Mousegun discussion and picture thread!

BennyAdeline

Amateur
The guys say they have a mousegun discussion coming soon, so I figured we could talk about them.

My favorite is a Beretta Alleycat in the trusty .32acp. I’ve shot it a lot, am accurate at in the house distances, and don’t feel under gunned for how I use it. 8 rounds of .32 with more on tap will make somebody cry in their milk for sure.

I’ve had it almost 15 years! Just replaced the night sights last year.

It’s mostly used as a pocket gun around the house when I don’t feel like strapping something onto my belt.

Frailer

My NAA Black Widow is a sub-optimal solution to just about any problem for which a handgun might be required. It is marginally better than a sharp stick, but significantly better than a rabbit’s foot.

It does, however, ride quite nicely in the pocket during yard work, and it will go places a J-frame can’t.

dc78599114dffcf0b7edac61678c8179.jpg

Nomad_RC

Cross posting from the Facebook discussion. The only mouse gun I have in my stable right now is my RM380. I know, "Ew, Remington," but the gun runs well for me and I have put a lot of rounds through both this and other RM380s. I'm comfortable with the platform and the price was right for me. It's used as my "Sunday go to meetin'" gun because I'm one of those weirdos that still tucks in my shirt when I got to church (mostly because the wife wants me to) so my JMCK 2.5/G19 doesn't work there. With the right slacks, the gun conceals well but is still readily accessible.

The weak link for the RM380 is holster support, pretty much all of my preferred holster makers don't make anything for it (DSG, Phlster, JMCK, CCC) so it's a pocket gun only for me. That presents a problem for my other use for a mouse gun . . . morning jogs. The first time I tried to jog with that little pistol in the pocket holster, I made it about 3-4 steps before I went back to the house and degunned.

A few months ago (maybe closer to a year?), I got turned on to rimfire J-Frames by Caleb and started looking at the 43C and 351C as a running gun. I could go through my thought process on that, but Chuck Haggard and Caleb pretty much spelled everything out for the why during the wheel gun podcast. A 43C/351C in a Dark Star clip-on is a setup that I think would be a lot better for being armed while out jogging.

0785706d11f3e68d498b2ff075411312.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Disclaimer: I work in the firearms industry as a designer and engineer. My posts do not represent the opinions or positions of my employers, past or present.

rudukai13

Pro Internet User
Question for the masses; What is the current accepted definition of a "mouse gun"? Sub-9mm? Singlestack only? Does a G42 count but not a G43? Sig P238 but not P938?

Ryan St.Jean

Question for the masses; What is the current accepted definition of a "mouse gun"? Sub-9mm? Singlestack only? Does a G42 count but not a G43? Sig P238 but not P938?

For me it is notably smaller than subcompact. A G26/43, Walter PPK, j frame are subcompact. A Ruger LCP, Beretta .22/.25/.32 and similar are tiny or mouse gun sized.

Erik

Amateur
I spend most of my days in shorts and t-shirts and often carry a Kel-Tec P32 in .25acp it has a 7 round capacity and is both tiny and lightweight. I used to carry a Beretta in .25acp which has a safety but it now just sits in the safe since the purchase of the P32. The size and weight of the Kel-Tec gives concealed carry options from everything from board shorts to speedos.p32.jpg

Ryan St.Jean

My tiny gun is a Ruger LCP in .380. I have an IWB kydex holster and a safariland pocket holster. When I can’t carry another gun I can always find a place for the little LCP.

I would like to get a Beretta .32 and at some point will.

Nomad_RC

In Landfair's original post on the Facebook group, it was anything sub .38 Special/9mm (.380, .32, .25, .22 LR/WMR).

Ryan St.Jean

In Landfair's original post on the Facebook group, it was anything sub .38 Special/9mm (.380, .32, .25, .22 LR/WMR).

I think a size component is implied along with caliber. A Browning Buckmark is a .22 and also full sized. A Walter PPK is a .380 and dimensionally the same size as many single stack 9mm’s.

MOT

I used to have a beretta tomcat. I inherited it from my dad. It was his pocket piece. Untold number of rounds through it. I found it to be very reliable and accurate for me. It was a little heavy however and rusted easily. Eventually the slide cracked at the front under the barrel. I would get slide bite and the trigger would pinch me with the overtravel. Still loved the gun though and someday intend to replace it.

tmoore

you bastards have me seriously considering trading my a cz pcr for a sexy little tom cat inox. iv been thinking about a mouse gun, as my newish job is a NPE as far as blasters go. my edc is a p10c but it just isnt an option for my time at work. this tomcat might just fit the bill with the correct holster.

Dodge37

Does the Kel-Tec PF9 count? It meets the weight requirement, but is on the larger size. Believe the recoil is harsh because it is so light. Does anybody have experience with one?

Dodge37

PF9
Weight unload 12.7 oz empty
Length 5.85”
Barrel 3.1
Height 4.3”
Width .88”
Trigger pull 5lbs
Per there website.

MojoNixon

Established
Does the Kel-Tec PF9 count? It meets the weight requirement, but is on the larger size. Believe the recoil is harsh because it is so light. Does anybody have experience with one?
I’ve never had a PF9. I did have a P-11 way back in the day. Worst trigger pull in the history of ever. That said, it was 10+1 and would accept S&W 15 round mags and fit my hand well. The sights made Gock plastic sights look good.

MojoNixon

Established
5D0AA5AA-817F-4E74-A514-3682BCD1F43A.png
Might be a touch big for a mouse gun but my DAO LC9 is my take it with me gun when I can’t take my comped G19 with TLR-1HL with me. I love this little guy, all my mags have +1 extensions and the beaver tail Hogue grip sleeve feels really good. I’m almost as good with this out to 15 yards as I am with my 19.

Dodge37

I have heard that the LC9s with the stiker is a much better trigger than LC9. But I have heard the P-11 pull is terrible. Thank you for the information.

MojoNixon

Established
I have heard that the LC9s with the stiker is a much better trigger than LC9. But I have heard the P-11 pull is terrible. Thank you for the information.
I’ve not shot an LC9s. The DAO pull is only about 6 pounds I’d guess. I like the trigger. Easy to stage. It’s like a good DA revolver trigger. I’ve seen people shoot mine and really funk things up. Mostly because they were expecting a Glock type pull. Oops, not quite. Once you explain to them treat it like a revolver and a light goes on and things drastically improve. I wouldn’t trade mine for an a model. I’ve got about 3K rounds thru it with zero issues of any sort.

MojoNixon

Established
I’ve not shot an LC9s. The DAO pull is only about 6 pounds I’d guess. I like the trigger. Easy to stage. It’s like a good DA revolver trigger. I’ve seen people shoot mine and really funk things up. Mostly because they were expecting a Glock type pull. Oops, not quite. Once you explain to them treat it like a revolver and a light goes on and things drastically improve. I wouldn’t trade mine for an a model. I’ve got about 3K rounds thru it with zero issues of any sort.
That should say I wouldn’t trade mine for an s model.