Speer Gold Dot 62gr and 75gr.

Has anyone done any ballistic gel testing with ether of these two loads? There isn’t any gel tests of the 62gr on YouTube only a couple with the now discontinued 64gr verson and only one from TFB with the 75gr gold dot. Are these good home defense rounds? Or is there something better? Will used in my BCM 16” and 14.5” midlength’s. Thanks.

ggammell

Does not pass up an opportunity to criticize P&S.
The 64 Test will be the same result as the 62. They adjusted to match market trends. They are both very good defensive rounds.

Update; found an even better deal at Bone Frog Gun Club, they have Speer Gold Dot 62gr for $55 for 100 rounds. So I ordered 200 rounds plus 100 rounds of the Federal’s bonded FBI load that can be hard to get for $80.

ggammell

Update; found an even better deal at Bone Frog Gun Club, they have Speer Gold Dot 62gr for $55 for 100 rounds. So I ordered 200 rounds plus 100 rounds of the Federal’s bonded FBI load that can be hard to get for $80.

There was a recent discussion on the 556SBCT rounds on Discord. That round is optimized for SBRs.

Arete

75 GD is optimized for SBRs and will expand in bare gel at 200 yds, out of a 11.5" SBR.
Peformance out of a 16" barrel does not suffer.
The above based on testing by a large PD which was provided to me.

75 does better than 62 in gel, particularly through laminated auto glass.
The above based on testing done by Speer that the provided to me.

We have gone to 75 GD for all our carbines.
I cannot speak as to pressure out of non-sbr length barrels.

You might want to take a look at the trajectory of the different rounds.

With the 75 GD, using a 50 yd zero, with an 11.5" barrel, we are getting about 6" drop at 200 yds, so it's not a 50/200 yd zero like you often get with 55 grn out of a 16" barrel.

So I got some 62gr Gold Dots delivered today, the only thing I noticed is a little bit of inconsistency on the exposed lead points, some rounds show more lead while others have less lead showing with even some copper jacket covering parts of the lead. 596804F1-A590-42C0-BB0F-2AF696F63BBA.jpeg2136FB7E-29D3-4F05-ACE2-0BE5BB5CBC99.jpeg

Is this something that could affect performance or am I just being nitpicky?

ggammell

Worry not. Most soft point rounds I’ve seen are a little different round to round.

MojoNixon

Established
The 62 Gr. Federal Fusion load looks similar. Mostly lead spill over but without the appearance of copper covering some of the lead. 150 Gr. .308 Fusions look similar as well. From what Doc Roberts told me some time ago the 62 Gr. Fusion projectiles are made on the same machinery as the 64 Gr. Gold Dots.

Stobocor

My department just switched from the 62 to the 75 grain Speer gold dot sighting increased performance from the 75s

Arete

In May this year, with a new Colt 6933, on which I mounted my Razor HD II 4.5-27, I achieved 5 round group of 3/4" at 100 yds with 75 GD.

ggammell

In May this year, with a new Colt 6933, on which I mounted my Razor HD II 4.5-27, I achieved 5 round group of 3/4" at 100 yds with 75 GD.
Ha! A scope that big on a gun that small must look hilarious. Pics?

And those results mirror that of Molon’s results of the GD 75.

Arete

Yeah, it did.

To mount the scope (Seekins bases) I had to remove the top handguard and the backup rear sight.

Needed the stock to be longer than I could possibly get it, so the first several groups were very interesting . . .

Sidebar - I'm going to send 200 rounds of 75 GD to the FBI to get it put through their ballistic testing, since they don't list it on the most current list of cartridges they've tested.