Surefire Fury DFT and 18650 batteries

I ran mine down on both surefire and aftermarket 18650 batteries this weekend. Both times the light never got more than warm to the touch and ran for 2 hours +/- 5 minutes.

What were the environmental conditions when yours was overheating?

Rick

It was about 80 degrees Fahrenheit with 55% humidity at night.

I think it is just 2 of my 3 SF batteries. Also it gets warm, not unreasonable at all now that I’ve seen it run longer.

I’ll reach out to SF and see if they want to swap the batteries for me.

(For reference if anyone is interested in a visual example)

BWDuty

Brad, what we have here is a perfect example of a ghost. It is a widely accepted fact that spirits can turn flashlights off and on, just ask any member of a paranormal TV show.

Seriously though, I'm having the same problem. I'm using a Fury DFT that I just got two days ago with the 3400mah Surefire 18650s that they designed specifically for this flashlight. I climbed on top of my dryer to adjust the vent that came loose, turned the flashlight on, and within about 15 seconds it turned off. It got pretty hot too. I knew the battery wasn't anywhere near dead because I had only used it about 10 minutes since fully charging it. When I stuck it on an intelligent charger it still showed about 90%. I have three of these batteries that I purchased from B&H Photo (extremely reputable site) and I haven't tried the other two yet. I also have a ton of Surefire 123A and K2 RCR123A since I've owned a Fury Intelibeam for years. I haven't tried those either, but I really don't want to since the primary reason I purchased this light was it's high output and ability to use 18650s. I'm pretty concerned at this point after dropping over $200 on the light and batteries and unsure what to do.

Arete

Been using my DFT and SF brand 18650's since May, on patrol.

Had some inconsistent results early on, but I didn't do any consistent testing of it, either, so can't say for sure what was happening. One of the issues I noticed was the light shut off after about 20-30 minutes use while I was on a call and had the light on for awhile . I theorized that it was due to my using gloves (Mechanix), which held the heat in, and thus the light shut down, but it may have been that the battery was partially depleted to start with.

Since then, I've tested each of the 3 batteries 2x each, starting from a full charge, with a stopwatch running.

All three of my SF 18650s will run the light at 100% brightness for about 90 to 95 minutes, and then the brightness starts fading over about 5 minutes, and the light shuts off. Ambient temp was about 70 degrees. One of the tests I wore the same gloves, and kept the glove to the bezel to see if that affected anything. It didn't.

The bezel gets pretty warm, reaching the highest temp at about 10 min, and remains that way for the remainder of the 90 minutes. It's not too hot to touch, but you won't want bare skin touching it for a prolonged time. I just move my hand slightly away from the bezel.

I'm very happy with the DFT and will buy others, and also the Scout variant.

CK837

Amateur
I've had the same issue with the Surefire 18650's shutting off in the Fury after several minutes. A friend of mine who is also using them for work had the same issue and called Surefire. They told him some of their batteries have a faulty thermal switch and sent him replacement batteries. I'm in the process of testing all of my batteries to find out which ones need to be replaced.

kwilliams

Brand new fury tactical, both with surefire red 3500mah micro usb battery that came with it and with a 3400mah non usb surefire dims to maybe 100 lumens immediately after turning on. Both batteries are brand new and fully charged and work fine in an M600DF. Will be calling surefire Monday to see what may be the issue.