RDS Battery Life Testing

IkeInTexas

Vendor
VIP
I'm starting a series of unscientific test to see what the battery life of various Red Dot Sights are if left on their highest setting. Some sights I noticed had a rated battery life of 5 years if left on setting 5 of 8 but only rated for 25 days if left on setting 8 of 8. I'm just curious to see how accurate this is and how various optics compare.

It should be noted that this is purely anecdotal and is not intended to be a scientific test in any way, shape or form.

Having said that, I will be taking several steps to at least attempt to mitigate a few variables. It's far from perfect but should at least provide a little insight. Take it for what it's worth.

I will be testing several optics. I plan to conduct this test with multiples of each model to get a larger sample size.

-All optics will be brand new, never used.
-Batteries will be an Energizer Lithium ECR2032 battery or Duracell DL1/3N Lithium.
-Batteries will be sourced from a reputable supplier and will not be the battery supplied with the optic.
-Optics will be stored indoors in a climate controlled environment (no temperature extremes).
-I'll be recording serial numbers too to compare if newer updated versions come out.

First is the Trijicon MRO.

Time stamp:

02/09/2017
1606 CST.

safe_image.jpg

20170211_081325.jpg

I will be updating this thread as time goes on. Coming this week will be an Aimpoint Micro. If you have any thoughts or suggestions, please let me know.

Ike

Longeye

Established
I suggest picking up a digital multimeter. You can check initial out put as well as remaining volt and amps over time. The multimeters are not expensive and are handy around the shop and house once you figure out what they can measure. I picked mine up at the automotive parts store, but Home Depot or Lowe's would have them as well.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

IkeInTexas

Vendor
VIP
I suggest picking up a digital multimeter. You can check initial out put as well as remaining volt and amps over time. The multimeters are not expensive and are handy around the shop and house once you figure out what they can measure. I picked mine up at the automotive parts store, but Home Depot or Lowe's would have them as well.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

That's a great idea.

Yondering

Cool test. A couple suggestions from a newbie, if I may: how about including an Eotech of some sort, and the Primary Arms MD-ADS? I know the MD-ADS is a cheaper optic compared to a T1, but they claim 50,000 hour battery life. Mine has been on one of the medium-high settings for 6-8 months now but I haven't documented it.

Also, how are you planning to judge a low battery? By visual comparison of brightness, or battery voltage?

It might be interesting to note initial brightness of each optic at the highest setting, maybe compared to a baseline we're all familiar with like the Aimpoint T1 or T2.

N

nate89

The EoTech has an auto shut off, so it won't really be a set and forget thing. You could turn in on max brightness and just count how many 8 hour cycles it lasts.

Arete

Years ago I tested a EO 552 with NIB Energizer Lithium AA and NIB Duracell alkalines. I turned the optic up to max and let it run until it auto shutoff at 8 hrs, and then repeated. I got 88 hrs of life out of both types of batteries.

Another datapoint, I have several AP micros and leave them on position 9/12, never turning them off, occasionally turning them up to max for a few hours at a time as needed and then back to 9. I get 28 to 30 months out of them before the dot dims and I replace the battery.

IkeInTexas

Vendor
VIP
For the next round of testing (that starts this week with an Aimpoint PRO) I will be measuring the battery output at the start of the test and at intervals throughout. I'll also do the MRO and T2 again as well with battery output testing.

More to come!

Ike

IkeInTexas

Vendor
VIP
Day 38 on the MRO and I found this. I'll check the battery output tomorrow but my guess is the battery is about to die. I'll be keeping a close eye on it over the next few days.

Ike

Jdexter

Staff member
Day 38 on the MRO and I found this. I'll check the battery output tomorrow but my guess is the battery is about to die. I'll be keeping a close eye on it over the next few days.

Ike

That will be surprising if there's that much of a variance between them. Mines been on for 6 months every day and still going strong.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

IkeInTexas

Vendor
VIP
Newest test just started. I'll now be recording the output of the batteries from here on out and also doing voltage tests at intervals throughout the test.

