Climatic considerations for plate storage

Ski85

For background, I'm currently assigned to investigations and as a result have an unmarked take home vehicle so that I can be available for call outs as needed.

Along with other gear, I keep my PC in the trunk so that it's available or warrant service and, should the need arise, active shooter situations.

With the colder than normal weather we're experiencing right now in the PNW I've been bringing my PC into the house at night, rather than leaving it in the truck vault. As a result, it's always in the back of my mind that if I end up rushing out I might forget to grab it on my way out the door.

Do I actually run the risk of cracks or other damage if I leave them in the trunk vault as temps start dropping below freezing, or am I being overly cautious with my plates, with regards to how well they'll stand up to the weather?

I never really gave it much thought when I was still in the Army, and as far as I know never had any issues, but also never experienced really low temps when I had plates.

Plates are Hesco 3610s for reference, and are stored flat.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Fatboy

Established
My plates were exposed to a wide range of temps from around 0 degrees (possibly colder, we had a few winter training cycles felt cold as fuck) all the way up to around 120+ degrees in the middle east. I wasn't gentle with them in peace or at war and had no issue with the lowest priced technically acceptable government issue, so I don't think you'll have too many (if any issues) with them, as long as they are a decent set to begin with.

Ski85

My plates were exposed to a wide range of temps from around 0 degrees (possibly colder, we had a few winter training cycles felt cold as fuck) all the way up to around 120+ degrees in the middle east. I wasn't gentle with them in peace or at war and had no issue with the lowest priced technically acceptable government issue, so I don't think you'll have too many (if any issues) with them, as long as they are a decent set to begin with.
Pretty much what I'm thinking. I assumed I was probably being overly cautious with them but I thought it was worth putting to the SMEs. Likewise never had any issues with extreme highs, but never really experienced below freezing temps with my plates while I was still doing the Army thing.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk