Introducing: Project Nemesis - P320 Roland Special

rudukai13

Pro Internet User
What dot mount are you using on your frame mounted gun? Is it something built specifically for the 320, or is it a universal mount?

The mount in the teaser pic I posted is by Carver Customs, it's their "universal" optic mount. Unfortunately in current form it's a bit too "universal" to work on a P320, but with some feedback and suggestions I gave them they're working on a different version that will be a bit more P320-specific - and hopefully have a couple other neat features that makes it a little more practical...

MojoNixon

Established
I went back and looked at your teaser pic. The mount looked really, really, high,, but then D’oh, the Homer Simpson moment struck me and I realized the slide isn't there.
And then I noticed your silver mag release. I don’t recall you mentioning anything about it. Did you and I missed it?

rudukai13

Pro Internet User
I went back and looked at your teaser pic. The mount looked really, really, high,, but then D’oh, the Homer Simpson moment struck me and I realized the slide isn't there.
And then I noticed your silver mag release. I don’t recall you mentioning anything about it. Did you and I missed it?

The mag release is actually anodized red, just appears silver in the black and white pic. It's one of Springer Precision's extended pieces for the P320;

https://shop.springerprecision.com/SP-P320-9-40-Extended-Magazine-Release-Production-ESP-SP0206.htm

It's actually one of the first parts I ordered when I started this project, but I'd been sitting on it cause I realized it probably extends the release a little too much on a pistol that will be used for carry purposes. With the frame-mounted optic version, though, that wasn't as much of a concern so I threw it on.

That said, I think I'm going to go with a Compact grip module+ESP magwell for the frame-mounted optic version as well rather than the X-Five grip module in that picture. Make it just about identical to the original build, the only real difference being the frame-mounted optic as opposed to a slide-mounted optic

rudukai13

Pro Internet User
...And with that, have ordered another Compact X-Change kit to get the Compact slide assembly (without the optic, this time) and Compact grip module I need

rudukai13

Pro Internet User
To keep things a little less confusing, from this point forward I will be delineating between the two pistols using "RS320" (Roland Special) for the slide-mounted optic version and "CW320" (Cola Warrior) for the frame-mounted optic version

rudukai13

Pro Internet User
Apologies for updates being a bit slow lately everyone, work always gets more than a bit chaotic this time of year (currently working 7 days/week, 90+ hours/week). Planning to make it to the range this evening though!

rudukai13

Pro Internet User
Just back from the range, another 300 malfunctionless rounds for a total of 3,750 on the RS320. Worked on slidelock reloads a bit tonight, which showed a need to continue working on slidelock reloads as I bobbled several of them. Overall an uneventful trip to the range.

Work schedule still hasn't permitted me to get to the gunsmith to get the additional parts installed, but at the latest I will have a lull in the next two weeks and can get it there then. Question then becomes how quickly my gunsmith can get the work done and get the pistol back into my possession...

MojoNixon

Established
Just back from the range, another 300 malfunctionless rounds for a total of 3,750 on the RS320. Worked on slidelock reloads a bit tonight, which showed a need to continue working on slidelock reloads as I bobbled several of them. Overall an uneventful trip to the range.

Work schedule still hasn't permitted me to get to the gunsmith to get the additional parts installed, but at the latest I will have a lull in the next two weeks and can get it there then. Question then becomes how quickly my gunsmith can get the work done and get the pistol back into my possession...
You have to watch out for those “lulls”. I was supposed to get one at the end of June. We’re now about 44 weeks into the year and 42 of those weeks have been overtime. I’m old and tired but still hitting the range tomorrow morning.

rudukai13

Pro Internet User
You have to watch out for those “lulls”. I was supposed to get one at the end of June. We’re now about 44 weeks into the year and 42 of those weeks have been overtime. I’m old and tired but still hitting the range tomorrow morning.

My current line of work is significantly tied to the election cycle, so I'm fairly gauranteed a lull after November 6th. Until then though just about every spare waking moment is spent on work

MojoNixon

Established
Just an FYI for those following this thread.
SG Ammo has 124 Winchester NATO Spec (Q4318) on sale for $186/1000 with shipping now.

rudukai13

Pro Internet User
I finally - FINALLY - have time to take the RS320 to my gunsmith this afternoon to get the Apex trigger and Romeo1 shroud installed and have them re-zero it. While I'm there I'm going to see if I can have them quickly remove the iron sights from the slide of the CW320, hopefully while I wait. More updates coming soon!

rudukai13

Pro Internet User
RS320 is back in the hands of my 'smith, and the CW320 inches closer to completion;

IMG_3102.JPG

This is still the version of the "universal" mount that doesn't quite work properly on the P320, but the modified parts that are P320-specific should be on the way any day now. This mount sits about as low over the slide as it can get while still being functional (once you remove the iron sights);

IMG_3113.JPG

rudukai13

Pro Internet User
Is rail/frame flex a concern at all for the CW320?

To my understanding, yes and no. Obviously there's going to be some flex any time you're mounting an accessory to the rail of a polymer pistol (see any high-speed video of a Glock with WML being fired to see just how jellow-y your frame can actually get). That being said, in the conversations I've had with Bobby Carver he's explained that the grip module of the P320 is built a bit more rigid than most other polymer-framed pistols, and the modified parts he's working on should reduce any flex even more. As to whether there will be enough flex even with the modified parts to effect zero...I have no idea yet. This one's an experiment - and failure is ALWAYS an option!