KKM Comp timing issue (contacting slide?)

djsticky

Amateur
After a few thousand rounds since initial installation I decided to detail strip and clean my Roland slide. I've not had any malfunctions but I believe I've had a shift in POI since I zeroed last. I have had to adjust my RMR twice since I re-zeroed for 124g HST +Ps about a month ago. After I confirmed my RMR screws were not loose I thought I may need to scrub out my comp. This may or may not be true and isn't really the reason for my post but if anyone has input on that it is welcomed.

When I took the comp off I noticed some marring on the top of the comp facing the slide. There is a very slight blemish corresponding on the slide but it's hard to tell. I was immediately concerned but finished scrubbing out the comp and cleaning the rest of the slide. When I went to reinstall I was going to pay close attention to timing it properly to make sure a gap was present between the comp and the slide. After a good 15 minutes of wondering if I was dumb or not I concluded that the threads only grab the barrel at one point on the circumference and I could only achieve one fully tightened position. Looking down the gun from a firing position the comp stops threading on tilted slightly to the left. When I back it off to level it I cannot tell if it is touching the slide or not. I do not notice any resistance spinning it on until it stops completely. This is also the position it stops if I spin it on with the barrel out of the slide.

I put in a set screw and put the slide on the gun. If I pull the slide back a bit, slide a thin piece of paper between the slide and comp, then release the slide it pinches the piece of paper very firmly. The other option is to spin it off one full turn which leaves a pretty large gap between the comp and the slide. I also tried putting the same piece of paper between the comp and slide with the comp unscrewed then screwing it on. Doing that, the comp stops solidly slightly tilted to the right hand side of the slide.

So, what do you all think? I feel instinctively that my slide hitting the comp is probably not a good thing. What is normal fit for this KKM combo? How much gap do you guys have?

I have attached many pictures and will attempt to get them in an order that makes sense and edit this post to reflect what each picture is showing.

Marring on the comp.
marring_comp_scaled.jpg

Possible marring on the slide
marring_slide_scaled.jpg

Cant of the comp when it stops screwing on naturally.
stop_position_scaled.jpg

Cant of the comp when it stop spinning with paper inserted (same perspective as previous picture).
stop_position_paper_scaled.jpg

Gap (or absence of gap) when backed off slightly from stop point.
flush_scaled.jpg

Gap when unscrewed one full turn from natural stop point.
unscrewed_scaled.jpg

BooneGA

Staff member
WARLORD
Its definitely impacting the slide. Contact KKM and they will take care of you.

Rick

ggammell

Does not pass up an opportunity to criticize P&S.
I had kind of a similar experience. I backed it off one full revolution and set the screws. The gap is not that large though.

djsticky

Amateur
Seems like a Kkm comp and kkm barrel sold as a set should fit damn near perfect.
That's what I thought. I have a hard time believing that it is SUPPOSED to fit like the last picture in my post.

If I just got one that has slightly jacked up threading that's cool, it happens.

djsticky

Amateur
Update: This may be a Gen 5 only issue. My gen 5 slide is a tiny bit longer then my gen 3 slide. There is an ample gap when installing on the gen 3 gun.

BooneGA

Staff member
WARLORD
Update: This may be a Gen 5 only issue. My gen 5 slide is a tiny bit longer then my gen 3 slide. There is an ample gap when installing on the gen 3 gun.

That's good to know. That, including the issues with some ALS holsters is a good reason to ensure you get a gen 5 specific comp.

Rick

djsticky

Amateur
That's good to know. That, including the issues with some ALS holsters is a good reason to ensure you get a gen 5 specific comp.

Rick
Yep. I've gotten spoiled not having to clean my light so I'm going to spin it off one revolution and go shoot tomorrow, see if there is any change in POI or issues. I don't think there would be.

I have emailed KKM but haven't spoken with them yet, I'll update after I do. Also waiting patiently for their Gen 5 comp, I may do a bit more research to see which other comp is the most effective while also as reliable as the KKM.

djsticky

Amateur
What issues has the ALS holster and Gen 5 with prior generation comps having?

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk
The gap between the comp and the slide bevel catches on the ALS mechanism frequently so the gun is stuck and you have to reach over and disengage the ALS again to get the gun all the way out.

Gypsy EDC

Yep. I've gotten spoiled not having to clean my light so I'm going to spin it off one revolution and go shoot tomorrow, see if there is any change in POI or issues. I don't think there would be.

I have emailed KKM but haven't spoken with them yet, I'll update after I do. Also waiting patiently for their Gen 5 comp, I may do a bit more research to see which other comp is the most effective while also as reliable as the KKM.
Just an fyi a light coating of chapstick on the WML lens allows you to simply wipe it clean when leaving the range

Reactions: MOT

djsticky

Amateur
Just an fyi a light coating of chapstick on the WML lens allows you to simply wipe it clean when leaving the range
Yea I usually smear a bit of oil on it and it wipes off.

I shot a few hundred rounds today with the comp backed off one turn, all is well. I'll still talk to KKM to see if the old gen comp SHOULD be able to fit near flush with the gen 5 but I doubt it based on the slightly longer slide on the gen 5.

djsticky

Amateur
To follow up on this: I spoke with KKM and they confirmed that my last picture shows the correct spacing for a previous gen comp on a gen 5 gun. They are still planning on releasing a Gen 5 specific barrel and comp combo to account for the slightly longer slide and bullnose.

So PSA to those looking to comp a Gen 5 or currently using a KKM comp. Check your clearance! Even if you don't feel any resistance check it to be sure and you will probably have to spin the comp off one full revolution.