobe1

Not an option at the moment for me, but pending a swap to 17s agencywide (finally getting to me) i may get a magwell. No use for a plug in the last 20 yrs of Glock use.

Yeah; I'm thinking I'm going to find a magwell. Thanks for the info!

Paul053

Amateur
I've tried Agency, Suarez and Zev. Here are the reasons why I stuck with zev pro. Agency and Suarez are very similar with the main difference being that the Suarez has bevels that are supposed to allow you to grip the mag base pad better, in theory... In practice it's weak. The agency and the Suarez both are two piece wells that have a grip plug that the magwell screws into. This creates a "dead zone" if you will that serves no purpose in funneling your mag. Where as the zev is a one piece well. Where the dead zone is on the Agency/Suarez is a actual ramp and seeing where all the brass marks are on my mag well I engage this part of the well most. When you look at the surface area of the funnel compared to the Agency you can see that it's much larger without creating a huge foot print vs a race magwell like the dawson Ice. Secondly the zev also has a front lip that allows me to put a little more pinky pressure on the gun during recoil. One alleged downside you hear of is the screw on the back strap. Let me tell you whomever complaines about it hasn't even used it or wants to hate it. It's a non issue. Slr rifleworks makes a one piece magwell as well that's similar to the zev.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

David Mayeur

I have been using the ZEV Pro Magwell for over a year now. I highly recommend it. I do NOT recommend the ZEV Pro Plus.

I have found the ZEV Pro magwell works with most magazine extensions available on the market, but certain extensions will hit the magwell when slammed into the gun. As an example, the TTI extensions using a pin to retain the extension on the magazine will hit the plug area of the magwell when inserted, if the pin is positioned higher. Falkor Velocity extensions will also hit the edges of the magwell. I have had both TTI and Falkor magazines stick in the magwell from being slammed in there. This is a reason I do not advocate competition magwells without magazine extensions. If the magazine gets stuck, you need to be able to rip it out.

As you can see in the photos below, the ZEV Pro is extremely generous for its small size when compared to the much larger ZEV Pro Plus. In the photo on the right, you can see where the marks from the extensions have hit the ZEV Pro. In the third photo, you can see where the same extensions have impacted on the ZEV Pro Plus, but have resulted in much deeper gouges.

32047185546_48d5d8f6cf_z.jpg
39276935785_d97f441998_z.jpg

1544807274508.png

I have used many different extensions, but I prefer the Henning Group Blue Line +4 Extension over all others. It is not as high of a capacity as the others, but it is much slimmer, includes "feet" to ensure a solid purchase to rip the mags out if needed, and it DOES NOT hit any magwell that I have tried it in.

From left to right: Glock 17 round factory magazine, Glock 17 round magazine with a +2 factory extension, Henning Group +4 Blue Line Extension, Falkor Defense +5 Velocity Extension, Taran Tactical +6 Extension.

I do not recommend the Falkor extensions only due to size and weight. They function very well.

1544807413381.png
1544807423550.png