IFAK for classes

I have plans for taking Steve Fisher's Essential Handgun Employment call this June. I have been trying to put together things that I will need for the class, and want to have and IFAK on me during the class. My problem is that this is the first formal training I will be taking, and I don't know what I should have in a kit.. A quick google search shows that there are many opinions on this matter. I am having a hard time narrowing down what should be in this type of personal kit for classes.. Thanks for and help you may have to offer.

ggammell

Does not pass up an opportunity to criticize P&S.
JHaddock07 has a great question.

If you're going to end up with one (putting together yourself or buying a whole one) I'd say buy one complete from a reputable operation (i.e. Dark angel). They've done the kit selection for you. You get what you need, nothing you don't and it's quality. If you can, see if Dark Angelnwill be in your area. If you sign up for the class you get one of their kits included. Training + Kit = WIN

You can also reach out to Fisher and see if you really need one for the class. Every class I've been in starts with a medical brief and the instructors supply medical equipment in case something goes bad.

Train on!

What medical training do you have, and what medical equipment do you currently possess?
I'm embarrassed to say that I have almost no medical training. I am CPR and AED certified, but have no training pertaining to stopping blood lose. My reasoning in having it on me during the class is that if I were to be accidentally shot, someone would have things right there to stop up the holes.

JHaddock07 has a great question.

If you're going to end up with one (putting together yourself or buying a whole one) I'd say buy one complete from a reputable operation (i.e. Dark angel). They've done the kit selection for you. You get what you need, nothing you don't and it's quality. If you can, see if Dark Angelnwill be in your area. If you sign up for the class you get one of their kits included. Training + Kit = WIN

You can also reach out to Fisher and see if you really need one for the class. Every class I've been in starts with a medical brief and the instructors supply medical equipment in case something goes bad.

Train on!
I will definitely check to see if there are any classes available in my area.

As far as Steve's class, on his website under class requirements a tourniquet is required. He suggests having an IFAK on you, but it is not required.

I've no firsthand experience with them, but I have heard decent things about the MyMedic MyFAK. The Basic level kit appears to be more of a BooBoo kit, bandaids and such. but the Premium kit at least has a RATS (which I would swap for a CAT), some Celox, and an IBD among other bits.

Having been through Kerry's (or more accurately, Ross') class twice, I'm partial to Dark Angle myself for an IFAK. I have a slightly larger, heavier stocked kit that I have on hand for multiple-injury incidents. Basically the basics, times 2-3 of each.

JHaddock07

Amateur
Disclaimer: "Tactical / Emergency Medicine" is not my profession. That being said...

@Rjones9292 In no particular order here are some basic items that would be good to have...
  • Tourniquet(s) either CAT or SOFTT-W
  • A set of sterile gloves
  • Combat Gauze or Celox
  • H Bandage or Israeli Bandage
  • Bandaids
  • A small roll of Medical Tape
  • Compressed Gauze
  • Sharpie (to mark the T.Q. with the time of application, or whatever other use you find for it)
It should go without saying...But organizing your equipment in a way that makes sense to you should happen as soon as you get your hands on it. You don't want the first time you get eyes on these items to be when you most need them. If nothing else, make sure the TQ's are prepped and are the most accessible item/s (again in my opinion).

Also, in recognizing that your medical training is limited, I would strongly suggest you find a class in your area and get your learn on. While I believe it's paramount that you have professional instruction on how to most effectively poke holes in people with bullets; The reality of the matter is that you're much more likely to employ medical training / equipment on any day of the week, than you are to use your gunfighter skills (in the civilian world at least).

As @ggammell said, I would imagine that Fisher is going to have an E.C.C. plan in place, to include the necessary equipment to treat injuries.

One additional thought: Should you buy your own/assemble your kit, I would suggest purchasing a pouch for the kit that differs greatly in color from your kit/gear (think, red/orange/black,etc). This will allow other to readily spot your kit if needed. (If you're concerned with blending/matching your gear, build a second kit or transfer components.

Longeye

Established
Use Fisher's packing list. Don't add stuff you do not know how to use and are not getting trained on.
Since this is your first class, you will already be flooded with info, and probably basic gear setup problems. There is no need to compound them by adding yet another thing to your belt.

Fisher will have the med stuff covered, and he runs a safe range in any case.

Realistically, you are more likely to encounter a cardiac or brain or stroke event in daily life.

I am not saying med kit is a fad, but a hell of a lot of training happened for decades before the tac trauma trend started. And there were few injuries despite the lack of IFAK in 2-5 day pistol, gauge, and carbine courses.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Thanks for all the info.. It gets me thinking alot more about taking some medical training for sure.. I'm just having trouble finding it in my area unfortunately.. I think for the class I'm just gonna take a tourniquet.. Just gonna wait until I have knowledge on how to use things in a med kit before I start buying stuff.

Thanks again. It is much appreciated.

Thanks for all the info.. It gets me thinking alot more about taking some medical training for sure.. I'm just having trouble finding it in my area unfortunately.. I think for the class I'm just gonna take a tourniquet.. Just gonna wait until I have knowledge on how to use things in a med kit before I start buying stuff.

Thanks again. It is much appreciated.

You might look into your local Community College/EMS services. If they don't offer something, they could point you in the proper direction. Even a First Responder/EMT-Basic class is better than most people have.