Kuhl Pant - Subjective Review - Moved From FB

Bravo1ResQ

Amateur
Kuhl pants, a subjective review.
I have been wearing Kuhl pants for 5 years now. When I found them, I liked them so much I bought every one that was in my size. I’ve used them for training days, combatives/defensive tactics sessions, range days, search warrants, hiking, camping, and as an everyday pant. I have multiple pairs of the Kontra Air, Rydr, Revolvr and Outkast. Each pant has its own individual features that separates itself from the other. As an example, the Rydr is made of a heavier more robust material, the Kontra Airs are light weight with strategic vent cuts for hot weather, and the Revolvr are made of this stretchy material that aid in non-traditional movement. In this write up, I am not going to review the specific features of each model of Kuhl pant that I own because the pros and cons I have experienced are the same across every model that I own.
(Pros) Kuhl pants fit relatively true to size. I have a 35” waist and 33” inseam. I carry appendix inside the waist band (aiwb) 85% of the time, most recently with a Keepers Concealment holster (previously I was using an INCOG or Raven vanguard 3). As such, I wear a 36/34 sized pant in all sizes and am quite comfortable. The pockets on the Kuhl pants include the typical 5 pocket style that most jeans have, a slant cut pocket on the thigh of the right leg that I use as a cell phone pocket for my iPhone6, and a straight cut pocket on the left thigh that I don’t typically use. The knees and crotch are articulated to allow for a wider range of movement. The pants are secured around the waist with a snap and have an internal button/flap for extra security. The seams are all either double or triple stitched giving the wearer confidence the pants can withstand solid use and abuse.
(Cons) While I really like these pants but I have had a failure in every pair I own except in the Revolvr. The snap on the Rydr stopped securing the waist band after three months of wear (my best guess is the spring ring the snap fits into wore out or broke). The Outkast belt loops ripped off the pants after a year but under two. I also experienced a rip in the knee during a defensive tactics session in a separate pair. The Kontra Air split at the buttock while conducting a low squat during a USPSA match after having them for about 8 months. I also experienced a rip in the knee seam while kneeling during a search warrant. The only reason I believe I haven’t experienced a failure in the Revolvr yet is because they are my newest pair.
(Conclusion) I really like Kuhl pants. They are comfortable, don’t look all “tactical timmy”, and the pockets are functionally well placed. I will caveat that the advertised use of these pants is for hiking and everyday wear (#CityHikerGuy). I am using these pants outside of their advertised use. When I first began buying Kuhl pants they were about $50 a pair. Now, they are about $70-$80 per pair. For pants that begin to fail after about a year of constant use, $80 is beginning to get a little steep. This is especially true when there are other, less expensive, just as durable options. Unless there is a redesign in their pants, I don’t think I will buying replacement pairs as I wear out the ones I currently have.
Keywords: Kuhl; Kontra; Revolvr; Rydr; Outkast