Long sleeve hot weather shirts

PatMcG

Looking for people's go to for hot weather long sleeve shirts. I'm looking to cut back on the sun exposure on long days a little bit as it seems I'm getting some skin spot scraped off more often than I'd like. I've been using Huk fishing shirts so far but wondering why other stuff is out there. NO BUTTON UPS.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Billabong etc offer long sleeve loose fitting sun shirts. I enjoy mine in and out of the water and it feels more like a conventional fabric than that pseudo wetsuot/underarmor feel that traditional surf shirts have.

MojoNixon

Established
I found a longsleeve shirt at Costco called 32 Heat. Kind of thin t-shirt like material. Not really hot, good for winter layering but I wear them at work even with temps into the 80's without overheating. About $10/$12 at Costco or $25 on Amazon. I like them enough that I bought 4. 2 black, 2 grey.

MrMurphy

Check REI.com. Lot of options. Ex Officio, Royal Robbins and others make stuff for this, though a bunch will be button ups.

Tropleo

as longeye suggested, the velocity boss rugby will be your jam for that piece of toast (pun intended)

Matt0311

Good thread and a good idea to wear long sleeves in the sun. My dad died of melanoma and it wasn't an easy death. I'm wrapped up like the invisible man these days.

krax

I recently started wearing sun sleeves with short-sleeved shirts. I've only tried two so far, but I can highly recommend the OR Activeice sleeves. The bonus of the sleeves vs a long-sleeved shirt is that I still get some ventilation through the arm holes of my shirts and I can pull the sleeves off when the sun starts going down.

Wake27

Boss Rugby is awesome. I asked and they said that they're waiting to see how the short sleeved crew neck is received before deciding to produce a long sleeved crew neck so if you're a fan, let them know.

Running a Patagonia “cool daily hoodie.” A few color choices, but very very thin. Breathes awesome so far in the 85+ degree temps, and I am sure I’ll continue to use it as we get above the 110 mark for whenever I have to go outside.

Black Diamond also offers a similar UV shirt, and if .mil they have a decent discount on ExpertVoice.

These are fairly climber/granola/hippie looking shirts, but may blend in better depending on where you live.

Blitzer613

Amateur
Running a Patagonia “cool daily hoodie.” A few color choices, but very very thin. Breathes awesome so far in the 85+ degree temps, and I am sure I’ll continue to use it as we get above the 110 mark for whenever I have to go outside.

Black Diamond also offers a similar UV shirt, and if .mil they have a decent discount on ExpertVoice.

These are fairly climber/granola/hippie looking shirts, but may blend in better depending on where you live.

For the cool daily hoodie what other clothes would you wear this with for a class and for a simple range trip? I usually wear an Under Armour long sleeve compression shirt under another shirt to all classes and range trips. That does a pretty good job for sweat management and keeping me from getting sunburned.

For the cool daily hoodie what other clothes would you wear this with for a class and for a simple range trip? I usually wear an Under Armour long sleeve compression shirt under another shirt to all classes and range trips. That does a pretty good job for sweat management and keeping me from getting sunburned.

I wear this with carhart or other hiking pants since I’m expecting hot temps and lots of sun. I don’t rock anything under the shirt, as that’s adding layers to moisture management and reducing airflow.

I normally run a belt set up, but armor can go over the shirt and doesn’t have any real run points I have identified. This day was just messing around with some gear, and in the low/mid 80’s.

99B9641D-03B8-4B76-B6AC-563AE26A0D54.jpeg

If sun protection is the ultimate goal, these hooded shirts from Pelagic and Aftco are killer. Columbia is also legit. The Huk stuff is pretty good too but I’m getting over the kryptek everything.

Attachments

• CF664E90-3B47-45AE-9386-92A2750209C3.jpeg
    CF664E90-3B47-45AE-9386-92A2750209C3.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 30

migra

The Columbia Zero Rules long sleeve shirts and the Castaway Hoodie are good to go for South Texas heat and sun. The pro discount makes em pretty cheap, too. I've been eyeing the RailRiders Sahara Sun hoodies as well.

Edited to add: Outdoor Research Echo Hoody is also good to go for high heat/humidity.

Last edited:

MOT

Aftco hoodies are what I run. Haven’t tried other things mentioned yet. Of note, the Aftco hoodie material does not conceal at all in my opinion. Very happy with the sun protection aspect, however.