Today is an Aimpoint PRO.

Time stamp:
3-23-2017
1914 CST

Battery expiration:
March 2024

Battery output at start:
3.25V

20170323_191039.jpg

20170323_190752.jpg

20170323_195628.jpg

-Ike

If I'm reading this right, the Trijicon MRO, set at the highest intensity setting of 6, begins to show the low battery flicker at 38 days; but Trijicon claims only 25 days of use at the #6 setting. Nice to know that they underestimate the optics run-time rather than overestimating the run time as your test shows a 50+% increase over the claimed run time. Obviously, different variables such as temp, etc will change the results of a test like this, but this has been a very relevant test for most of us who frequent this site. Thanks for taking the time to do these "average man's" tests.

IkeInTexas

Vendor
VIP
If I'm reading this right, the Trijicon MRO, set at the highest intensity setting of 6, begins to show the low battery flicker at 38 days; but Trijicon claims only 25 days of use at the #6 setting. Nice to know that they underestimate the optics run-time rather than overestimating the run time as your test shows a 50+% increase over the claimed run time. Obviously, different variables such as temp, etc will change the results of a test like this, but this has been a very relevant test for most of us who frequent this site. Thanks for taking the time to do these "average man's" tests.

Thanks!

Once this one dies I'm going to start a 2nd test on another new MRO as well and this summer I'll be doing tests with the optics in the trunk of a car to get exposure to Texas heat. I also found that even with the dot flickering, if you drop it down to setting "4" then the flicker goes away. I'm curious to see what the next test will show. It's almost like the flicker is a "low battery" alert which would be kind of cool I guess. I'm keeping a close eye on this one since I'm sure it will die any day now.

Ike

IkeInTexas

Vendor
VIP
Starting an RM07 test today.

Time stamp:
3-29-2017
1410 CST

Battery expiration:

Battery output at start:
3.28V

17635419_1744810252432273_9155940488447754665_o.jpg
17554219_1744810249098940_1852638437231933125_n.jpg

17621901_1744810285765603_3944673119550457109_o.jpg

17636929_1744810245765607_1154071690693553773_o.jpg

Ike

IkeInTexas

Vendor
VIP
Aimpoint PRO update.

Starting volts: 3.25
Current volts: 1.93
Days elapsed: 23

FB_IMG_1492422931464.jpg

Aimpoint T2 update.

Starting volts: NA
Current volts: 1.65
Days elapsed: 59

FB_IMG_1492422925394.jpg

Trijicon RM07 update:

Starting Volts: 3.28
Current Volts: 2.92
Days Elapsed: 17

FB_IMG_1492422919279.jpg

Ike

Rabbit

We have PROs on our SWAT rifles and the battery life has been somewhat disappointing. We've made it standard practice to shut them off when not in use. We change batteries in all our gear every 3 months whether they've been changed in the middle of that interval or not, and some of the PROs are not making 90 days. Not sure what setting people have been leaving them on. Probably high.

AresGear_Jake

Stiffer Is Better
Vendor
We have PROs on our SWAT rifles and the battery life has been somewhat disappointing. We've made it standard practice to shut them off when not in use. We change batteries in all our gear every 3 months whether they've been changed in the middle of that interval or not, and some of the PROs are not making 90 days. Not sure what setting people have been leaving them on. Probably high.

I've been told by Aimpoint reps that a shut-off Aimpoint drains the battery faster than it would if it were left on (at a low-medium setting). Maybe stop turning them off?

PatMcG

My PRO lives life on setting 8/10 and I hit 2 years in the beginning of march and changed the battery just because.

Rabbit

I've been told by Aimpoint reps that a shut-off Aimpoint drains the battery faster than it would if it were left on (at a low-medium setting). Maybe stop turning them off?

We started shutting them off in response to the bad battery life from being on. Maybe we'll try to clicks up.

They spend the majority of their lives in a truck sitting in a climate controlled bay, so i don't think it's a temperature issue