Suggestions Please

Freedom Forged

I just ordered a new AR-15. I've only ever used a non-magnified optic, an Aimpoint PRO. I would like to put a magnified red dot type reticle optic on this new rifle. I think the magnification will help me some with my aging eyes. I have no experience with 1-4, 1-6 or 1-8 optics or brands. I'm reading now but I would like some suggestions from the experience you guys have. My budget is only 600-700, is that even doable?

More info: I'm not LE or MIL. Uses will be selfdefense training and practice from 5 yards out to 300 yards.
FF

N

nate89

One thing you want to do is really solidify what features you are looking for. That will go a long way in narrowing down your selections. You want to consider things like quality of the glass, turret style, reticle, daylight bright reticle/reticle style, magnification range, how close the bottom end is to a true 1X, ruggedness, etc. Of course your budget is going to self-select many of the options generally recommended here, like the Razor 1-6

In that price range you might want to look at the Vortex Viper PST gen 2 1-6. They fact that it has a daylight bright center dot is a big deal for me. It is also a 1-6, has decent turrets and glass, and with an msrp of 1k, you should be able to find one either within your 6-700 price range, or close enough that you should go for it anyway.

MisterHelix

The Trijicon Accupoint 1-4 with the German #4 reticle can be had for under $800 if you look for a deal. The fiber optic illumination works well, similar to an Acog. Decent glass, reputable manufacturer, no batteries.

Trijicon does make a battery powered unit (accupower) but I cannot speak to that one.

N

nate89

I will be picking up the 1-6 accupoint in the next week, and I can confirm that the glass is very good, the turrets are as well. When you are out in the sunlight, the green illumination, in my experience, was excellent. So much so that I had to turn it down a bit to prevent it from blooming. In my experience, working indoors, especially paired with a weaponlight, the center dot does not cut it brightness-wise. You still have the reticle, and I have been able to work around it and get good hits, but something to consider.

Freedom Forged

I will be picking up the 1-6 accupoint in the next week, and I can confirm that the glass is very good, the turrets are as well. When you are out in the sunlight, the green illumination, in my experience, was excellent. So much so that I had to turn it down a bit to prevent it from blooming. In my experience, working indoors, especially paired with a weaponlight, the center dot does not cut it brightness-wise. You still have the reticle, and I have been able to work around it and get good hits, but something to consider.

Thanks nate89. I appreciate it. I think a 1-4 or 1-6 is the way I want to go but having never used one or even looked through one. The last time i shot steel at 200 and 300 i had a little trouble. Im thinking the magnification would help me some. I have no idea how well they work for close work.
FF

JHaddock07

Amateur
Do you still have the Aimpoint PRO, or are you starting from scratch?

Will your budget increase with time? or is the 6-700.00 budget your absolute limit, regardless of how long you hold off on purchasing an L.P.V.O.?

Freedom Forged

Do you still have the Aimpoint PRO, or are you starting from scratch?

Will your budget increase with time? or is the 6-700.00 budget your absolute limit, regardless of how long you hold off on purchasing an L.P.V.O.?

I still have the PRO
6-700 is what I can spend now, with time my expenditure for an optic would increase no doubt.

JHaddock07

Amateur
I still have the PRO
6-700 is what I can spend now, with time my expenditure for an optic would increase no doubt.

I'd continue on with the PRO then until your budget allows you to afford the glass that you WANT, not settle for something lesser than you'd be able to afford right now.

I would recommend shifting your focus away from 1-4x and looking into at least a 1-5 or the 1-6x line of L.P.V.O.s based on my personal experiences. While you can absolutely still get effective hits on target well beyond your 300 yd. limit using a 1-4x, it makes for a much more comfortable shot with that extra 2x of magnification that you net by using a 1-6x. As far as close in or home defense scenarios, I haven't had any "deal breaking" issues with target acquisition, etc. with the optic dialed down to the lowest magnification setting.

Outside of that, the quality of glass you open yourself up to is substantial when you break into the mid level offerings from most of the major "P&S approved" manufacturers. Personally I'm a fan of Vortex products, but once I'm back on an actual salary, I'll likely get into a Steiner or something of similar quality / price point / reputation.

Also, if you haven't already done so, factor in the cost of a quality scope mount, and some sort of "cat tail" or "quick adjustment" knob as well, as those two items alone can eat up a fair portion of your current budget.

There are quite a few great reviews both on the forum and the Facebook group (if you use Facebook) from a wide price range of optics as well.

Freedom Forged

Thanks JH, I'm way out of my lane on these optics. I'm trying to educate myself though . I spent a little extra on a lite weight rifle and I don't want to negate that by adding a heavier than necessary optic. I had considered an aimpoint magnifier but that senecio seems bulky, heavy and cumbersome to me. Maybe not though, I have no firsthand experience. For the price of a T-2 and a magnifier it looks like I could have a nice LPVO.

JHaddock07

Amateur
@Freedom Forged

Not that there's anything wrong with that setup given the success of that combination throughout the G.W.O.T. within the SOF community, but I think you're right. The L.P.V.O. (in my opinion) is the way of the future by bridging the gap left by the Aimpoint / Magnifier combo or the Elcan. You're right about price point though, especially if you're not opposed to buying on the secondhand market.

Pat Tarrant

Custom testicles
Staff member
For that budget, some other options may be viable. While less than ideal compared to other duty optics out there (Razor, T5Xi, etc), I picked up a Steiner P4Xi for a training gun, and it's been doing well so far (insignificant number of rounds and sample size to make a real recommendation). The glass is good, the dot is daylight bright under all conditions I've used it (including outdoors, bright sun in Virginia). It's probably about 1.25x at the bottom end, but that hasn't been an issue, and the dot and reticle are much crisper than the slants I see in my T-1's.

bad22inc

Love my Primary Arms 1 X 8 with ACSS reticle. Give it a look. Kind of a poor man's ACOG

Sent from my SM-T713 using Tapatalk

voodoo_man

Established
I've had good experience with the Leupold VX-R Patrol firedot. The 1.25x isn't enough to give you distortion close up which would be noticeable for any type of of close shooting.

If you are looking to make hits out to 300-500y with a 16" AR15 maybe a BDC is something you would be interested in? Plenty of them out there.

More magnification is never a bad thing...