So I've thought a thing and need to know if its dumb.

tmoore

I have a very high and aggressive grip when it comes to shooting pistols. i carry a p10c every day and i also shoot competitively with a p10c from concealment, set up identical to my carry gun. my grip on the gun will keep the slide stop lever from engaging the slide like 50% of the time when im shooting fast or just under the general pressure of a match as (i assume) i'm gripping the gun tighter than i am on a flat range just doing drills. now ive been trying to retrain my grip to fix the problem but when the buzzer goes off allot of that shit goes out the window and I wind up back at the very aggressive and high grip iv been using for a long time. plus i shoot well with that grip and its a comfortable and natural feeling for me.
so what about taking that ambi slide release and chopping that bitch to lefty only to get that big fat lever the hell out of my way. the p10 goes home automatically when inserting a full mag (or less, iv been able to do it reliably with any amount of ammo) with anything more than a mouse farts worth of force and even if i need to send the slide home manually I've always used the slingshot method, so i never use the slide release lever anyway. Am i dumb? or is it not such a crazy idea?

thanks for your input guys!

Sunshine_Shooter

Established
I would practice releasing the slide in some fashion, be it the slide release or the slingshot method. The auto-forwarding you currently rely on isn't reliable and shouldn't be counted on.

Outside of that, I don't see any real problems with your main idea.

Before you commit to eliminating the left-side release completely, you might try just trimming it down. I had the same problem with my Glock 19, no matter which slide release I used. I cut about half of a Vickers slide release off and problem solved. See pic. 20181018_174733.jpg

tmoore

I would practice releasing the slide in some fashion, be it the slide release or the slingshot method. The auto-forwarding you currently rely on isn't reliable and shouldn't be counted on.

Outside of that, I don't see any real problems with your main idea.
im regularly practicing the slingshot method for sure, by no means is the auto forward my relied upon method it just happens so easy its what happens most of the time.

tmoore

Before you commit to eliminating the left-side release completely, you might try just trimming it down. I had the same problem with my Glock 19, no matter which slide release I used. I cut about half of a Vickers slide release off and problem solved. See pic. View attachment 2985
cool man, thats more along the lines of what i had in my head rather than totally chopping it.

Ryan St.Jean

I am generally not a fan of using customization to bandaid over training issues.

I don’t know your leave of experience/ skill (and am not asking). If you were a GM and customizing something made you perform better rock on. If you are a newer or less experienced shooter I would focus on properly applying the fundamentals to get a better result which would probably nullify this problem. Just my .02.

Happy Friday.

What specifically could the OP do with regard to properly applying the fundamentals that will keep him from riding the slide release?

tmoore

I feel as though my fundamentals are solid and without getting into it ive been shooting/ competing/ training for a long time now. its relay only a problem with the p10c with its larger mag release compared to a glock which iv never had a problem with as far as this is concerned. im gonna go ahead and mod this sucker, ill post pics when im done so you guys can make fun.

AmmoHouse

Amateur
I’ve noticed this same thing happening when I’m shooting my G19X...but never happens when I shoot my P320‍♂️

Frailer

Before you commit to eliminating the left-side release completely, you might try just trimming it down. I had the same problem with my Glock 19, no matter which slide release I used. I cut about half of a Vickers slide release off and problem solved. See pic. View attachment 2985

Interesting. I might give this a shot. I have long thumbs that tend to ride the slide stop more often than not.